A Favorite Game/Book/Movie/Band's/Etc Worst Release?

saluraropicrusa

undercover bird
Feb 22, 2010
i don't know if i'd do the same rereading it, but there was at least one whole chapter of the final book in the series Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams that i skipped due to how boring i found it--though, To Green Angel Tower is a supremely long book either way, so there was plenty left to read.

to continue with reading, i've read through a good chunk of At the Mountains of Madness (though haven't yet finished it), and so far i find it to be my least favorite of the Lovecraft stories i've read. given that the unknown (and unknowable) is the main thing that makes his stories spooky, At the Mountains of Madness way over-explains... just about everything about the Old Ones. really takes the mystique and strangeness out of them almost completely, for me.

for games... while i don't think Mass Effect: Andromeda is in any way as bad as people think (to me it's a decent game, mediocre at worst), it really failed to grab me. it has a lot of the things i disliked about the gameplay in the first game, without a story that grabbed me the way the first one did (possibly because it's not introducing anything that i found as cool as the aliens we've already seen--the Angara are cool but the other new things fail to excite me at all). that i like the squadmates/crew members doesn't counter the fact i can't get into the game enough to keep playing it (at least for now).

movies/tv... this might be an unpopular opinion, but while it had good moments, i didn't like Serenity at all, especially not as a conclusion to Firefly. i was never a fan of River Tam (too often see characters with pasts/issues like hers used as an excuse for them to be "weird"/"quirky" in a way i find totally devoid of charm), but the fact the movie is mainly about her (and about her being overpowered), really killed it for me.

not to mention it completely destroyed whatever made the Reavers intimidating or scary, like, at all.

and i really don't like the whole "psychic" angle--the series was mostly grounded sci-fi, making this element stand out to me as being way out of place. that and it excuses behavior from River i don't think should be excused (attacking Jayne before he'd done anything to her rather than when he actually wronged her).

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.

Yes, you read that right. I prefer The Phantom Menace and even Attack of the Clones over that movie. So much nerd rage comes to the surface when I watch that one. It...is both amusing and terrifying to people who have seen how I act when talking about that movie.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Sniper Team 4 said:
Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.

Yes, you read that right. I prefer The Phantom Menace and even Attack of the Clones over that movie. So much nerd rage comes to the surface when I watch that one. It...is both amusing and terrifying to people who have seen how I act when talking about that movie.
But I like Revenge of the Sith! It's the best prequel movie, and overall, the third best Star Wars movie!

(Come on, you know you want to flip out...do it...the hate is swelling through you...every moment you delay you make yourself more my servant...)

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Fallout 4 is a steaming pile of shit in comparison to 3 and New Vegas. The streamlined 'rpg' aspects just made every character feel the same. The voice acting (apart from the sarcastic responses) was shit, Boston was incredibly dull to explore (I can't remember any Landmarks bar the flying ship), the story was unengaging - I don't care for a baby I knew for 2 seconds.

Season 3 of The Walking Dead (Telltale) is also garbage. The ending you got at the end of season 2 is just swept under the rug. Some of the dialogue is woefully written and performed. Elements of the story make no sense AT ALL, and all the characters are shit except for Clementine, who got replaced by a degenerate stoner with a spicy butt hole.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
GAME:
Having loved Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 3 to death, number 4 was a huge letdown.
I guess it's not straight out bad, but it felt really shit to me. Still haven't finished it, doubt I ever will.

BOOK:
Shantaram is one of the greatest books I have ever read, easily in my top 3.
I was quite excited for the follow up, The Mountain Shadow, but it's just not very good.

MUSIC:
Metallica - St. Anger

FILM:
Making a sequel to Donnie Darko was never going to be easy, but S. Darko failed on every conceivable level.