Country
United States of America

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I was hoping for more updates on the actual people striking at Blizz HQ.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
There was a comment in Sterling's video that struck me(paraphrased):
These people only care about money. In the literal sense: anything else is acceptable sacrifices as long as it doesn't hurt their bottom line.
Is there anything that can be done from an average Joe's perspective that makes it so that such behavior DO hurt their bottom line? Not purchasing their products is the obvious answer, but I was already doing that, and not promoting their products is the other obvious answer, but I already was not doing that.
The only thing I can think of is to infiltrate fan-events with Q&A sessions and come with hard hitting journalistic questions designed to make the people that are already fans question if they should be that.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The only thing I can think of is to infiltrate fan-events with Q&A sessions and come with hard hitting journalistic questions designed to make the people that are already fans question if they should be that.
Anyone who's still a fan of Blizzard at this point would probably ask Bobby Kotick for an autograph while he was burning down their house. No, the only way to assail this juggernaut now is through the government, with massive fines and jail times.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Anyone who's still a fan of Blizzard at this point would probably ask Bobby Kotick for an autograph while he was burning down their house. No, the only way to assail this juggernaut now is through the government, with massive fines and jail times.
Do I look like a guy that wants an autograph from Bobby Kotick?

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
It was a one day thing. Very little was sacrificed by them for that strike. Compare it with the Frito-Lays strike we talked about a while back and it (The Blizzard strike) is just pathetic.
I knew it. Unionization is impossible without anyone willing to sacrifice for a better future.

The Writer's Guild Strike of 2007 lasted far longer

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Probably yeah.

Anyone expecting gamers to vote with their wallets is setting themselves up for disappointment, especially if there's even a minute risk of missing out on their shinies.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Probably yeah.

Anyone expecting gamers to vote with their wallets is setting themselves up for disappointment, especially if there's even a minute risk of missing out on their shinies.
I mean, the people that work there aren't helping, and I mean the people that aren't directly involved with the allegations. Because I listen to a few Hearthstone podcasts and the word I heard from the people of those podcasts was things like, "boycotting doesn't work and just hurts everyone that works at the company." Or how they know and have talked to people in the company who don't want people to boycott or whatever because it hurts the good people too and change can only truly happen from within, etc.
I feel if this was really as wide spread and as bad as the lawsuit made it out to be then we wouldn't have this limp reaction from the workers, or that the workers are also not taking this seriously. It feels there's a few actual serious problem people in this case but that most of this is posturing and just a cover for doing other things.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
After seeing Woolie and Pat's recent video about Activision and Blizzard, I'm glad I never bought Warcraft. They banned the spit icon or emoji, because it was upsetting their whale of players that always bought the most expensive things or that stupid horse, yet the n-word, both variations, are allowed for free of use in the chat.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
After seeing Woolie and Pat's recent video about Activision and Blizzard, I'm glad I never bought Warcraft. They banned the spit icon or emoji, because it was upsetting their whale of players that always bought the most expensive things or that stupid horse, yet the n-word, both variations, are allowed for free of use in the chat.
Do you know what that is? Its literally a text prompt that appears in the Chatbox in the game.

No one in all of WOW's history treated this feature 100% seriously as essential to the game. People are busy dungeons, PVP, Raid, and leveling to even notice and care.

The only reason this controversy is even a big deal now because of the circumstances of its removal now. But in the end nothing of true value was lost with the removal of the "spit" emote. Which again is literally just this

| "You spit on x " |

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Do you know what that is? Its literally a text prompt that appears in the Chatbox in the game.

No one in all of WOW's history treated this feature 100% seriously as essential to the game. People are busy dungeons, PVP, Raid, and leveling to even notice and care.

The only reason this controversy is even a big deal now because of the circumstances of its removal now. But in the end nothing of true value was lost with the removal of the "spit" emote. Which again is literally just this

| "You spit on x " |
Worse would be the removal of the Sorry Emote from Hearthstone because some people got upset over it being used sarcastically or by them interpreting it to be sarcastic. They replaced it with the Wow Emote which can also be used sarcastically like, "Wow, amazing play dude, good job playing those cards out of order."

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Worse would be the removal of the Sorry Emote from Hearthstone because some people got upset over it being used sarcastically or by them interpreting it to be sarcastic. They replaced it with the Wow Emote which can also be used sarcastically like, "Wow, amazing play dude, good job playing those cards out of order."
Seriously MatPat/Woolie, as much as I like them, Youtubers are just spinning a narrative about a game that does reflect the reality that is me actually playing it.

That's why I look down on so many of these gaming youtubers, because to me most of them are outsiders. None of them played WOW, and if they did, it was probably years ago back when it was still Vanilla WOW or Cata and has not touched the game since. And they have the audacity to say anything they themselves probably have not played in ages if not at all.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

| "You spit on x " |
From the way they sounded, it sounds like people have been using it every single day or for most of it's use or the past 15 years. And even if it doesn't get much use, it's the principle of the matter. These assholes would sooner try to please the people that spend the most money on their crappy DLC and micro transactions, but can't bother to offer the same courtesy for people that are black for those that were fine the word offensive. Which makes sense because the people on top are racist and sexist assholes. And they're more than happy to please assholes on the lower and higher class scale.