A fourth console: Lenovo iSec

The Paradigm

Oct 12, 2009
So if you buy multiple consoles will you have isecs...?
In all seriousness, it just seems like it's trying to follow up on the Wii's market of family and casual games, and it seems likeanyone in the market for an iSec would already have a Wii, which has those types of games and other popular nintendo titles as well.

Plus, the thing looks like an air freshener or something.

=HCFS=Discoman

Jan 1, 2010
okay, so there's an i in front of the name...
does apple have anything to do with this?
seriously, you'd think that they wouldn't bother with consoles after the pippin.

this sounds like, from OP description, like it's trying to take over the market the wii created with exercise games and such.

well, if it is actually built and put up for sale,next time i'm in a store that has a demo unit, i'll probably try it out. might as well.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
retterkl said:
I asked about 7 or 8 people to name all the laptop makers they know this morning, and none of them said Lenovo, so if their laptops aren't well known then this will probably flop.
I only know Lenovo for this badass commercial with the great song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgcR7TbWMQw

Pillypill

Aug 7, 2009
It's not going to do well in the west that's for sure. Infact i doubt it will do well anywhere. Is there really any point trying to compete with sony, nintendo and MS now?

icame

Aug 4, 2010
This is going to flop so hard and I will laugh. Infact, let me grab some popcorn right now.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Will probably have no good games, so obviously I'm not interested. Also the lack of a controller disappoints me greatly.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
I think it sounds alright. People shouldn't hate on it because it's aimed at a completely different market to the average poster on this forum.

I forgot

Jul 7, 2010
Stammer said:
I forgot said:
Stammer said:
I forgot said:
no controller, not interested
My thoughts exactly. I'm glad the Wii was relatively inexpensive because learning that motion controls were a bad idea could have been an expensive mistake. And no controller at all whatsoever is even worse.

This thing? Guh. Well, power to them I guess.
This comparison should be made with the Kinect, not the Wii. The Wii was successful. The Kinect was an expensive mistake and so was Move.
lol, I wasn't comparing the two. I was just saying that I bought a Wii several years ago and the only game I've played on it since I first got it was Brawl. It was a mistake, but as I said, thankfully it was comparatively inexpensive.

And then I pointed out that what makes this iSec even worse is that it's like the Kinect which doesn't use even a remote wand. Controller >>> Wand > Nothing.
I thought you meant mistake on part of developers not you as a consumer.
Microsoft spending millions if not more on just making Kinect, which ended up being an expensive add-on to specifically play controllerless wii-copycat games that required you to be in a well-lit area in the camera's view barely allowing 2 players, and millions more advertising the damn thing without returning what was spent, is a developer mistake.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
I forgot said:
Stammer said:
I forgot said:
Stammer said:
I forgot said:
My thoughts exactly. I'm glad the Wii was relatively inexpensive because learning that motion controls were a bad idea could have been an expensive mistake. And no controller at all whatsoever is even worse.

This comparison should be made with the Kinect, not the Wii. The Wii was successful. The Kinect was an expensive mistake and so was Move.
lol, I wasn't comparing the two. I was just saying that I bought a Wii several years ago and the only game I've played on it since I first got it was Brawl. It was a mistake, but as I said, thankfully it was comparatively inexpensive.

And then I pointed out that what makes this iSec even worse is that it's like the Kinect which doesn't use even a remote wand. Controller >>> Wand > Nothing.
Microsoft spending millions if not more on just making Kinect, which ended up being an expensive add-on to specifically play controllerless wii-copycat games that required you to be in a well-lit area in the camera's view barely allowing 2 players, and millions more advertising the damn thing without returning what was spent, is a developer mistake.
Microsoft will make up it's investment a hundred times over on the Kinect simply by licensing out the technology for others to develop non game uses. As a game controller it is an semi interesting novelty act. As a standardized and inexpensive industrial control mechanism it has some real possibilities.

As far as this Chinese game system. I'm betting a massive fair trade complaint will prevent it from spreading far into the western world, and Japan and Korea will treat it like toxic waste. Granted it has a substantial built in market in China (where the X Box, PS3 and Wii can't be sold). But I just can't see it as anything beyond a weird collectors item in the west. (and by all reports it's already grossly delayed and has substandard performance.)

I forgot

Jul 7, 2010
faefrost said:
I forgot said:
Stammer said:
I forgot said:
Stammer said:
I forgot said:

Microsoft will make up it's investment a hundred times over on the Kinect simply by licensing out the technology for others to develop non game uses. As a game controller it is an semi interesting novelty act. As a standardized and inexpensive industrial control mechanism it has some real possibilities.

As far as this Chinese game system. I'm betting a massive fair trade complaint will prevent it from spreading far into the western world, and Japan and Korea will treat it like toxic waste. Granted it has a substantial built in market in China (where the X Box, PS3 and Wii can't be sold). But I just can't see it as anything beyond a weird collectors item in the west. (and by all reports it's already grossly delayed and has substandard performance.)
That is true. Microsoft can make more money by selling Kinect for non-game uses more than game ones. Have they even taken advantage of this?

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
This "thing" (also known as piece of shit) is destined to failure.

retterkl

Oct 27, 2008
Dexter111 said:
retterkl said:
I asked about 7 or 8 people to name all the laptop makers they know this morning, and none of them said Lenovo, so if their laptops aren't well known then this will probably flop.
They took over the laptop business for IBM in 2004 (they manufactored them even while the brand name was still IBM (IBM ThinkPad)) and are rather successful with them... your friends have heard of IBM, haven't they?

They also entered a fusion with NEC in early 2011 with Lenovo owning 51% and NEC 49%.
They are a big player. Question is just how much effort or money they are willing to put behind this.
I'm not sure if you mention IBM to someone it'll spark a thought of gaming. I'm asking people who are like ~18 and they mostly answered Asus, Acer, HP, Apple, Dell, Sony, Alienware, MSi and Toshiba.

ten.to.ten

Mar 17, 2011
Looks like a cable modem. Are they even going to attempt to market this thing internationally? I'm guessing that they could probably sell enough units in China for it to be worthwhile (barely) but they'd be mad if they were trying to legitimately competed against the Kinect or the Wii.