A fear.

MawnLower

May 9, 2008
Copter400 post=18.72058.745988 said:
Of course you'll be remembered. Just don't become a hobo, and you'll be fine.
Yes.
Or you can be Dane Cook (or some other comedian -- I forgot), smash a man's ice cream in his face, and certainly be remembered.
Dying would suck, though.

Asymptote Angel

Feb 6, 2008
If people show up to your funeral and someone is sad because you're gone, then your life had an impact. I think it's almost impossible not to achieve at least one of those upon dying, so I wouldn't be worried.

You may be worried that the world as a whole will forget you, and you do have to accept that you aren't Alexander the Great or William Shakespeare. However, you will never be forgotten by your friends and loved ones, and they matter infinitely more than six billion strangers.

squiggothhunter

Aug 4, 2008
kanada514 post=18.72058.748439 said:
No matter what, earth and humanity will cease to exist sooner or later. What then?
Who will remember anyone whether it all ends next year or when the sun dies in thirteen billion years?
There is no immortality. Time consumes all and even the universe is inconsequential.
Life after death?
Does the insect squashed underfoot get one? Only humans, because they have a soul right...?
Eeeeh, not so convinced. Wouldn't be just more intricate neuron connections and evolution that makes us smarter than the rat we once were?
Regardless, get used to the idea of embracing the endless void, or if you prefer, in-existence. Just like before you were born.
Of course, you'll survive in people's memories for some time, but even that is so ephemeral.

We all have the same fear you do. But think of all the people it has happened to before. Are they unhappy? Of course not, they just don't exist.
1. Did the internet kill jesus or can only faithless people access the internet?
2. Seeing as im one of those faithless, im seriously devoting my life to any form of immortality. Download my brain in a computer chip? If i retain enough of myself to still be myself than hell yes. Wait, actually, build a badass robot first.
3. Seriously, if i cant find a way to exist forever than ill put all the religions that seem legit on a wall and throw a dart and hope for the best. Its really all you can do.

squiggothhunter

Aug 4, 2008
sorry I dont think wanting to not die is arrogant. Its being hopeful. Its being human. And the afterlife isnt saying try again, its more of a cookie. or a flaming piece of razored crap if ur naughty. so the message goes. but your right, messages gets royally screwed up over centuries of incompetence.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
I'm fine with death. I'm not fine with not existing.

Alexander the great exists, and as long as we have history classes, he will continue to be.

Razzle Bathbone

Sep 12, 2007
If you want to exist forever, don't worry. You do. Here's how it works.

Mathematically, space and time are the same thing. Structurally there's no difference. An object's (or person's) duration is no more or less significant than its height or width or depth.

As three-dimensional beings, we cannot perceive any more than one single instant of time. We can imagine or remember other instants, but we can't perceive them directly. However, that doesn't mean those moments aren't still there. The world doesn't turn invisible when you close your eyes. Similarly, a moment in time doesn't cease to exist just because you're not passing through that particular moment.

Spacetime is a multi-dimensional structure in which everything happens in a single moment that lasts forever. A many-dimensional creature (a god, perhaps) could look at it from outside of spacetime and see the history of the entire universe from beginning to end, and everything that happens, everywhere, all at once.

In that eternal moment, everything that has ever existed lasts forever. The only reason we see things as transitory is because we're only able to perceive three dimensions at a time. The transitory nature of things is an optical illuuuuuusion created by our three-dimensional nature. Seen from outside the universe, a being that lives forever is not much different from a being that is infinitely tall or wide.

Don't be afraid. None of us need fear nonexistence. Everything that exists, has ever existed, or will ever exist, lasts forever if you view it from outside our universe. Which means these things can actually outlive the universe itself. How's that for immortality?

Shivari

Jun 17, 2008
kanada514 post=18.72058.748561 said:
Have you thought of the eventuality of a Big Crunch?
What then? All matter and information is condensed into elementary particles and virtual particles, forming a primordial ooze similar to the one that has caused the Big Bang.
Energies, time, and space condensing in a single point before also leaving any trace of their existence.
I'd sooner believe dark matter than a Big Crunch ever occuring. If the universe is speeding up as it expands something has to be making it do that. If a Big Crunch were to occur the universe would be slowing down and then move back in, but it's speeding up.

Razzle Bathbone

Sep 12, 2007
Okay, let's assume there will be a big crunch. That means there was once a big bang. As a result, the shape of our universe's spacetime is narrow at both ends. It's narrow at the beginning of time, and it's narrow at the end of time. Shaped sort of like a multidimensional football.

Thing is though, that shape is still eternal. Viewed from outside, a being could see the entire football. And that football encompasses all of our universe's spacetime, which lasts forever.
kanada514 post=18.72058.748561 said:
I still dislike the idea of a deity being able to watch me taking a shit or in the shower for all eternity.
Sorry, but if there are any multidimensional thingummies out there, they can do exactly that. Take comfort in the thought that they're probably more interested in other bits of our spacetime.

Sardonic

Aug 19, 2008
Holy.
Shit.
Existentialism and quantum mechanics on teh interwebz... On FORUMS... I LOVE YOU ESCAPIST MAGAZINE!!!

As for me, I don't fear death in the least. I fear failing to carry out the dreams I owe to myself to fulfill. Once I do that, I don't care whether I live or die. But (and trust me on this one, guys) if you do well for yourself and finish everything you want to do in life, you will WANT to die. Trust me. My great aunt was perfectly happy, there was no reason for her to want to die. But she did. She was talking about killing herself, starving herself, but realized that would take too long... And, as if willed by some greater being, she tripped (not saying there IS a god... Frankly, I'm not sold on the subject myself, but still... It was just TOO perfectly timed). Right then. I don't know the science behind what happened, but it slowly killed her. Peacfully, painlessly, and willingly, she died. And she wouldn't have had it any other way.

Shivari post=18.72058.747764 said:
Is it better to be remembered for horrible things or be completely forgotten?
Wow... Shivari, I'm gonna remember you for that quote. That's perfect. And see how easy it is, guys? Someone I've never met before, who I've ever seen, or who's voice I've ever even heard, I will now remember, at least for a while. So much as a sentence can get you remembered by someone you've never met. I know that isn't what you're looking for, Aries_Split, but keep in mind, you affect other people more than you, and sometimes even they, realize.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
The thing is, if one does horrible things it is impossible to be forgotten.

Wait... That was your original point, wasn't it.

Shivari

Jun 17, 2008
Sardonic post=18.72058.748681 said:
Wow... Shivari, I'm gonna remember you for that quote. That's perfect. And see how easy it is, guys? Someone I've never met before, who I've ever seen, or who's voice I've ever even heard, I will now remember, at least for a while. So much as a sentence can get you remembered by someone you've never met. I know that isn't what you're looking for, Aries_Split, but keep in mind, you affect other people more than you, and sometimes even they, realize.
Sweet, I just affected someone's life.

Go me!