A "Debate" between Moviebob and Jim Sterling.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
While I am not usually a fan of flame wars, I think it would be highly entertaining to watch these two go at it over a topic they don't agree on. Both of these guys are fairly opinionated and are often considered to have abrasive personalities (read:they make people mad in the comments). Perhaps in person, perhaps at Escapist con (hint hint).

Just as long as it's not anything to do with ME3 *shudder*...

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
I suppose watching two fat men argue with each other would be quite hilarious to watch. They must wear suits, top hats and have walrus mustaches. Oh and old english accent too, can't forget that!

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I think it would be awesome, but I doubt The Escapist wants 2 of it's biggest contributors to go after each other

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I can see Jim backing up his opinions with facts while Bob shouts over him. Honestly, how else would it go down?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Fappy said:
I can see Jim backing up his opinions with facts while Bob shouts over him. Honestly, how else would it go down?
:p Sounds about right, actually...

OT: It would be an interesting debate...........but only if Yahtzee got to be the moderator. :3

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Fappy said:
Well, it could turn into a deathmatch where Bob uses his Nintendo zapper to attempt to kill a chainsword wielding Jim... which, actually, I think I'd rather watch than the debate.

OT: I'll watch Jim debate anything. Moviebob, not so much. He occasionally has a point when he talks about movies, but there's a reason I don't watch his "The Game Overthinker" show.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Fappy said:
Well, it could turn into a deathmatch where Bob uses his Nintendo zapper to attempt to kill a chainsword wielding Jim... which, actually, I think I'd rather watch than the debate.

OT: I'll watch Jim debate anything. Moviebob, not so much. He occasionally has a point when he talks about movies, but there's a reason I don't watch his "The Game Overthinker" show.
Ah but you see that's the genius, they both are the kind of people who never back down from a point no matter what evidence is shown to the contrary. It would be glorious.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Fappy said:
Bob then cries about he is right and Jim's an idiot.
Jim "wins" and gets respect from the Internet

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Did anybody read Extra Consideration while it was running? You know, the column where Yahtzee, MovieBob and Jim all talked about stuff? No? Just me? It's right here on The Escapist...

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Fappy said:

Ah but you see that's the genius, they both are the kind of people who never back down from a point no matter what evidence is shown to the contrary. It would be glorious.
Not so. Jim has, at least in one instance, actually revisited a topic after being told he was wrong and reevaluated his position.

Mandal0re

Oct 18, 2008
I'm surprised by the amount of people here who seem to think such an event would be an unruly slagging match, structured and rational debates are a glorious element of academia and both these guys are intelligent and well mannered. I think it would be brilliant, I would certainly watch it.

Having said that I am inclined to agree with the guy who said Jim would support his points with facts and Bob would-not necessarily shout over him- but, he doesn't tend to back up his opinions as rationally. After all this is a guy you ragged on Halo's story mercilessly for some really odd reasons and yet I remember watching a game overthinker once where he speculates over the romance arcs in the Mario franchise really seriously for like ten minutes as if Mario was a fucking Jane Austin novel or something. Now Halo's story certainly isn't great but when you're trying to extract deep meaning from Mario you know you have a fucked up double standard.

Stilkon

Feb 19, 2011
Starik20X6 said:
Did anybody read Extra Consideration while it was running? You know, the column where Yahtzee, MovieBob and Jim all talked about stuff? No? Just me? It's right here on The Escapist...
Yeah, but that kinda tanked when Extra Credits left. James P contributed to that as well.

Mandal0re said:
I'm surprised by the amount of people here who seem to think such an event would be an unruly slagging match, structured and rational debates are a glorious element of academia and both these guys are intelligent and well mannered. I think it would be brilliant, I would certainly watch it.

Having said that I am inclined to agree with the guy who said Jim would support his points with facts and Bob would-not necessarily shout over him- but, he doesn't tend to back up his opinions as rationally. After all this is a guy you ragged on Halo's story mercilessly for some really odd reasons and yet I remember watching a game overthinker once where he speculates over the romance arcs in the Mario franchise really seriously for like ten minutes as if Mario was a fucking Jane Austin novel or something. Now Halo's story certainly isn't great but when you're trying to extract deep meaning from Mario you know you have a fucked up double standard.
Hmm... Valid point. Never noticed that, actually.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
didn't we already have this kinda debate?
but if they were to engage in a deathmatch bob would win, assuming he finds a way to weaponize nostalgia first.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
FelixG said:
Terminate421 said:
Fappy said:
Bob then cries about he is right and Jim's an idiot.
Jim "wins" and gets respect from the Internet
You forgot that Bob would also call Jim an entitled crybaby!

OT: I would pay for a pub club membership just to see that debate.

Then again, what would they debate about? Jim probably doesn't know anything about movies, and Bob has proven he knows nothing about games...
You have proven you don't know anything about moviebob. He runs a show called "The Game Overthinker" which has been running from before he even started movie stuff. So yeah, he's qualified to talk about games.
Also, just so you know since I reckon this is the reason you said that, Opinion you don't like on a subject =/= knowing nothing about the subject.

Odin311

Mar 11, 2010
I think a debate between them would be a good watch. If they have a bit of time to research there opinions, I think that it could come off as a fun and informative.

Jim has shown that he can change, and all of his points are well thought out. I enjoy his persona as well. Mainly because I believe that he is completely different in person.

One of the biggest problems that Bob has is how he comes across to the viewer. His trolling episodes don't help much either. I would like to think that he is every bit as thoughtful and articulate as a few of his episodes show.

I do think that he has some kind of fetish thing for Nintendo though. I tried watching some of the Game Overthinker episodes, and it was so negative anything not Nintendo, and he lauded Nintendo so much that I felt that there could never be any impartiality to his thoughts. It definitively put Bob into a negative light for me. His movie reviews seem to be better thought out, and fairly close to my viewing preferences though.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Mandal0re said:

Oh, that's just Bob's fanboyism. I'm pretty sure that if a Nintendo logo with a penis showed up on Bob's doorstep, he would fellate it til his jaw fell off.