A Dirty Little Secret

nightmarejoe

Dec 13, 2008
Hence why PS3 should always have trophies on their games now..
They have the capability, why not do it like Microsoft!

Oh wait, they let you play fallout for 2 months then release a patch for trophies so you can start all over again!
BLAST!

Dec 19, 2008
Achievements are good for two reasons:

1. You can show off to friends and the general gaming community.
2. They add replay value to games that you wouldn't otherwise erm... replay.

So, trying your best to earn an achievement doesn't make you an "achievement whore". But buying certain easy to complete games *coughAVATARcough* just to further your gamerscore does! I won't lie I have done this in the early achievement days, as I was in direct competition with friends. Anyway, my point is achievements are a good thing and help to make games last longer. Also, I started Fallout 3 again just to see what differences I could find in quests and the main story by being evil/neutral just like i did with oblivion.

Graham

Dec 5, 2008
Do what you enjoy. Achievements can be fun so enjoy them.

hypothetical fact said:
The only true downside of achievments is when you join a multiplayer game but instead of playing the game, everyone starts linnig up so they can take turns killing each other.
That is indeed an issue. I hate when games with prominant multiplayer have achievements that you have to go out of your way to achieve. Too Close to the Sun from Halo is a prime example. I was in a number of games where people would pass on rocket pods (the perfect weapon for taking out a banshee) and pick up the laser just to try and get the achievement. Whenever I was teamed with those people, we usually lost because they'd sacrifice meaningful tactics for a peice of flair.

That crap is frustrating. But I have no qualms with achievements in single player or coop games as they don't ruin the experience for anyone else.

Disthron

Aug 19, 2009
"built around a central tenet of heaping scorn and derision upon all aspects of console gaming at every opportunity."

You know, I could have swarn it was console gamers who were constantly heeping scorn on PC gamers. In fact, here on the internet PC gaming hardly ever gets a mention.