A certain mass effect 3 video

Rock-nerd

Apr 6, 2012
Hey, i'm looking for a youtube video someone posted on here a while ago. it was a 20 minute video on how mass effect 3 had more problems that the ending, and talked about a few subjects to do with it. Then at the end he says that really he did rather enjoy the game despite his critiques on it. If anyone has this please share it with me. Thanks

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
ChromaticWolfen said:
The Indoctrination Theory video perhaps?
That sounds nothing like the IT. I don't know what it is (there were quite a few ME3 problems videos) but it's certainly not that.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
maybe its the angry joe show or jermey jahns they both did great mass effect ending vids

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
mad825 said:
It's MrBtongue you are looking for.

embedded for convenience.

The OP's description does sound *kind of* like this video, though not exactly. Though, if you haven't seen it you should definitely watch it anyway.

J. Mazarin

Jun 25, 2012
There's literally dozens of videos that could match that description.

Innegativeion (above) seems to have found one that's good enough. Give it a look.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Elmoth said:
How can you like ME2 and hate ME3? Mass Effect 2's main story was shite. The characters were good enough, like cliche sassy nerd girl tali and cliche battle bro garrus, but they all had their moments. But the main story has a villain you don't even see as a player, untill the end where he dies while Shepard isn't around. Shepard doesn't even ever talk about him at all! And the beginning rushes to the explosions and project lazarus is fucking stupid. And how is ME2's opening better? He assumes the player doesn't know anything in ME3 but then suddenly the ME2 characters are characters you 'know and love'. So choosing between "Okay", "I guess", and "grrr I hate it but ok" is the best roleplaying mechanic this generation?
I think a lot of people missed the fact that ME3 ended the way it did because ME2 contributed literally nothing to the overall plot.

The characters were fun and their personal history was mostly interesting, but the whole "how do we stop the Reapers" plot got shafted. The only new thing we learn about the Reapers is that they turned the Protheans into slaves and that they were building that stupid human Reaper. Well, the Collectors all die at the end so that knowledge is immediately pointless, and that stupid human Reaper doesn't even get mentioned in ME3. You only see bits of it hanging at Cerberus headquarters.

And because ME2 wasted it's time doing nothing, ME3 was left holding the ball and subsequently fumbling it at the end.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
I think you're after this, OP:
I've posted it in a forum thread back when ME3 was a hot topic, as my response. This guy nails the subject on the head.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Elmoth said:
I don't fully agree with this video.

How can you like ME2 and hate ME3? Mass Effect 2's main story was shite. The characters were good enough, like cliche sassy nerd girl tali and cliche battle bro garrus, but they all had their moments. But the main story has a villain you don't even see as a player, untill the end where he dies while Shepard isn't around. Shepard doesn't even ever talk about him at all! And the beginning rushes to the explosions and project lazarus is fucking stupid. And how is ME2's opening better? He assumes the player doesn't know anything in ME3 but then suddenly the ME2 characters are characters you 'know and love'. So choosing between "Okay", "I guess", and "grrr I hate it but ok" is the best roleplaying mechanic this generation?

I can still walk a line between holy saint and evil badass by choosing between them intermittently. My shepard is renegade against evil persons, and paragon against everyone else. And this fits with his past. He grew up well enough but his planet was attacked by slavers. And that's why he hates anyone even remotely criminal. So removing the neutral option wasn't the problem here. It's that the neutral option was mostly useless. It's just the same dialogue as the others but in a milder tone, basically. You're either angry shepard who saves people or not so angry shepard who saves people.
Whilst ME2's story didn't actually go anywhere, that's a problem with the third game and not the second itself.
People enjoyed it because at the time it felt like a great extension from the first game and a great sequal that appeared to be continuing and contributing to the story arc.
It was in no way as strong a story as Mass Effect 1 which had all the proper elements of a space opera, it did however offer a lot of player driven narrative and freedoms within the story itself.

Mass Effect 2 was a hook that got you emotionally invested in the characters, it wasn't so much about the story but about who you were surrounded by and the welfare of them. As a player I was very much concerned with getting my team out alive, for that expanse of time you are Commander Shepard and the threat of losing your team is very real.
It is a fantastic game in that regard, yes the story is simple and in hindsight added nothing overall but that was it's draw.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Hammeroj said:
Casual Shinji said:
And because ME2 wasted it's time doing nothing, ME3 was left holding the ball and subsequently fumbling it at the end.
Actually, ME3 fumbled the ball right at the beginning, because the beginning is when the surprisingly idiotic Crucible is introduced. Not that I disagree - ME2 should've done something with the plot, like at least setting up the tool to destroy the reapers.
Seeing as the final scene in ME2 shows hundreds of Reapers headed for our galaxy, and ME3 would be the final game, a macguffin was inevitable. Not that it wasn't stupid, but the writing was on the wall so it wasn't really surprising when they introduced it.

Had they explored the Reapers more in ME2 this could've been avoided.

Cranky

Mar 12, 2012
ME 2 felt like an altogether new experience. It didn't really sync well with the other two but hey, it was the most damned enjoyable one.

Mysterious Druid

May 27, 2012
I remember watching a 90 minute video explaining the Indoctrination theory and why the ending was so supposedly brilliant.

Seeing blind fanboys grasp at straws like that is amusing, but also reminds me that I was like them at one point.