Mojang Admits Minecraft - Pocket Edition Plans May Have Been "A Huge Mistake"

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Mojang Admits Minecraft - Pocket Edition Plans May Have Been "A Huge Mistake"

Minecraft developer Mojang will have to dig up a few new components before its mobile game lines up with fan expectations.

If you're reading this site, there's a good chance that Minecraft has stolen countless hours of what could have otherwise been a productive, exciting life and replaced it with boxy zombies and painstakingly detailed replicas of Minecraft - Pocket Edition [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114503-Death-Star-Trench-Run-Recreated-in-Minecraft] for iOS and Android. Minecraft on the go seemed like a no-brainer to many smartphone owners, but according to Mojang, the game wasn't everything fans hoped it would be. Now, it asks for their patience as it implements a major overhaul to give Minecraft engineers what they want.

"[We] had an initial plan of making Minecraft - Pocket Edition more like Minecraft Creative," says Daniel Kaplan, Mojang's business developer. "But alas we were wrong. We have read tons of comments and feedback and it seems like we made a huge mistake." Kaplan does not go into specifics, but the requests from players wanted a fairly different game than what Mojang supplied. They requested "monsters, resources, animals and more different blocks," which came as something of a surprise to Kaplan's team. "[The] initial code we had written didn't exactly fit with the new plan where we wanted to add all the stuff you have been asking for. So we have been reorganizing, rewritten and changed the whole plan for Minecraft - Pocket Edition."

The update isn't exactly around the corner, as Mojang does not plan to submit it to the iOS and Android markets until February 8, 2012. After that, the two markets must approve the update before it becomes available. As it stands, this update in and of itself won't radically change the game's content. Crafting, for example, still requires significant redesign and won't make the cut. However, Kaplan assures fans that this is just the necessary first step for many future endeavors. "[The] foundation for [the survival aspects of the game] will be mostly done and we can throw out much more fun updates!"

Based on Kaplan's information, it seems like Minecraft - Pocket Edition is still a long way off from being the game that fans were expecting. Even so, the fact that Mojang is willing to drastically redesign the game to accommodate fan expectations speaks well of both its work ethic and its relationship with customers. Be honest, though: Given how much time you may intend to sink into it, is a fully functional version of Minecraft on your phone really what you want?

Source: Mojang [http://mojang.com/2012/01/08/where-is-my-update/]

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Marshall Honorof said:
Given how much time you may intend to sink into it, is a fully functional version of Minecraft on your phone really what you want?
Why yes, yes it is.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Zen Toombs said:
Marshall Honorof said:
Given how much time you may intend to sink into it, is a fully functional version of Minecraft on your phone really what you want?
Why yes, yes it is.
It's not that we don't want it.

It's just that we want to see that Mojang isn't half-assing it and is delivering a cash-in product simply to profit on the Minecraft name.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
ThunderCavalier said:
Zen Toombs said:
Marshall Honorof said:
Why yes, yes it is.

It's just that we want to see that Mojang isn't half-assing it and is delivering a cash-in product simply to profit on the Minecraft name.
Exactly. And the fact they are responding and acting on it shows promise. How many other games like Minecraft are there available on portable devices? I dare anyone to help fill that niche, but until then, Mojang isn't wasting its time trying to put Minecraft on a smartphone. Sure as hell beats Angry Birds.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
ThunderCavalier said:
Zen Toombs said:
Marshall Honorof said:
Why yes, yes it is.

Oh, I totally agree. I was just saying that I would definitely buy into a fully functional version of Minecraft for my phone. I wish for no "half-assing", which our mutual friend has been doing far too often recently.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
why wouldn't they try to make it as close to the original as possible? Its written in Java for petes sake. How hard could it be?

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
I would feel differently if it had simply been titled "Minecraft Classic: Pocket Edition". As is, I sympathize with folks who bought it and found out the hard way that it wasn't the same as the original version with the exact same name.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Yes! I get the Gob reference!

I'd never even heard of Minecraft: Pocket Edition. Though I've not been keeping up with the game in general. I should probably give it another go. It's been like a year and a half since I touched it. Or whenever beds were a new thing.

Eliot Lash

Mar 15, 2011
"After that, the two markets must approve the update before it becomes available."
That's inaccurate, the Android marketplace has no review process before updates go live. There is a small delay for the application to go live on the marketplace automatically, but it usually can be rolled out in a business day or so.
Apple's App Store is the one with a multi-week manual review process.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
laserwulf said:
I would feel differently if it had simply been titled "Minecraft Classic: Pocket Edition". As is, I sympathize with folks who bought it and found out the hard way that it wasn't the same as the original version with the exact same name.
This, a hundred times. You gonna release something different? Call it something different. It's only reasonable.

P.S. Thanks

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
I've seen my friend play Minecraft on his phone since it first came out, in browser.

What's this pocket edition going to add?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Market research Mojang, you might want to read up on it.
I can't for the life of me imagine where they got the asinine idea people only want the creation part, everyone fell in love with Minecraft because of the full survival adventure.

And I won't even go into the ludicrous asking prices for Minecraft these days.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
JWAN said:
why wouldn't they try to make it as close to the original as possible? Its written in Java for petes sake. How hard could it be?
Minecraft can be a massive resource hog.
When you start tinkering with complicated redstone machinery and what not, it can put a fair bit of strain on RAM as well as CPU.
Not to mention how huge the save files can get.
How much storage is in your phone? I mean I have a world that's over 2 GB in size, and I'm sure there are some out there that are much larger.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
laserwulf said:
Bought it? It was a free download last I looked...? Erm.
And it was rather limited, more sort of "lego classic for phone" than anything. Bored of it quite quickly.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
JWAN said:
Do something for me. Go run Minecraft and then ctrl-alt-del and check how much RAM and processor % you went up by for running it. The game can use a stupidly high amount of RAM and processor power, something that phones dont have the capabilities to provide right now, or at least not for a wmass market. So they have to drastically redesign it and shrink it so it will actually work.

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
The lesson is both rather simple, and quickly becoming ubiquitous: smartphone gamers do not want simplified, reduced mobile versions of games. They want the full-featured experience, albeit with a mobile-ized interface and touch controls.

Luckily, many new devs understand this principle (and thus we have scores of deep, desktop- and console-class games for smartphone platforms, making the whole "smartphones only cater to flash-game affiniados and Angry Birds geeks" sentiment null and void), and Mojang's honest and clever move might stand as an inspiration to others.

TheTinyMan

May 6, 2010
I'm concerned about the interface. Minecraft requires two axes of movement and two axes of camera control. I haven't yet played a game on my phone that does that, that I feel does it well enough to be fun. Minecraft - Pocket Edition mitigates the UI issue by removing monsters - I don't have to struggle with the controls to do something quickly or face defeat, I can take my time. I'm not convinced that adding a combat element will work *well* on anything short of an Xperia Play.

I hope Mojang proves me wrong. :)

surg3n

May 16, 2011
I don't see how a seperate Minecraft for a mobile device would work, I mean I've seen myself sit and play it for 3 or 4 hours at a time - a mobile device is simply not convenient for that.

But also there is absolutely no need for a Minecraft creative mode game, Minecraft without the point. No threat, no monsters, no death, no challenge, no gameplay - but looka my purty house what I made, it'll help protek me from the... ohh.

What would be outstanding is if mobile Minecraft was just Minecraft but mobile. Like if I could play on my own server, then it would make it a whole seperate game. Maybe Mojang needs to look at the cloud, store the world data on that, then share it on mobile and console versions. I run a server for myself and my brothers/friends - and it's great, we can nip in when we want and tend the farm, or whatever - or we all meet up to explore cave networks and build XP. If I could log into that server from my iPhone, well it would be epic, it would make me interested in mobile Minecraft... but no, lets just make a piss poor creative mode game, that any indi worth his salt could knock up in a weekend, and we'll call that Minecraft PE... or Minecraft 'play once and never again edition'.

Notch is being retarded, he thinks that everyone plays Minecraft to build stuff - no, bulding is part of it, the main gameplay hook is the imminent danger outside, constantly worrying about resources and protection, trying to survive, maybe even prospering. If I want to build something pointless, then I'll buy some lego. Everything I build in Minecraft starts out as a functional project, a monster trap, or a shelter, mushroom farm - whatever it is, making it look cool is a secondary concern. I guess we all play Minecraft our own way, but the main thing is we PLAY minecraft, we don't mess around making pointless stuff.