A brief commentary on improving moral choice in games

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
When I say the term "moral choice", most gamers probably picture the same thing - you're given a token, arbitrary ability to pick whether to act "good" or whether to act "evil" based on a certain set of circumstances pre-determined by a game designer.

However, a decision of whether to act good or act bad isn't a moral choice. Not by any definition outside of the gaming community. In that situation, you're given a choice of whether to act morally or immorally - a choice to disregard morality (for the purposes of creating a character you prefer) isn't in any way a moral dilemma, or a choice about morality.

So, the thought occurred to me, wouldn't the entire concept of moral choices be improved by forcing the player to make an actual choice about their moral values? Wouldn't an actual moral choice require pitting two or more widely held and strongly believed principles of morality in opposition and not assigning good or evil points to one or the other, so that the player is required to actually think about their decision, even if only pragmatically? Doesn't that sound more interesting?

For example, it's easy to picture a situation that pits the principle of individual autonomy versus the principle of the greatest good for the greatest number, or, to put it in slightly different terms, where the goal of freedom conflicts with the goal of equality, or where the personal benefit of one of your most closely treasured party members will conflict with the lives of many other innocents and lead to their deaths. Rather than arbitrarily assigning one side to be good and the other to be evil, create a situation where the player has to weigh up for themselves which one of those principles they personally value more. That is a true moral choice.

Too many games term moral choices in terms of "Save everybody - good" and "Arbitrarily kill everyone - bad". That's not a dilemma. That's just giving the player the option to choose not to save people when it's a perfectly viable option that they can with no consequences either way. I don't see very many moral dilemmas that truly embrace the lose-lose situation.

Moral choices would carry far more weight if they actually involved a dilemma and embraced the highly subjective nature of answers. Asking someone whether they're playing a good character or an evil character today doesn't involve any thought or any questioning of morality whatsoever. Putting someone in a situation of "no right answers" is much more memorable than a situation of "there is a right answer, but I'll ignore it because I want all the evil points".

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
One of the best ones I saw was actually a side mission in Mass Effect 2. Batarians have launched two nuclear warheads at a human colony. One is going towards a residential district, and the other towards a commercial space port. However, upon arrival, it appears that the Batarians have set up a Sadistic Choice scenario: There is only one killswitch.

You have to choose between saving the colonists but losing the viability of their home, or saving the space port, ensuring the planet remains an option for further colonization, at the expense of millions of lives.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
This is why I like The Pitt in Fallout 3. Help the rebels who wanted to free the slaves and distribute the cure, or help the government that actually knew how to produce (and would later distribute) the cure, and was using forced labor to keep the city from anarchy until it could be fixed.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
First off, we need to stop addressing it as "morality", black and white is very effective in soap operas and stage plays, but if you're trying to tell a good story with deep meaning, you need to grant the player some gray area to dabble in, rather than asking them to choose between Joseph Stalin and Ghandi.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
You mean like way back in one of the Ultima games, they had you answer questions which ranked various virtues against each other?

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
I'd say you should play the Witcher (I haven't had a chance to play the sequel yet, but I hope it's as good as the first in this respect). Your choices are invariably between two shades of grey. You can choose to support the Scoi'tel in their fight for freedom, which includes acts of banditry and outright terrorism, or aid the charitable Order of the Flaming Rose, where you will have to aid in stamping out the rebelling elves and dwarves. There are choices like ridding a man of his werewolf curse, against his will, or allow him to keep it and use it to hunt criminals as a vigilante. There were never choices between good or evil, which helped make the game feel far more like a real world than something like Dragon Age ever did.

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
Azahul said:
I'd say you should play the Witcher (I haven't had a chance to play the sequel yet, but I hope it's as good as the first in this respect). Your choices are invariably between two shades of grey. You can choose to support the Scoi'tel in their fight for freedom, which includes acts of banditry and outright terrorism, or aid the charitable Order of the Flaming Rose, where you will have to aid in stamping out the rebelling elves and dwarves. There are choices like ridding a man of his werewolf curse, against his will, or allow him to keep it and use it to hunt criminals as a vigilante. There were never choices between good or evil, which helped make the game feel far more like a real world than something like Dragon Age ever did.

You beat me to it. I feel the Witcher is a perfect example of this.

I actually have no problems with morality systems in general, but I dislike it when your character's power is based on following one path or the other, as in Infamous or Jade Empire. It makes it so that you pretty much have to make the same moral choice the whole game if you want your character to be at maximum strength. This somewhat takes the choice out of the choice.

McPulse

Mar 23, 2011
I feel moral choice would work better on more than one axis. The Political Compass, for instance, is four-point between an anarchy-totalitarian split and a liberal-conservative split.

That's what we should be working towards!

Yearlongjester

Feb 14, 2010
GTA IV came close in my mind. It simply gave different choices, never calling you good or evil for them. You simply acted in the manner you saw best, and the game went along with it. That's what games need to do, simply give you options and allow the player to decide what to do without an arbitrary morality ascribed to everything