A Cosplay Defense of Skinny Girls

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I'm wondering exactly who is doing all this body shaming? Most men's opinion on women's body appearance is either "I would" or "I wouldn't", so I'm guessing it's mostly other women who are commenting so much?

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Sampler said:
Agree with the sentiment of the article, however two points at the end I disagree with:

Directors don't cast movies of Batman vs Superman size, that's why you'll see a whole list of casting agents in the credits, something of this backing there'll be producers interfering in choice too.

Suckerpunch is a feminist movie, really, have you actually watched it or just saw the marketing, as that's where the title becomes relevant, it's a brilliantly done piece of work in that regard "suckering in" men with promise of titillation and explosions to then show them how hard it is to be a woman in a world controlled by men - every man in that movie is portrayed as an asshole of the lowest kind and the ending
she decides to give up, take her mind away, as that's the only way she can live happily in such a place, as it never ends
I remembered when MovieBob gushed over Sucker Punch as well, then redefended his position in a separate article after the movie was both panned by critics and bombed at the box office. (I wonder if he still would, given the more time).

Literally the only people I've seen who have really liked it (outside of the action sequences, which were decent at least) are men claiming a feminist position. Its imagery and symbolism and metaphors are about as subtle as a freight train. Subtext is supposed to stay beneath the surface to an extent. It felt to me like a 13 year old's idea of what a feminist "oppression movie" is like, with all their favorite cartoon characters inserted. Yeah, a 50s mental asylum was like a brothel or... something and somehow the head orderly has the right to shoot people in the fucking head because male supremacy, right? Throw in a complete misunderstand and misuse of the male gaze, and it's like, perfectly juvenile.

But that's just like, my opinion, man.

As for being on topic... I don't really think thin shaming is really the biggest problem with the nerd world right now. Sure, people criticizing Ridley when her character lives in a desert is a little dumb. I was hoping Wonder Woman was more muscular, but she along with everyone else has powers far and away from what their physique suggests, so eh. It could be a lot worse than what it is, I guess, you take the wins where you get them.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Being skinny isn't something that needs to be defended. People should be praised for working for that body type (provided it's not full anorexic) rather than engaging in gluttony.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
The Material Sheep said:
erttheking said:
Yeah...we live in a messed up world where women keep getting shamed for body types.
Yep. Reproductive imperatives still govern a lot of human thought process. Mate selection is fundamentally a competition and this by nature puts women at odds with each other in the realm of beauty and human aesthetics. Larger curvy women have a vested interest in redefining societal beauty standards as it helps them have a more competitive edge in mate selection. This almost consequentially will mean that skinnier women will not be considered as attractive. Someone is SOL here regardless and if they want to be competitive in the area of sex and relationships they need to either cultivate attractive skills or conform to a more generally pleasing body image or as close as they possibly can. Whether it be skinny or fat people, one or the other is going to be considered more attractive ultimately, and the other will feel marginalized because of it.
I can barely hear you over all the cynicism.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
infohippie said:
I'm wondering exactly who is doing all this body shaming? Most men's opinion on women's body appearance is either "I would" or "I wouldn't", so I'm guessing it's mostly other women who are commenting so much?
Pretty much, look at the front cover of most womens magazines. Guys penis..ez like what they like, it is like you say as simple as yes i would, no i wouldnt. Skinny shaming now lol nothing is good enough is it.