A Capella Group Performs Portal 2 Opera

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
Oh cool, on iTunes? I got that the other day (for listening to Yogpods) so I guess I can add this to my- 99 cents? Pff, forget it!

I can just use that website that turns Youtube videos into MP3s!

(Before you all start throwing a fit, realise that I literally possess zero funds in electronic form. And that I was joking. Or was I?

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Torrasque said:
/tear
Absolutely beautiful.
Its too bad that the bass isn't that prominent, but this is still excellent.
The Bass is fine... or maybe it's just my $300 dollar headphones.

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
Jesus Phish said:
I have to say I didnt enjoy that. It was done very well, apart from the backing track and the bass, but for some reason I just prefer the original a million times more.
A million? Really? The original and this acapella version really aren't different enough for that. Mostly just a little synthetic voice modification and the powerful bass of the Giant Animal King Turret. 10x, sure, I'd buy that. Maybe even 100x. But a million? Seems a little excessive.

As a man with a choral background, I think I might actually slightly prefer this acapella arrangement. For one thing, it's much easier to make out the lyrics. I didn't realize they were singing about Chell, even after running through the final boss fight again just to hear those two songs a second time.

Pretty cool that they posted the lyrics, in the original Italian and an English translation.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Arms hairs commencing rigid functions in .....3....2....1

Games need more opera: Ave Maria from Hitman:Blood Money was the last game to give me similar tinglings.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
BrainWalker said:
Jesus Phish said:
I have to say I didnt enjoy that. It was done very well, apart from the backing track and the bass, but for some reason I just prefer the original a million times more.
A million? Really? The original and this acapella version really aren't different enough for that. Mostly just a little synthetic voice modification and the powerful bass of the Giant Animal King Turret. 10x, sure, I'd buy that. Maybe even 100x. But a million? Seems a little excessive.

As a man with a choral background, I think I might actually slightly prefer this acapella arrangement. For one thing, it's much easier to make out the lyrics. I didn't realize they were singing about Chell, even after running through the final boss fight again just to hear those two songs a second time.

Pretty cool that they posted the lyrics, in the original Italian and an English translation.
To be honest I think its more the visual appeal. They're not doing anything for it. As for the lyrics they've been posted in both languages on several other youtube videos. Perhaps I was a bit excessive with my estimation of a million, so I'll revert it to "a lot more".

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
Jesus Phish said:
To be honest I think its more the visual appeal. They're not doing anything for it. As for the lyrics they've been posted in both languages on several other youtube videos. Perhaps I was a bit excessive with my estimation of a million, so I'll revert it to "a lot more".
Now that I'll buy. You were talking entirely about the music and then gave a preference, so I wasn't considering the visuals as relevant to your opinion. It's pretty much inarguable that the turret opera was more visually interesting than a bunch of people singing, no matter how good they are at it.