A Different Kind of Minecraft: Telltale Making Episodic Game With Mojang

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
A Different Kind of Minecraft: Telltale Making Episodic Game With Mojang

Telltale is making a narrative Minecraft game for 2015.

Mojang [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/telltale%20games] announced this morning a collaboration on an episodic, narrative game called Minecraft: Story Mode. The standalone game will be available on consoles in 2015.

Mojang noted members from its team would be working with Telltale to make the game as "Minecrafty" as possible. Minecraft [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/minecraft] is an open game with a lot of creativity on the player's end; it doesn't really have a story. Mojang stated, "We're not intending on creating an 'official' story for Steve, or explaning the world of Minecraft in detail. It will be a cool game."

Mojang first revealed the news through a little game called Info Quest II. [https://mojang.com/2014/12/play-info-quest-ii-you-might-learn-something/]

Minecraft: Story Mode will be episodic like other games made by Telltale Games, and the player will drive the story through choices. This is not an add-on to Minecraft but a standalone game.

A narrative spinoff for Minecraft sounds like something out of left field, but there's already a Microsoft bought the developer Mojang [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132556-Minecraft-Movie-Being-Developed-by-Warner-Bros] this September.

Mojang mentioned in the announcement that "members of the community" will also be working with Telltale and Mojang on Minecraft: Story Mode, but we're not sure what exactly that entails.

The first episode for Minecraft: Story Mode will release in 2015 on Xbox consoles, PlayStation consoles, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android. Other games out in 2015 from Telltale Games include Game of Thrones and Tales from the Borderlands.

Source: Telltale Games [https://mojang.com/announcing-minecraft-story-mode/]

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Wait... is it April already?

Because when I think of Minecraft, "narrative driven" is not what comes into mind.

Still, have to give them credit to Telltale and Mojang, this was a surprise.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
I'm not a fan of The Walking Dead or Minecraft, but I'd pay for a The Walking Dead Telltale game made with the Minecraft aesthetic. Unfortunately, my tastes will not be catered to this time.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
I'm kinda suprised it's going on playstation sense Microsoft owns minecraft now I figured they would make any new minecraft stuff exclusive.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Eh, why not?

Minecraft seems like it can be a medium for pretty much anything these days.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
I'm just hoping they opt to use the animations and models of the original game instead of going for the god-awful style all those terrible Youtube song parodies use.

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
As much as I like Telltale, the fact that a Minecraft narrative game is the most interested I've been in one of their game announcements since The Wolf Among Us is kind of depressing to me.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Next up from Telltale games:

[ul]
[li]Pacman; Wakka Wakka[/li]
[li]Tetris; Waiting for Line block[/li]
[li]Pong; Behind the bat[/li]
[/ul]

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
While it might seem odd at first, Minecraft seems like a good property to give to Telltale. While it isn't really the focus, Minecraft very much supports the idea of emergent narrative. It takes a talented writing team to exploit that sort of potential, but if anyone can do it it's Telltale.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
freaper said:

[ul]
[/ul]
Mine Sweeper: Clickety Click Episode I
Solitaire: Just Hit New Game Episode I
Sudoku: What Am I Missing??? Episode I

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Well, it isn't like fans haven't been creating their own narrative stories in Minecraft maps (like the The Lost Potato adventure map). Let's see if Telltale can do it better than the fans.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
esserin said:
Telltale Games: "We'll make you cry all the feels in ANYTHING!!!"
Well said good sir/madam/reptilian.
Johnny Novgorod said:
freaper said:

[ul]
[/ul]
Mine Sweeper: Clickety Click Episode I
Solitaire: Just Hit New Game Episode I
Sudoku: What Am I Missing??? Episode I
Sudoku:Crap! I have to start over. Episode V.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
So... walking dead - just with testificates and Steve?

I am not ready for that kind of feels. I don't want to know what Telltale will do with Endermen... but I am certain it will strip you of your soul if you dare look at it

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Well, can't say I didn't see something like this coming, Microsoft was never going to spend 2.5 billion solely for a game reaching the latter days of it's lifespan. A Telltale game is not what I expected though, I'll be keeping a hopeful eye on this.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I like Telltale, but can we seriously get another company to make these episodic story-driven games based on existing properties?

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Wow.

I already thought the Borderlands idea was kind of dumb, but this really takes it to a new level. What's next?

Snakes and Ladders: The Musical? Game-Of-Thrones On Ice? A Lego movi- Oh.

Screw you all.