A Depressed Friend

kikon9

Aug 11, 2010
So recently, something happened at my school, and a close friend of mine had a bit of a falling out with her friends, she's stopped spending time with them and everyone I've talked to has said she's been depressed lately. I managed to talk to her a few days ago, and she'd just gotten out of an argument with a few of her friends, and was on the verge of tears. We talked and I think I cheered her up, but I've continued to hear about her being depressed.

I want to help her, but I don't know her schedule during the school day and I can't ever seem to find her. I just want to help her out, the thought of her being depressed scares me, and I just want to see her happy again.

Any and all advice is appreciated, I just don't know what to do.

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
You could ask people who have the same classes as her or who might see her any other way to tell her that you're looking for her.

Worked pretty good for me when I was in school since I mostly hung aroung the same places during breaks and free periods.

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
Remember that there is the world of difference between being sad because you fell out with friends, and Depressed.. the mental condition.

She's upset, that's normal, try to be there for her. Don't try to make to much of a point of it though, just behave like anyone else would hanging out with her.. support her.

Eusebius

Jun 13, 2011
Craorach said:
Remember that there is the world of difference between being sad because you fell out with friends, and Depressed.. the mental condition.

She's upset, that's normal, try to be there for her. Don't try to make to much of a point of it though, just behave like anyone else would hanging out with her.. support her.
Pretty much this. There's not a lot you could do either, since you're not particularly close to her.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
There isn't much to do at this point, except open the door. It can be as small a gesture as sending an email saying, "Hey, I heard you've been down lately, and I just want to let you know that I'm here if you want to do something fun or just need to talk."

Other than that, just leave her be. Some people just need more or less space when they're sad.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
Yes, depression and feeling sad is very different.

In your case, tell your friends that do have the chance to see her to talk to her and say hi to her.