A cure needed for mental retardation

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
I've taken a programming test today (not the final, the final's on Wednesday), and I completely bombed it. I just don't get it, a child can learn how to code, and here I am, a dude in his 20s who studies nearly every day bombing a test that's probably piss easy to ace for the rest of the class. The worst thing is that most people I know keep on saying I'm some kind of genius, yet I'm fully aware that they're all just lying to me to keep my morale up. Is there a cure for my mental retardation that I can take?, and (pardon my crassness) don't be an ass that just says "git gud."

Gaius Livius

Oct 30, 2013
I don't really get how you can have prepared so well and somehow completely failed. That's just not how things work. The only time that tends to happen is if you don't read what you are meant to be doing properly or just freak out as soon as the test comes round and blank. As for the "Cure" well you just have to see where you went wrong and go from there.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Gaius Livius said:
I don't really get how you can have prepared so well and somehow completely failed. That's just not how things work. The only time that tends to happen is if you don't read what you are meant to be doing properly or just freak out as soon as the test comes round and blank. As for the "Cure" well you just have to see where you went wrong and go from there.
Unfortunately for me, well, you know that dude you see in comedies who makes a bowl of cereal that catches on fire? Unfortunately for me, I'm that dude.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Are you actually mentally retarded, or are you just being cute?

Assuming you're just having a lark, you need to prepare more. Be honest with yourself. When you say you're practising everyday, are you? Because it may be like when fat people underestimate their intake of food and overestimate exercise; you're just giving yourself the benefit of the doubt.

MidnightCat

Jul 21, 2009
It's not unusual to find learning to code difficult - when I was at uni, plenty of people in my classes had trouble with it, at least at first.

Some of the mistakes I can remember people making included trying to memorise batches of code to regurgitate during the exams. That's never going to cut it; it'd be like trying to learn maths by memorising that 1 + 1 = 2.

I'm curious, how did you study for the test, and what language are you learning? And what did you find difficult?

Rosiv

Oct 17, 2012
I started to learn coding from no background in a community college at the age of 17, fast forward to age 21, and i flunked out of my computer science degree. Sorry if that was not inspiring, but computer science in my opinion is hard. When I see 1/2 a class just get destroyed on a exam, I know it is not really the easiest absorbed material.

That being said, if you are really worried about computer science you could hire a tutor, or see the proffesor for help. Try coding every day? Nothing else really you can do outside of asking for help or coding practice; but like trying to be a doctor or engineer, those majors have alot of "wash outs", so I wouldn't feel stupid if you cant pass it.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
MidnightCat said:
It's not unusual to find learning to code difficult - when I was at uni, plenty of people in my classes had trouble with it, at least at first.

Some of the mistakes I can remember people making included trying to memorise batches of code to regurgitate during the exams. That's never going to cut it; it'd be like trying to learn maths by memorising that 1 + 1 = 2.

I'm curious, how did you study for the test, and what language are you learning? And what did you find difficult?
yes, and we're learning javascript

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
MidnightCat said:
Same here - sure "a child can learn how to code" may be true but some children can also draw way, way better than me, for example. Nobody is perfect. Programming isn't hard if you're into it but, for example, one of my friends in Uni just couldn't get it for some reason. He'd understand the theory behind it just fine but then pretty much just start flailing around if he needed to actually do something. And unfortunately, the revelation that he doesn't like coding came after the first half of our second year, when it was a bit late to switch over.

DarklordKyo said:
we're learning javascript
Oh gods... Why? I don't think JavaScript is a good language to start. Actually, maybe not a good language at all. And JS is my job. Sure, it's easy to just pick up and do simple stuff with and it also supports more complex constructs but I think the difference between the two learning-wise is quite big. Knowing other languages first (so you are aware of the general concepts) would make it simpler but still significant.

I'll try able to help out if you have more specific questions, if you want.

But I suppose actual advice I can give you is: try to pinpoint what you don't understand and why. If you're able to know the underlying reason you're not getting something, then it can be addressed.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
DoPo said:
MidnightCat said:
Same here - sure "a child can learn how to code" may be true but some children can also draw way, way better than me, for example. Nobody is perfect. Programming isn't hard if you're into it but, for example, one of my friends in Uni just couldn't get it for some reason. He'd understand the theory behind it just fine but then pretty much just start flailing around if he needed to actually do something. And unfortunately, the revelation that he doesn't like coding came after the first half of our second year, when it was a bit late to switch over.
Unfortunately, the reality is that, even if I didn't like it, I have no choice in the matter. I have no skill in anything, I'm not lucky enough to make it as anything that's not a technical career, and my goals pretty much require a CS degree.

DoPo said:
DarklordKyo said:
we're learning javascript
Oh gods... Why? I don't think JavaScript is a good language to start. Actually, maybe not a good language at all. And JS is my job. Sure, it's easy to just pick up and do simple stuff with and it also supports more complex constructs but I think the difference between the two learning-wise is quite big. Knowing other languages first (so you are aware of the general concepts) would make it simpler but still significant.
Unfortunately, Java is the focus of my programming 1 course (one of the reasonings being that some languages, like C++, are basically American English compared to the British English that Java is, if you don't mind the comparison).

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
DarklordKyo said:
Unfortunately, Java is the focus of my programming 1 course (one of the reasonings being that some languages, like C++, are basically American English compared to the British English that Java is, if you don't mind the comparison).
Wait, is it Java or JavaScript you're learning?

MidnightCat

Jul 21, 2009
DarklordKyo said:
DoPo said:
Wait, is it Java or JavaScript you're learning?
Java, sorry
Java's a solid language to learn the basic principles of coding.

What level of skill and understanding do you have so far? Could you, for example, pass the FizzBuzz challenge?

FizzBuzz challenge said:
Write a program that prints the numbers from 1 to 100.
But for multiples of three print "Fizz" instead of the number and for the multiples of five print "Buzz".
For numbers which are multiples of both three and five print "FizzBuzz".
And what level of skill and understanding are you expected to have to pass the subject?

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Black-outs happen. You probably need to try out methods so that you can go to the exam with less stress.

I didn't exactly study programming, but for me it always worked when I didn't try to learn the theory by heart; but instead made my own spin on the theory. I would recite this out loud before the exam. Then I could usually give the textbook answer as well as answer questions that tried to determine your understanding of the theory.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
DarklordKyo said:
The worst thing is that most people I know keep on saying I'm some kind of genius, yet I'm fully aware that they're all just lying to me to keep my morale up.
This is probably a good sign. It's called the impostor phenomenon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome). If everyone thought you were stupid and you thought you were just a genius everyone refuses to recognize, then there'd be cause to worry.

I don't like blowing my own horn, but I'd consider myself pretty intelligent, if being in a physics PhD program is anything to go by. The thing about intelligent people, and this is from personal experience as well as the fact that I spend most of my time with other intelligent people, is that we spend a lot of time feeling really stupid. Personally, I'd go so far as to say that the more often you truly feel the limits of your intellect and knowledge, the smarter you are, because that indicates a willingness to work at your limits.

Is there a cure for my mental retardation that I can take?
If you were able to meet the requirements to enroll in the class, not to mention able to get yourself onto this forum and your own and post here, it's safe to you're functioning at a healthy capacity.

I think the problem here is much more likely your approach to how you're practicing and studying. Are you really studying every day? And what are you doing to study?

And how are you doing in your other classes?

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
renegade7 said:
what are you doing to study?

And how are you doing in your other classes?
Well, I did so relatively decently in my Pre-cal algebra class (though it's after a previous failure), not to mention I failed my Advanced Japanese 1 class, and had to drop my Discrete Math class.

As for how I study, I mostly study through repetition.