A Game of Thrones: Genesis Review

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Jimmybobjr said:
And im actiualy wondering if the book im talking about is the same book as what everyone is talking about, and not a entirely different thing.
There are a lot of weird relationships in this book series, several of them involving sex. They're not what most people read the series for, though. They're just sorta...there.

Jimmybobjr

Aug 3, 2010
Shjade said:
Jimmybobjr said:
And im actiualy wondering if the book im talking about is the same book as what everyone is talking about, and not a entirely different thing.
There are a lot of weird relationships in this book series, several of them involving sex. They're not what most people read the series for, though. They're just sorta...there.
Yeah.

I was thinking of trying it again, but i had too much of a good upbringing to read books with really descriptive sex scenes. Considering that a hundred pages in there was a Underage sex scene, i just stopped.

Might have to try it again some time, but for now...

eh.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Giest4life said:
Is the video not working for anyone else? It's giving me the illusion of buffering, but I suspect that it's actually not going anywhere.
Yep, same here - I click to play it, but I just see a weird white goatee continuously drawn on Jon Snow's face.

EDIT: Ah, it's finally playing.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
You know, from the sounds of it you didn't actually hate it as much as you led on.

You acknowledged a surprising amount of good features. The "delaying war" tactics and sending spies into cities actually sounded pretty interesting.

Then again, I am the last person you would ask if you wanted an educated opinion on an RtS, so there's that.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
Jimmybobjr said:
I was thinking of trying it again, but i had too much of a good upbringing to read books with really descriptive sex scenes. Considering that a hundred pages in there was a Underage sex scene, i just stopped.
Well it's a matter of perception, it's not underage sex in the context of the setting/story.

History books are filled with what would be considered underage sex in our current culture.

And while your "good upbringing" may have limited your capacity to keep an open mind about it, none of the sex scenes have an erotic or exploitative quality to them. ie: the scenes are there for dramatic reasons, not baseless titillation.

Jimmybobjr

Aug 3, 2010
GrandmaFunk said:
Jimmybobjr said:
Well it's a matter of perception, it's not underage sex in the context of the setting/story.

History books are filled with what would be considered underage sex in our current culture.

And while your "good upbringing" may have limited your capacity to keep an open mind about it, none of the sex scenes have an erotic or exploitative quality to them. ie: the scenes are there for dramatic reasons, not baseless titillation.
I never meant to try and say that my upbringing was like that, i simply meant that everything i have learent about underage sex = bad.

However, i have since discussed it with some who have read the book, and read some responses on this forum, and is considering retrying the book after all.

All i meant is that, at the time, there seemed to be no real reason for the scene in question. If there is, however, a greater meaning behind it all, im fine with it.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Jimmybobjr said:
All i meant is that, at the time, there seemed to be no real reason for the scene in question. If there is, however, a greater meaning behind it all, im fine with it.
Characterization. That relationship is a tremendous factor in shaping who the girl grows up to be. This might boggle your mind to think about, but that underage relationship was basically the most healthy relationship she'd been a part of in years; up to that point she'd mostly just had her older brother, and he was very abusive to her on a number of levels pretty much constantly. Then she was sold to this barbarian warlord who, as it turned out, proved unexpectedly gentle and understanding. She might have been forced into that position, but he made it much easier for her than it might have otherwise been, provided her with an anchor on which she could rely, gave her the foundation for building confidence in herself and her abilities, and generally enabled her to grow as a person.

Or you could just look at it as her having been whored out as a young teenager and ignore the rest because you find it offensive. Whatever works for you.

Jimmybobjr

Aug 3, 2010
Shjade said:
Jimmybobjr said:
you could just look at it as her having been whored out as a young teenager and ignore the rest because you find it offensive. Whatever works for you.
This is all i read up to; and fromt he rest of your post its quite obvious that there is context.

I am most likely going to buy a copy now that i know theres context. It might make me uncomfortable, but at least i know that there is a reason now.

Daipire

Oct 25, 2009
I may or may not have dreamt about this game last night...

Thanks for the review, else I'd might have wasted money due to my love of GoT.

Kataskopo

Dec 18, 2009
Jimmybobjr said:
Shjade said:
Jimmybobjr said:
you could just look at it as her having been whored out as a young teenager and ignore the rest because you find it offensive. Whatever works for you.
This is all i read up to; and fromt he rest of your post its quite obvious that there is context.

I am most likely going to buy a copy now that i know theres context. It might make me uncomfortable, but at least i know that there is a reason now.
One thing you have to remember is that the books are not set in 2012 with our morals or ethics, they are sorta set in the middle ages, and specifically about that underage sex, after having their first menstruation women could marry and have kids.
That is what those sweet sixteen or fifteen years celebrations used to mean, that the girl was now a woman.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
Jimmybobjr said:
Shjade said:
Jimmybobjr said:
Yeah.

Might have to try it again some time, but for now...

eh.
Meh, you call it a "good" upbringing, I call it something that you will grow out of. I used to be rather prudish in my teens too. I'm not saying being prudish is a "bad" thing, but it rarely sticks, especially once you start mashing privates yourself.

What Martin is describing would have been pretty common 150 years ago to the beginning of human civilization, and is still common today in many parts of the world. The books are weirdly realistic for fantasy books, which is why people like them so much.