A cry for help from someone trying to get Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines to work!

akfg666

Dec 9, 2010
Hello fellow Escapists! I was wondering if you could help me with a spot of bother I am having with VTM:B...mainly that it won't work.

I'm running Vista 32 bit and I have tried the unofficial patch workaround and No CD patch that are allegedly supposed to work, however no luck. I get the error: "The procedure entry point CommandLine_Tier0 could not be located in the dynamic link library tier0.dll. Failed to load the launcher dll. The specified procedure was not found".

I've been Googling for the last few hours and have yet to find a solution and so I turn to you fellow Escapists...anyone have any idea how to fix this?

EDIT: Should note, I'm using the CD version, not Steam

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Erm...ok, for what it's worth, I don't think a no CD patch is compatible with the UP. That would be my best guess, that is - I've never heard of "CommandLine_Tier0", to be honest, I have no clue what would that be but my hunch is the no CD patch. Alternatively, or in addition, I could suggest trying one of the alternative vampire.dll files in \Vampire\dlls\ - you will find several there try renaming them from .dll. to just .dll but also keep your original one just in case (I usually name it vampire.dll~ or vampire.dll.backup). I think the d2d .dll works around a lot of issues. Not that one, as I said, I never heard of it, but helps with others. Still, do try them all.

Hmm, looked it up, seems to be some kind of...Steam error. This will probably sound strange, but try and create a blank file called Steam.dll and place it in the directory of the game.

akfg666

Dec 9, 2010
DoPo said:
Hmm, looked it up, seems to be some kind of...Steam error. This will probably sound strange, but try and create a blank file called Steam.dll and place it in the directory of the game.
I'll give it a go but as I stated, it's the boxed edition...but still, anything is worth a try! Also, Noob question but how would I go about creating said blank file?

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
akfg666 said:
DoPo said:
I'll give it a go but as I stated, it's the boxed edition...but still, anything is worth a try! Also, Noob question but how would I go about creating said blank file?
Create a text file, and rename it from New Text Document.txt to Steam.dll. Just in case, you also need to go (in Windows Exporer) to Tools -> Folder Options -> the View tab and make sure "Hide extensions of known file types" is unticked.

akfg666

Dec 9, 2010
DoPo said:
akfg666 said:
DoPo said:
Create a text file, and rename it from New Text Document.txt to Steam.dll. Just in case, you also need to go (in Windows Exporer) to Tools -> Folder Options -> the View tab and make sure "Hide extensions of known file types" is unticked.
Tried all that...same error :( This game just refuses to work!

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
akfg666 said:
DoPo said:
akfg666 said:
DoPo said:
OK, it was still worth a try. Have you tried reinstalling with just the UP and without the no CD patch?

akfg666

Dec 9, 2010
DoPo said:
akfg666 said:
DoPo said:
akfg666 said:
DoPo said:
OK, it was still worth a try. Have you tried reinstalling with just the UP and without the no CD patch?
Tried just vanilla, tried just No-CD, tried just UP..still nothing. To be honest I think the problem may sadly lie with vista being an an unstable OS to use with older games

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
akfg666 said:
DoPo said:
akfg666 said:
DoPo said:
akfg666 said:
DoPo said:
Tried just vanilla, tried just No-CD, tried just UP..still nothing. To be honest I think the problem may sadly lie with vista being an an unstable OS to use with older games
Dunno, it's just an extremely weird issue, as I said - never even heard of it. And I've been hanging around Bloodlines boards for a while now. For the record, I have played Bloodlines on 32 bit Vista, didn't actually have any issues. I was a bit surprised at it, too. Doesn't mean everybody wouldn't have issues, though, Bloodlines has a history of being very picky.

Since I can't seem to help, I can at least point you at the direction of somebody who can - you can try the GameFAQs Bloodlines board and/or Planet Vampire - I know wesp5 visits both of these (recently vladdmaster also started posting, at least on GameFAQs) and if somebody would know everything about the game, it'd be those people, seeing as they are doing the Unofficial Patch and all.

I'd like to ask one more thing, though - I suppose it's my last try, I've run out of other ideas - do you have Steam installed? The error you're getting seems to be Steam one, from what I found, so if you do have Steam on there, it may be something to do with that. I had a very vaguely similar issue with HL1 (CD version) which mistakenly called on Steam and thus failed to load. It was...strange to say the least.

akfg666

Dec 9, 2010
DoPo said:
akfg666 said:
DoPo said:
akfg666 said:
DoPo said:
akfg666 said:
DoPo said:
Dunno, it's just an extremely weird issue, as I said - never even heard of it. And I've been hanging around Bloodlines boards for a while now. For the record, I have played Bloodlines on 32 bit Vista, didn't actually have any issues. I was a bit surprised at it, too. Doesn't mean everybody wouldn't have issues, though, Bloodlines has a history of being very picky.

Since I can't seem to help, I can at least point you at the direction of somebody who can - you can try the GameFAQs Bloodlines board and/or Planet Vampire - I know wesp5 visits both of these (recently vladdmaster also started posting, at least on GameFAQs) and if somebody would know everything about the game, it'd be those people, seeing as they are doing the Unofficial Patch and all.

I'd like to ask one more thing, though - I suppose it's my last try, I've run out of other ideas - do you have Steam installed? The error you're getting seems to be Steam one, from what I found, so if you do have Steam on there, it may be something to do with that. I had a very vaguely similar issue with HL1 (CD version) which mistakenly called on Steam and thus failed to load. It was...strange to say the least.
Ah thanks, I'll check them out :) as for steam, yes I do have it installed...any ideas? Thanks for all the help by the way!

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
akfg666 said:
as for steam, yes I do have it installed...any ideas?
Well...ok, the problem I had was due to Steam.dll but I don't really think you should be having that same problem. Anyway, here is something you can try to make sure it's not the same or similar enough - shut down Steam (right-click and choose exit on the tray bar icon), then go to the Steam directory and rename Steam.dll to anything else - you can use the same pattern as before (I use it for any file I need to keep a backup of), e.g., Steam.dll~ or Steam.dll.backup or Stam-backip.dll - doesn't matter, the important thing is to be with a different name. Now try launching Bloodlines. If it still fails, then...it just means it's not that file but it might still be linked but I can't really say for sure. At any rate, just be sure to rename the file back to Steam.dll and then you can relaunch Steam if you wish.

akfg666 said:
Thanks for all the help by the way!
Any time - I always try to help with Bloodlines when I can. Seriously - it's even listed in my interests on my profile :D