A console tard's plea for help (Installing some mods).

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
I'm trying to install some mods for Medieval II: Total War but I can't seem to find the folders that contain the game's codes and files. I've looked all over the place for them and I still can't find them, could someone help me?

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
I hate to state the obvious and thereby insult your intelligence, but did you try searching for "medieval" or similar in windows explorer?

911 fox

Jun 11, 2009
usually they are in program files but if you have it on steam then its in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps and in either common or your username

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
GRoXERs said:
I hate to state the obvious and therefore insult your intelligence, but did you try searching for "medieval" or similar in windows explorer?
Yes I did and all I got was 'Start Medieval total war' and 'Uninstall Medieval Total war' no files or folders. Nothing.

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
wouldyoukindly99 said:
GRoXERs said:
I hate to state the obvious and therefore insult your intelligence, but did you try searching for "medieval" or similar in windows explorer?
Yes I did and all I got was 'Start Medieval total war' and 'Uninstall Medieval Total war' no files or folders. Nothing.
k, if you have it installed on steam, see 911 fox's post. Otherwise, go to my computer > C:/ > Program files > SEGA > Medieval II: Total War > Whateveryourmodsaresupposedtogoin

EDIT: Oops, silly me, I forgot the C:/

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
GRoXERs said:
wouldyoukindly99 said:
GRoXERs said:
k, if you have it installed on steam, see 911 fox's post. Otherwise, go to my computer > Program files > SEGA > Medieval II: Total War > Whateveryourmodsaresupposedtogoin
It's not on Steam, it's just installed on my laptop. I found them in program files, but it won't let me do anything other than uninstall it. I can't open any of the files I need to open to save the mods in.

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
wouldyoukindly99 said:
GRoXERs said:
wouldyoukindly99 said:
GRoXERs said:
k, if you have it installed on steam, see 911 fox's post. Otherwise, go to my computer > Program files > SEGA > Medieval II: Total War > Whateveryourmodsaresupposedtogoin
It's not on Steam, it's just installed on my laptop. I found them in program files, but it won't let me do anything other than uninstall it. I can't open any of the files I need to open to save the mods in.
Oooohhhhhh hang on. Does whatever account you're logged in as have administrative privileges? If not, that's gonna be the problem.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
911 fox said:
are you running vista if so you might need to change the file permissions
Yes I am running Vista, that may be the problem.
GRoXERs said:
wouldyoukindly99 said:
GRoXERs said:
wouldyoukindly99 said:
GRoXERs said:
Oooohhhhhh hang on. Does whatever account you're logged in as have administrative privileges? If not, that's gonna be the problem.
Well I am the only user and it is my laptop, but I'll have to check.

911 fox

Jun 11, 2009
sometimes files wont let you change them even if you are a admin because of vista try right clicking on the file and selecting properties then going securities and then clicking edit then use that to modify all the permissions for all users listed

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
911 fox said:
sometimes files wont let you change them even if you are a admin because of vista try right clicking on the file and selecting properties then going securities and then clicking edit then use that to modify all the permissions for all users listed
Aha! Found it! Thanks for the help, I'll post if my PC illiteracy impedes my progress again. :p

911 fox

Jun 11, 2009
if you could post the part of the readme that gives where the file should be placed or the url that you downloaded from, it would help a lot

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
911 fox said:
if you could post the part of the readme that gives where the file should be placed or the url that you downloaded from, it would help a lot
I'm downloading a patch from the official site [http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=2138] right now, I think I need to it play the mods I'm going to download (Those being Broken Crescent, The Sicillian Vespers, and The Third Age for right now).

911 fox

Jun 11, 2009
wouldyoukindly99 said:
911 fox said:
I'm downloading a patch from the official site [http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=2138] right now, I think I need to it play the mods I'm going to download (Those being Broken Crescent, The Sicillian Vespers, and The Third Age for right now).
it seems that it is an .exe so you just have to double click but did you unrar the file first?

Edit: wait do you need help installing the patch?

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
911 fox said:
wouldyoukindly99 said:
911 fox said:
it seems that it is an .exe so you just have to double click but did you unrar the file first?

Edit: wait do you need help installing the patch?
Unrar? Bwuh? Do I need to download that winrar shit again? Last time I downloaded that I got BUTT RAPED by viruses. The site said to save it as a zip folder on my desktop then install it using .exe something or other, so that's what I'm doing (at 26% right now).

911 fox

Jun 11, 2009
when i started downloading it from the link on the site i noticed that it was .rar file then i stoped downloading( its a big file i have no use for)

try http://download.cnet.com/Free-RAR-Extract-Frog/3000-2250_4-10804840.html

its completely free and has no viruses its not as good as the programs you pay for but it gets the job done

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
wouldyoukindly99 said:
Unrar? Bwuh? Do I need to download that winrar shit again? Last time I downloaded that I got BUTT RAPED by viruses. The site said to save it as a zip folder on my desktop then install it using .exe something or other, so that's what I'm doing (at 26% right now).
Yeah, you will need winrar. If you got own'd by viruses, it's because of what you downloaded, not the extractor. You need to extract for the .exe to work properly.

Then keep it. It'll come in handy.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
lacktheknack said:
wouldyoukindly99 said:
Yeah, you will need winrar. If you got own'd by viruses, it's because of what you downloaded, not the extractor. You need to extract for the .exe to work properly.

Then keep it. It'll come in handy.
Alright, I just hope I download the right one this time. The Winrar site has like a hundred different versions of the same program and I'm not exactly sure which one I should be using. I used to have it when I still used emulators, but then I got about eighty viruses, so I purged my computer of everything emulator-related including the winrar program. Guess I'll just have to download it again. :/