A freeware BSG space sim just got released

adamant_2001

Sep 5, 2012
Okay, I'm part of the game's team. It's a freeware Viper sim called Diaspora and we just launched the first episodic release a few hours ago.

A certain person with some sert'er ferign accent who likes space sims makes videos on this site, and I figured that people here should know:

After four long years in the making we are proud to release Diaspora: Shattered Armistice. Diaspora is an episodic-release single and multiplayer space fighter combat game set in the reimagined Battlestar Galactica universe. Diaspora is a standalone freeware game based on the FreeSpace Open Engine, everything needed to play is in the download. The project is not-for-profit and not associated with NBC Universal or Bigpoint's Battlestar Galactica Online.

Our team opted for episodic releases, each involving short plots surrounding different Colonial or Cylon ships and characters. The first Release, Shattered Armistice, tells the story of the Battlestar Theseus and her crew during the attack on the colonies. Many ships seen in the show are part of the first release but some such as the Viper MK2 and the Battlestar Galactica are going to be seen in later releases where they are part of the main story.

Shattered Armistice has a fully-voice acted 8 mission campaign with an original score and cinematics. Several ships never before seen in the Battlestar Galactica universe such as the Sobek class battlestar and Assault Vipers make an appearance.

If there is continued fan interest and support, future episodic releases will see ships such as Pegasus and Galactica from the show. You'll also see more ships not from the show that flesh out the Cylon and Colonial fleets.

http://www.diasporagame.com

Edit- Website is down due to heavy traffic.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWt2m1xtJbw&feature=player_embedded

Windows Torrent
http://diaspora.fs2downloads.com/Diaspora_R1_Windows.exe.torrent

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
Looks sweet, I´ll give this a go when I get home. There aren´t nearly enough space sims nowadays. And based on BSG? Even better.

adamant_2001

Sep 5, 2012
Spectrum_Prez said:
Is the name a homage to the old F2P MMO-ish ship-based combat game Diaspora?
Nope, just that the actual word ties well with the setting, since it's a diaspora to a new home.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Looks like a bit of olright- but it's too dark. You can barely even see the stars. And you gotta at least be able to see the stars...

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I love me a Freespace 2 mod...although I don't care for BSG (Boomer is a guy) I'll still give it a whirl.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Squilookle said:
Looks like a bit of olright- but it's too dark. You can barely even see the stars. And you gotta at least be able to see the stars...
To be fair, If your in a spaceship and the engines and running lights are on you wouldn't see too many stars. The lights from the ship would block the light coming from most stars.

OT: Cool. I love BSG, I wish it was more of a RPG but hey I can't complain over freeware. Nice job guys.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
MortisLegio said:
Squilookle said:
Too be fair, If your in a spaceship and the engines and running lights are on you wouldn't see too many stars. The lights from the ship would block the light coming from most stars.
When you're driving in a car, the engine noise drowns out nearly all sound from the outside world. Should sandboxes then, by this logic, silence all outside noise when you drive around?

No, because, well... that would suck, wouldn't it.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Looks pretty cool. Will download later when I have the time.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Squilookle said:
MortisLegio said:
Squilookle said:
Too be fair, If your in a spaceship and the engines and running lights are on you wouldn't see too many stars. The lights from the ship would block the light coming from most stars.
When you're driving in a car, the engine noise drowns out nearly all sound from the outside world. Should sandboxes then, by this logic, silence all outside noise when you drive around?

Both in games and in real life I pump up my music until I can't hear the outside world. Not THAT'S realism.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Squilookle said:
MortisLegio said:
Squilookle said:

Notice how it's a clear night and no stars are out. It's because the city is brighter than the stars. I'm not saying you wouldn't see any but most would to far away and/or not bright enough to see in a spaceship with the engines firing and the exterior lights running.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I'm fully aware of the effect you're talking about. My point is that just because it's realistic doesn't mean you should abide by it.

Notice how this scene is, to put it mildly, dull as ditchwater. Now look at this:

OK, maybe it's a bit overboard, but it's still more interesting as a background.

Even this is a better looking background than next to nothing:

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Well I was intrigued by this but the lack of a functioning website hinders me from checking it out...

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
I was totally expecting a Rick roll. Instead, website is down.

That's what happens when you advert on the escapist...

adamant_2001

Sep 5, 2012
On the stars, the goal of the project was to look like the show. So yell at Zoic who did the initial art direction for BSG ;)

A windows torrent and trailer link's been added.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
This isn't that new, I remember playing the demo of this (or some other BSG Freespace mod that looked very similar) years ago.