999's "Spiritual Sequel" Looks More Like An Actual Sequel In This Trailer

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
999's "Spiritual Sequel" Looks More Like An Actual Sequel In This Trailer

The new trailer for Chunsoft's Gyokugen Dasshutsu Adv: Zennin Shiboudes drops a few hints that it may be a sequel to 999 after all.

Upcoming Vita and 3DS title, Gyokugen Dasshutsu Adv: Zennin Shiboudes is being described as a "spiritual sequel" to 999 by the developer, but this recently released trailer shows they have more than just the theme in common.

Chunsoft's 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors, to use its full, ludicrously unwieldy title, was a twist-filled visual novel romp for the Nintendo DS about nine, slightly gormless, average Joes, dropped onto a sinking cruise ship and forced to complete a series of increasingly esoteric math puzzles by a chuckling villain in a gas mask. The story's central conceit was that each of the game's characters was given a number, helpfully displayed by a trendy watch that also doubled as a detonator for bombs implanted in their abdomens should they stray into a restricted area. Each of the game's puzzles was sectioned off by a numbered door, which required a certain combination of numbers, and thus, a certain combination of characters to open, forcing the player to make tense decisions on who to take with them. It was, in essence, one of the Saw movies crossed with an episode of Countdown. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfa3MHLLSWI] It literally ended with an eight year old girl playing Sudoku in a furnace, possibly my favorite gaming moment to date. Needless to say, we liked it. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8522-Review-9-Hours-9-Persons-9-Doors]

Zennin Shiboudes seems to be taking the exact same track. There's a motley collection of victims, all doubtlessly harboring plot-twisting secrets. The iconic numbered watches have made a return, along with the big metal doors they open. Even sniggering mystery villain Zero crops up, that or the game happens to feature someone who dresses exactly like him/her and has the same taste in gas masks.

Honestly, I'd be picking up Zennin Shiboudes whether it was a direct sequel to 999 or not, but if the game does answer some of the loose ends left behind after 999's utterly mental true ending, well ... all the better.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Well, fuck. I loved 999, so that should be a great news to me... Unfortunately, I didn't have reason before to buy a 3DS and/or Vita, and I wanted things to stay that way... Oh well, I'll wait for the review when it'll be out, and then decide.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
I don't think it's possible to make a direct sequel to 999, the game was too much of a mindfuck with 5 endings to be able to stick 5 or so more on top of the whole affair and still have it make some sort of sense. Still, if it borrows some characters from 999, I'll pick it up out of curiosity to see if they actually managed to make the real Zero act in the certainly demented and villainous way that "he/she/it" would have to act for someone who orchestrated so much death, pain and suffering, even though the cause was worthy. The real Zero's character and actions were a huge miss for me in 999 and that's the only thing that bothered me about the game, and I'd love to see them somehow fix that mistake by adding more depth to the character. Also, I'd appreciate it if they refrained from taking the piss with more Allice fiascos this time around, it really weakens the plot in a game that's all about the plot.

Polite Sage

Feb 22, 2011
...that feel when people praise 999 and anticipate it's sequel while never having heard of it's superior mindfuckity spiritual predecessor
"Ever 17" (which 999 borrows from, same scenario writer, especially the true ending) or any other "Infinity" titles for that matter.
<spoiler=Ever17><youtube=5uz3yQmPsrY> <youtube=I4jzrOQEZCo>
if they actually managed to make the real Zero act in the certainly demented and villainous way that "he/she/it" would have to act for someone who orchestrated so much death, pain and suffering, even though the cause was worthy. This was my main grief with 999 as well.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well I hope this game come out in the UK since that 999 never came to the UK (it sound like it's a game I would of bought). If it is a direct sequel to that game then they really should release it in the UK already.

Dash-X

Aug 17, 2009
There were loose ends in 999? I didn't notice any... The True Ending seemed to have wrapped everything up quite nicely...

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
And the most strange stuff I have seen all week award goes to.... !
Yes, obviously this.
A real headtrip I'd say. Probably a good game, but hard to tell from this alone.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
I'm laughing for real right now.
John Madden!

Eikoandmog

Summoner and Pal
May 7, 2008
Hell yes. I was hoping this would happen. Also, there's aren't really any loose ends in 999. Only one ending can make sense as far as canon is concerned but without spoiling too much, you do kinda need another ending to get there; that's kind of the point.