A Dose of Japan: One Punch Man (ONE PAUNCH!!!!!!!!!!)

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
So, hopefully I kinda am getting back into anime that isn't One Piece again. So the reviews should start back up.(for you know, nobody who cares). I'm coming back with a bang with probably the best anime of 2015, One Punch Man. One Punch Man is the anime adaptation of the manga sharing the same name. The first season was given the standard 12 episodes. You've got into, let's review...

[HEADING=1]One Punch Man[/HEADING]​

Story

One Punch Man takes place in a renamed Japan, called City Z. For some unknown reason, this city has a massive monster problem. It seems every day a new monster arises to destroy the world. A group called The Hero's Association came to be, uniting the strongest warriors to protect humanity. The story begins with a young man named Saitama, who decided he wished to become a hero. After three years of constant strength training daily, he has become the hero he has always dreamed of being. Too bad he's so powerful he defeats every enemy in one punch and doesn't seem to take any damage from anything. Luckily he meets another hero, the cyborg Genos, who decides Saitama needs to be his master and train him in the ways of being a hero. Thus starting his journey to become a famous hero.

I loved this story. It's so stupid you just can't help but love it. We have a protagonist who at this point in time can literally not be defeated. Antagonist mean absolutely nothing, danger is never real, and have you seen his face. This isn't a show that takes itself seriously and I can dig that. It's a parody after all. Even as a parody it does a fantastic job of creating a awesome setting.

Characters

Saitama is a lazy, oblivious,and plain character. He frequently shows kindness as well and takes the fall several times in the series to make others look good. Genos is headstrong and always going on about justice. He frequently goes into fights he cannot win, causing Saitama to come and rescue him. Last for more mainish characters we have Speed-o'-Sound Sonic. A ninja who thinks himself unbeatable. The rest of the cast isn't given much thought right now. We have Silver Fang, who is an old martial artist, and Tornado of Terror, who is a small woman with terrifying psychic powers.

Besides Saitama and Genos we haven't bee given too much info or scenes with other characters. No backstories really or anything like that. But even a lot of these characters are awesome. Atomic Samurai, Metal Bat, Silver Fang, and Tornado of Terror are all heroes that I just can't wait to learn more about. The two main characters are easy likable as well. Genos with his straightman humor and Saitama with his obliviousness. I really have no complaints with the characters at all.

Animation

So this is something I rarely talk about in my reviews, but this show warrants it. This show has the best, and I mean absolute best, animation of any anime I've ever seen. The fights are mind-blowing beautiful, putting every shonen I've seen to date to complete shame. Even the standard everyday scenes in Saitama's apartment look breathtaking. It's almost funny a show parodying a genre gets the action scenes better than them.

Overall

This is a show anyone who likes a good parody should watch... even if you just like awesome action scenes you should watch this. The only solid reason I say not to watch this series is if you hate parodies. There is not other logical reason to skip watching it. I was hyped by the internet before even watching a single episode of this series and it still met all my expectations.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
One Punch Man was a super solid 12 episodes, but I feel that if they go further, it will lose a lot of its appeal. The only route to go is easy more zany and wild with the parody, because there is zero drama in any battle was Saitama shows up. Eventually it will go into full self-parody mode, because the whole story falls apart as soon as anyone gets anywhere near Saitama's level.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
monkeymangler said:
One Punch Man was a super solid 12 episodes, but I feel that if they go further, it will lose a lot of its appeal. The only route to go is easy more zany and wild with the parody, because there is zero drama in any battle was Saitama shows up. Eventually it will go into full self-parody mode, because the whole story falls apart as soon as anyone gets anywhere near Saitama's level.
There is another way. The wrong way. The next story arc that Season 2 would cover basically has Saitama just not show up til the end. Just sort of imagine going from Episode 5 to episode 11 without the main character putting in an appearance. Kind of dumb. Luckily the author realized how stupid it was to have a year long story line where the man who can kill anything in one punch doesn't actually punch anyone, and he's rewriting the arc to be better. I appreciate that.