A BioShock Infinite Primer

PrimePowerOn

Nov 30, 2009
I really can't believe how much of this I just didn't know. My introduction to anarchists was my step-sister who was into punk music (I was 7, she was 11.) Can't believe that the rebelliousness of teenage youth informed my understanding of the anarchist movement so heavily.

Thanks, Mr. Rath, for setting me straight. This was a great column. (As always)

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
A very interesting read; it will certainly help to inform my historical understanding of Bioshock Infinites setting, if I can remember most of it that is.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
I remember when a lot of people first saw the Vox Populi torching buildings, defiling statues, entering houses and murdering people, and about to execute a postman because... they could, they all went "hur dur its their take on occupy wall street".

I think the Vox and Fitzroy are going to be every bit as bloodthirsty and bad as the founders. I can't wait for the shit to hit the fan in this game.

Great article Robert.

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
Therumancer said:
Some stuff
Not going to argue with anything you said there (I'm not American and haven't studied the turn of the century in American history), but I am a tad confused about the point you're trying to make. It doesn't sound like you're disagreeing with anything Rath said, merely adding that the turn of the century was an all-around crappy time in terms of the behaviour of governments. Frequent clashes between natives and settlers doesn't excuse the massacre of unarmed men, women, and children, racist policies in other countries doesn't excuse racist policies in any other country, and I don't think Rath was arguing that America was in some way worse than any other state in the world. Rather, it seemed like an article highlighting the interesting juxtaposition of rising optimism, technology, and modern values in some areas compared to the appalling standards still in use in regards to race and immigrants and the like.

What you've said is all interesting information, but I can understand Rath not including it due to space concerns. His article provides context to a setting that many don't have too much information about, and if he wanted to do as you just did and provide context for his context he'd have to write a substantially larger document.

On topic though, a very interesting article. I'm really looking forward to this game, and I'll be interested to see how these themes play out in it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Azahul said:
Therumancer said:
Some stuff
Not going to argue with anything you said there (I'm not American and haven't studied the turn of the century in American history), but I am a tad confused about the point you're trying to make. It doesn't sound like you're disagreeing with anything Rath said, merely adding that the turn of the century was an all-around crappy time in terms of the behaviour of governments. Frequent clashes between natives and settlers doesn't excuse the massacre of unarmed men, women, and children, racist policies in other countries doesn't excuse racist policies in any other country, and I don't think Rath was arguing that America was in some way worse than any other state in the world. Rather, it seemed like an article highlighting the interesting juxtaposition of rising optimism, technology, and modern values in some areas compared to the appalling standards still in use in regards to race and immigrants and the like.

What you've said is all interesting information, but I can understand Rath not including it due to space concerns. His article provides context to a setting that many don't have too much information about, and if he wanted to do as you just did and provide context for his context he'd have to write a substantially larger document.

On topic though, a very interesting article. I'm really looking forward to this game, and I'll be interested to see how these themes play out in it.
Well, my point being that the way he conveyed his information seemed to have a very anti-American bent based on what information he decided to include and what information he didn't choose to include. If your going to give a balanced run down on the time, you need to explain things in context.

When it comes to racist policies and such, the point is that on a lot of levels the behavior of the rest of the world DOES justify them. You can't use modern morality to judge practices from a time when modern morality did not exist. Going on about racism, the treatment of immigrants, etc... devoid of context basically makes the US look like a bunch of bad guys, a real evil empire, until you consider that our practices were downright progressive compared to what the rest of the world did, and our relative even handedness and mercy grew into the modern morality we know today.

To put things into a certain context you talk about the massacre of unarmed women, children, etc... as if it's a bad thing, and I supposed to a modern eye it is, but understand that even a few centuries ago that was just how things were during war. The exceptional thing about the US is not that we massacred the natives at various places, but that in the long run we wound up showing an unheard of amount of mercy. In most such cases like this the dominant invader would have totally enslaved or outright eradicated those on the receiving end. The Native Americans are perhaps the best treated conquered people in all of history, and continue to survive because at the end of the day the white settlers didn't do to them what most people did. This also paved the way for a lot of those "nosey" policies so many people hate the US for where we prevent ethnic cleaning, genocide, and tend to coordinate sanctions and such against nations that don't treat former indiginous peoples well, indeed that's a big part of why tribes in the US host international meetings of conquered indiginous peoples, because the US provides a platform for them to do this, and provides a degree of support.

It's sort of like bringing up the "Trail Of Tears", it's a wonderful piece of "screw the US" propaganda liberals love to bring up, until you consider that for all of the hardships to the tribals, we went through a lot of time, effort, and expense, to relocate them, kicking and screaming, when anyone else would have just figured F@ck it, and exterminated them all to the smallest baby. Not a nice point, but an important one.

The point I'm getting at is that the purpose of this article is to pretty much reinforce Bioshock Infinite's view of the US at the time, and claim it's to an extent grounded in reality, to the point where you could see splinter groups from such a "deranged" time literally worshipping the founding fathers as gods or whatever. It's an amusing idea, but really even more liberties are taken with American mentality than were taken with objectivism for "Bioshock" and they pretty much went insane with that one (yet convinced some people that this was a fair representation and criticism of it's philsophies before you got to that inconveienent twist...).

See, it's easy to sit here and make "Manifest Destiny" sound like some kind of battlecry for Nationalistic Imperialism, when reality it was more of a defensive rallying cry, geared more towards not allowing ourselves to be penned in and trivialized by foreign colonies from then larger empires, more than some kind of ambition towards conquest and global domination. Indeed the biggest problem with the US for a long time was that we were actually highly isolationist, we believed in our "exceptionalism" in such a way that we felt other countries couldn't judge us by their standards or force us into their political squabbles, but we for the most part wanted nothing to do with anyone as long as we were left alone, taken to it's logical extreme where we pretty much waited until the 11th hour to stop Germany (twice) from pretty much taking over the world since we really had no desire to be involved in foreign wars or politics. While amusing, trying to say that any kind of American mentality could justify the idea of a "flying city intended to show the glory of America to the world" from that time period is absurd. We weren't even a world power until pretty bloody recently, and right now a big part of internal US politics on a lot of levels amounts to whether we should continue doing what we're doing for an ungrateful world, or just basically go back to borderline isolationism (pre- World War II type policies) and let the rest of the world do whatever the hell it wants, and "prove" it can get along without us. Our big problem is that whenever someone screams "help" or an issue happens we at least feel an obligation to try nowadays, instead of saying "we're done, go call France, maybe they'll do something". I suppose in the modern world there are some people who feel a flying US Propaganda City would make a symbolic point, but back during this time period? The US could basically give a crap. That's why it was such a big deal when we got involved during "World War I" we were so bloody isolationist the Germans and their allies never anticipated dealing with us and the manpower we could crank out since by all accounts there was no reason to expect America would get involved in anyone else's wars for any reason.

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
Therumancer said:
Well, my point being that the way he conveyed his information seemed to have a very anti-American bent based on what information he decided to include and what information he didn't choose to include. If your going to give a balanced run down on the time, you need to explain things in context.
Well, I didn't really get an anti-American bent from all that. Part of that could be that being Australian, I'm not exactly unaware that America was hardly the only nation in the world behaving in some truly disgusting ways (by modern standards, of course). In fact, what I thought he was doing from reading the article was providing context for what was going to be in Bioshock Infinite. In essence, the article is rather on your side, but simply didn't have the space to be as all-inclusive and extensive as you would have liked it to be. Which is fair enough, but Rath probably doesn't have an unlimited number of words to hash out all the nuances of every event.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Well to be honest, despite being a non-American I feel adequately primed for Bioshock Infinite, simply from having read Against the Day, Sometimes a Great Notion, and Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee. It helps having being raised by a teacher and a FoMoCo employee (I still won't cross a picket), having a passing interest in the Wobblies, Joe Hill, and other Unionist figures from my Folky/Woody Guthrie/Beat days, and of course from studying the causes of WW1 at school. Which by the way if you are going to mention the actions of Anarchists you can't leave out Franz Ferdinand.

I imagine there are plenty who are not aware of these matters and would only benefit from some background for the story. I hope they are spurred to further study through the game.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
albino boo said:
Robert Rath said:
British, Norwegian and Scottish settlers were welcome, while the Chinese and Russians were not
Small point, the Scotts are British. I think you meant English rather than British in that context.
Not many Scots I know would agree with that statement *wink*.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Therumancer said:
It's sort of like bringing up the "Trail Of Tears", it's a wonderful piece of "screw the US" propaganda liberals love to bring up, until you consider that for all of the hardships to the tribals, we went through a lot of time, effort, and expense, to relocate them, kicking and screaming, when anyone else would have just figured F@ck it, and exterminated them all to the smallest baby. Not a nice point, but an important one.
The power of rebranding.

Is history a bit unpleasant or embarrassing? Call it propaganda instead!

I wouldn't have taken issue if your actual purpose in posting was to add information relevant to the topic, but it seems the intent was to jab at an author who might have voted for a guy that wears a different color tie than the one you voted for.

American history is what it is. Every country has committed an atrocity or two over the centuries. Doesn't make it ok, and it's ignorant to get mad because someone said 'Merica wasn't perfect.
Love my country, but The Homestead Strike, Trail of Tears, Wounded Knee, Smallpox blankets, slavery, etc. all happened. We did it & it was a dick move; don't act like it wasn't, just don't do it again!

I'm really not even sure where you got the "liberal" angle from. The article was a pretty straightforward historical account. Not being blatantly Pro-America does not equal Anti-America

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
To read all this, I would say Levine has chosen an interesting time to go with the undertones in Bioshock Infinite, as it casts an interesting lens on what American Dream has always been: an opportunity to reach ludicrous potential for those who end up on the top of the heap, an avenue for being exploited for those on the bottom.

It's the story conservative interests generally bury under every fear they can invent, from drugs to terrorism to gun control, because they figure if you're stupid enough to fall for that you probably belong on the bottom of the heap, out of the way of the people who know how to make money.

And here we are at the cusp of a time in which liberal and conservative interests are at loggerheads in the U.S. Government, a president who has largely been ineffectual if only because he's been attempting to compromise with a party that generally refuses to compromise. A president who ended up re-elected because enough people knew who to blame. What auspicious timing! Could it be that Bioshock Infinite is a game that will educate people on the ugliness of the conservative mindset, just as Bioshock 1 targeted Randian ideals and Bioshock 2 targeted Marxist?

So yes, very timely article on some relevant historical facts we're better off to know before going into Bioshock Infinte. Kudos to the Escapist staff for that.

Now where's that gameplay footage? ;)

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Very interesting article, the Critical Intel series is great. I feel like reading up about that period some more, can anyone recommend some good books?

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Farther than stars said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Welcome to the US of A...

Many people look at their country and say "I've never seen our government in such bad shape." Germany and the US do not have this problem.
Actually, Germany's doing quite well right now. Economically speaking you could say that it's in the best shape of all the Western nations.
As an Australian I can tell you that our government and economists often claim that we have the strongest economy post-GFC. This probably just indicates that nobody really came out on top... :/

OvBr

Jun 2, 2012
J Tyran said:
Very interesting article, the Critical Intel series is great. I feel like reading up about that period some more, can anyone recommend some good books?
One that comes to mind is The President and the Assassin. I actually just finished it last week, it's pretty good. It touches on a lot of the same stuff that's in the article, like American imperialism, anarchism, unions and strikes, all framed through the story of President McKinley assassination. It goes into more detail on some of the events Rath mentions, namely the Spanish-American War, the Homestead Strike, Henry Clay Frick's attempted assassination, and the string of anarchist plots around the turn of the century.

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
Thanks for this, I didn't know most of this coming from the UK, in our History at GCSE the only thing we actually studied about America was between 1940 and 1960, and almost all of that was to do with the civil rights movement.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Shocksplicer said:
Farther than stars said:

Many people look at their country and say "I've never seen our government in such bad shape." Germany and the US do not have this problem.
Actually, Germany's doing quite well right now. Economically speaking you could say that it's in the best shape of all the Western nations.
As an Australian I can tell you that our government and economists often claim that we have the strongest economy post-GFC. This probably just indicates that nobody really came out on top... :/
Ah, you're absolutely right. It looks like I fell for the common mistake of forgetting Australia as being part of the West, since it doesn't border the Atlantic. But I definitely agree that there's a case to be made for Australia's economy. Natural resources certainly top Germany, but then your buying power is a lot less, which is a major factor in determining economic flexibility. However, I would agree that, in broad strokes, having a debt of 30% relative to GDP is better than a debt of 87%. So I would amend my earlier statement to say that Germany has the second-strongest economy of Western nations. ;)

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Farther than stars said:
Shocksplicer said:
Farther than stars said:

Ah, you're absolutely right. It looks like I fell for the common mistake of forgetting Australia as being part of the West, since it doesn't border the Atlantic. But I definitely agree that there's a case to be made for Australia's economy. Natural resources certainly top Germany, but then your buying power is a lot less, which is a major factor in determining economic flexibility. However, I would agree that, in broad strokes, having a debt of 30% relative to GDP is better than a debt of 87%. So I would amend my earlier statement to say that Germany has the second-strongest economy of Western nations. ;)
Someone conceding a point... ON THE INTERNET? INCONCEIVABLE! :p
But yeah, perfectly understandable to forget about Australia when talking about "The West", considering that we're basically in the Far East. I've always found it a bit confusing that people use the term "The West", when they basically mean The First World.

nexus

May 30, 2012
All history is revisionist. The media sucks and will only enlighten you on historical events if it benefits their particular viewpoint or agenda.

Whenever the media or pundits claim, "The worst in recent history", what they're really trying to say is, "As far as we're willing to go to seem more sensational right now". Terrorism, war, shootings, conspiracy. These are not new concepts, and media conspiracy has gone back to, and far beyond the era mentioned in the article. The Hearst Corporation e.g., founded well before the strife in the featured era, had ties with the very same Pinkerton Agency. Muscling in railroads on landowner's properties, to the point of violence if necessary.. then running stories on how the deed-holders were criminal, etc. All so barons could get their tracks laid and their money made.

Hearst still operates many mass-media outlets in the US today.

You really don't need a formal education to resonate with the points in this article, but it will surprise you if you're subjected to "modern media" and don't have the sense to shake it off when needed.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Thank you for this article.

I wouldn't say that. Americans hate America more than anyone. We've got some of the biggest blame games going on in our media outlets. We just don't like it when other countries hate America.

Shrack

Feb 25, 2013
Very good article. I have studies the time period some (not an expert by any means) and you did a good job. When we get to Columbia in just a couple of days (YEA!) I think we are going to find that there will be no "good" side. Heck I wonder if Booker is going to be a decent guy at times.

fleischwolke

Feb 8, 2010
Thanks for a great article - I was vaguely aware of some of the concepts and events, but this primer nailed it.