THQ Sales Are "Even Worse Than Feared"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
THQ Sales Are "Even Worse Than Feared"

THQ's uDraw tablet tanked on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, but analysts say that in itself isn't enough to explain the publisher's dramatic sales shortfall.

THQ cut its third-quarter sales forecast, originally announced at between $510 million and $550 million, by a stunning 25 percent yesterday, placing the blame for the slide squarely on the shoulders of the uDraw GameTablet [http://www.amazon.com/uDraw-GameTablet-Studio-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B003ZTTCBQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323365777&sr=8-2]. "Despite uDraw's strong success on the Wii in fiscal 2011 and market research indicating strong demand for uDraw on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, initial sales of our uDraw tablet and software on these high-definition platforms have been weaker than expected," THQ President and CEO Brian Farrell said in a statement.

It's never good when a game tanks, but analysts say that THQ has bigger problems than just a single bomb. "Management blamed poor sales of uDraw on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 for the miss. However, the $130 million revenue downside suggests that there was likely some incremental weakness elsewhere," Cowen & Company declared. "At a roughly $50 for uDraw across all platforms, including the Wii, it would take a 2.6 million unit shortfall to account for the full revenue miss; THQ's planning implied less than 2.6 million units of total uDraw sell-in."

Furthermore, according to Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter, the big cut in third-quarter guidance means THQ likely won't be able to meet its financial targets for the 2012 fiscal year, making it the fourth year out of the past five that the publisher has finished with a loss. He also echoed the belief that THQ's woes go well beyond just uDraw.

"We believe sales were lower-than expected for many titles in addition to uDraw, due in large part to a pattern of mediocre reviews and a very crowded release slate for the videogame industry," he said. "Reorders were also likely below expectations as the company's release slate over the first half of the year was pretty thin apart from Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine [http://www.amazon.com/Warhammer-40-000-Marine-X360-Xbox-360/dp/B003S2MXRA/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1323366015&sr=1-1]."

Things aren't looking much better for 2013 either. "Given its declining licensed and core properties [apart from Saints Row [http://www.amazon.com/Saints-Row-Third-Xbox-360/dp/B004QEV0MI/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1323366049&sr=1-1]] and an uncertain release schedule next year, we remain unconvinced that FY13 will be profitable," he said, adding that the company's cash balance could "become an issue" next year as well.

Source: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-12-08-thq-sales-even-worse-than-feared]

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Well you obviously didn't do enough market research then. The Wii has a different audience than the 360 or PS3. You have families buying uDraws for their kids.

worldruler8

Aug 3, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Well you obviously didn't do enough market research then. The Wii has a different audience than the PS3 or PS3. You have families buying uDraws for their kids.
sense the PS3 is so awesome it gets the right to be listed twice.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
It was successful on the Wii? Who needs a digital etch-a-sketch?

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
worldruler8 said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Well you obviously didn't do enough market research then. The Wii has a different audience than the PS3 or PS3. You have families buying uDraws for their kids.
sense the PS3 is so awesome it gets the right to be listed twice.
Dammit. Nice catch. It is fixed now.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Seventh Actuality said:
The what? I have literally never heard of this thing before. Why is there a Wiimote in that etch-a-sketch?
The same reason the classic controller has to plug into the wii-mote, it can't send it's own wireless signal.

Fudj

May 1, 2008
Yopaz said:
Oh well, back to the drawing board I guess.
I see what you did there :)

OT: blaming mediocre reviews???!! try blaming the mediocre games, better games sell well and beat piracy, since games are expensive especially in the current financial climate alot of people either wait for what they know is going to be all they want it to be or they wait for a review or two to come out.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
I'm thinking they should blame their marketing for this.

Seriously, how many people are aware this product even existed until now?

illmuri

Jan 24, 2011
Well it certainly wasnt that triple AAA Homefront game, and its certainly not their fault because market research indicated strong demand for it on PS3 and Xbox360.

http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2008/08/business-requirements-are-bullshit.html

Yegge has a good explanation as to how "market research" is gathered and this seems like a textbook case.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Crono1973 said:
It was successful on the Wii? Who needs a digital etch-a-sketch?
some one at THQ seemed to think the world and his dog needed one!

Andy Chalk said:
"We believe sales were lower-than expected for many titles in addition to uDraw, due in large part to a pattern of mediocre reviews
You get mediocre reviews if your games are mediocre (or as me grandad would say, shit breeds shit)

Andy Chalk said:
and a very crowded release slate for the videogame industry
cause this is the first year that happened!

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
I can't even think of what kind of games would use this thing. Maybe it would be good for a Mario Paint kind of thing or as a mouse replacement for an RTS. THQ's love of Online Passes probably isn't helping much either.

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
Chicago Ted said:
I'm thinking they should blame their marketing for this.

Seriously, how many people are aware this product even existed until now?
I've seen commercials for it. Granted, the commercials still made it seem utterly boring.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
First of all, what's uDraw? Never heard of it before. Maybe they should have invested in some marketing...

Secondly, what have they released lately that's been of any interest. Yes, Saint's Row the 3rd, but I don't think that falls under this financial report. Basically, if you want to make money, you need to make games and make sure the games are good so people buy them. Is that so hard to figure out?

Orcboyphil

Dec 25, 2008
Dear THQ

If your noticing a decline in sales for your properties on the PC in the UK, that's because your idiots and you don't release your games on Steam. There have been a few of your properties I was going to but this year but decided not too because you didn't put them on Steam with the preorder the bonuses that you did with the rest of the world. Once you do I MAY reconsider.

Yours

a former Customer.