Take-Two Thinks on Subscription Model

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Take-Two Thinks on Subscription Model

Strauss Zelnick, Chairman of Take-Two, is grinning at the prospect of taking his "triple-A titles" and milking them with the "holy grail" of business models: subscriptions.

It's become one of gaming's most widely-known paths to profits: get gamers to subscribe for something and recurring revenues will fund office parties until eternity. World of Warcraft's $300 million-per-quarter is a testament to the strategy.

Speaking at BMO Capital Markets's investment conference, Take-Two boss Strauss Zelnick laid out his grand vision of combining his best franchises with this proven money-making scheme.

"The holy grail is taking a business, already a very large and successful business that's focused on packaged goods that you sell once and then are occasionally resold by others with new benefit to us, and turning that into a subscription business or a semi subscription business where we have an ongoing relationship with consumers, giving them products that they want," proclaimed Zelnick.

The biggest obstacle, he acknowledged, is that only a few, well-loved games can convince people to continually spend money every month. Zelnick explained that "mid-tier" titles won't use this system, but rather "triple-A titles that people really want to have."

"Who's better positioned to do that than the company that has the top franchises?" asked a confident Zelnick.

"Top franchises" or not, asking gamers to pay for content on a continuing basis could be a tough sell. Different from microtransactions, which at least offer users content with every purchase, MMOs use subscriptions to operate ongoing costs such as servers and support staff. Unless Take-Two invests in a high-quality Grand Theft Auto MMO, it's debatable as to whether any other brand could successfully sustain a monthly payment.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/fail-sense-is-tingling-take-two-talks-about-subscriptions-for-triple-a-titles--111371.phtml]

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
oh mr Zelnick; how fun it is to watch you slowly destroy T2 with a buldozer that is your hubris

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
a MMO Gta whould be a large amount of people randomly running down and killing anything that moves...

Gta whould stop being fun since your no longer the Only crazy person running people down in your car

Ronwue

Oct 22, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
I've warned y'all this was coming. Well make it subscription all you want, I won't pay monthly for software, so that means instead of $60 per title, from me you'll get nothing, zip, zero, zilch.

Yep. Much more profitable.
Wholeheartedly agree.

You killed the game industry!

You bastards.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I fucking hate Blizzard for bringing this about, though I have a feeling I'll hate Take Two more. I guess it's time to get out of this hobby.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
I fucking hate Blizzard for bringing this about, though I have a feeling I'll hate Take Two more. I guess it's time to get out of this hobby.
Blizzard are doing it for an MMO, where it makes some sense.

Take Two are being retarded about it and trying to apply it to single player games, where doesn't. Downloadable content, ok, some online services, ok, but normal gameplay? Hell no.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
I get the feeling that if something like this does come into being in a AAA title it will be a subscription based multiplayer. Something like Halo Matchmaking that you pay $5 a month to be ranked and play against other clans, or allowing for a long term co-op experience in a persistant world similar to EndWar.

I just cannot see a subscription based single player game unless there is a constant stream of new content being launched for the game into eternity.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Jhereg42 said:
I get the feeling that if something like this does come into being in a AAA title it will be a subscription based multiplayer. Something like Halo Matchmaking that you pay $5 a month to be ranked and play against other clans, or allowing for a long term co-op experience in a persistant world similar to EndWar.
Ok, that could work on a subscription basis - after all, Xbox live works that way.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
Doug said:
Ok, that could work on a subscription basis - after all, Xbox live works that way.
Yes, but then we already do pay for Live if we have a 360. This would have to be a blow your load level of awsome to get people to buy in, and it would have to be a vital part of the game's appeal.

Another option would be a DLC subscription for all of their games. If you have the subscription, all DLC downloads for any T2 game are free. They would have to really work to make the releases keep coming, but it might provide a value if they do a good job of it. In that case, it would be financially adventagous for some people over microtransactions. Somehow I doubt that is the route they are going to go, though.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Well, the question is if they follow the WoW model or the TF2 model.

WoW use subscriptions and can theotrically last as long as there players on the game.
TF2 uses purchase prices only, and should only be sustainable as long as new copies of the game are being purchased.

Honestly though, I've no idea how Valve manage to get enough cash - and yet they do somehow. Even with the cost in developing updates for TF2, they do so.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
It's like the entire industry is taking the same nutty pills all at once. EA, Activions, now Take 2, all want to make our regular games act like MMO's. Apparently, they forget that they became big and rich because of the "package and sell" model. And why in the hell do they think they deserve one penny of money for the sale of used games? That's not the way it works, and they desperately need a wake up call before they bring on another game industry collapse like Atari did in the early 80's.

_Nocturnal

Nov 4, 2006
I have some trouble understanding the following:
Why just settle for making gamers pay you subscription money?
BRING IN THE SLAVE LABOR!