a game so simple its hard

iggyus

Apr 18, 2009
Arkham Asylum on Hard. The battle system is simple enough, but to string together enough hits for a 20+ combo you need some insane finger skills

(whitty name here)

Apr 20, 2009
benylor said:
I Wanna Be The Guy.

It's your standard 8-bit platformer with a gun and a double jump. It almost couldn't be simpler. It's just hell.
AAAAAAARRRRRGGGG that game makes me want to kill everyone in a 10km radius.

irrelevantnugget

Mar 25, 2008
sune-ku said:
Two words... Guitar Hero (or Rock Band - same thing really)

Such a simple premise - press the right button when it tells you to, but has anyone here completed 'Through the Fire and Flames' on Guitar hero 3 on anything above medium?
Can do it on Hard. Screw Expert though, it's just silly if you're able to do that.

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
Calobi said:
Mezzamine said:
You have to Burn the Rope [http://www.kongregate.com/games/Mazapan/you-have-to-burn-the-rope]. Oh, the many hours I have spent trying to figure out how to win that game!
Don't even joke about that. It took my friend's girlfriend almost 15 minutes to figure out how to beat it.
My god... Please tell me you are kidding.

It was actually a pretty good game.

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
Tetris is very simple, yet gets very hard. Other games that are simple, but bloody hard include the Lego games, Worms and The Mario games. But simple games do tend to be the best games.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
benylor said:
I Wanna Be The Guy.

It's your standard 8-bit platformer with a gun and a double jump. It almost couldn't be simpler. It's just hell.
The gameplay mechanics are standard enough, but everything else isn't. You omitted the fact that literally everything that isn't the floor is trying to kill you. Even the apples and moon.

Calobi

Dec 29, 2007
sneak_copter said:
Calobi said:
Don't even joke about that. It took my friend's girlfriend almost 15 minutes to figure out how to beat it.
My god... Please tell me you are kidding.
If I'm wrong at all, then my estimate is being generous and it took longer. It made me so sad to see her struggle, yet I could manage nothing other than to laugh.

tsolless

Jul 15, 2009
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
benylor said:
I Wanna Be The Guy.

The gameplay mechanics are standard enough, but everything else isn't. You omitted the fact that literally everything that isn't the floor is trying to kill you. Even the apples and moon.
And sometimes the floor too.

ghalkhsdkssakgh

Jul 16, 2009
RooftopAssassin said:
Catfoot said:
TriggerUnhappy said:
llamastorm.games said:
Alright, just to put you out of your misery, yes, I was being sarcastic. For Christ's sake, the ending song's longer than the actual game!
Calobi said:
Well, for most people anyway.
benylor said:
I Wanna Be The Guy.

Thank you so much. I thought I'd forgotton that game...MAKE THE CHERRIES GO AWAY!

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
Mezzamine said:
You have to Burn the Rope [http://www.kongregate.com/games/Mazapan/you-have-to-burn-the-rope]. Oh, the many hours I have spent trying to figure out how to win that game!
Man, I just can't figure it out. I've been playing it over and over for many months, but I just can't get ahold of it.

benylor

May 30, 2009
tsolless said:
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
benylor said:
I Wanna Be The Guy.

And sometimes the floor too.
Doesn't mean it's complicated. The obstacles all look different, but in reality it couldn't be simpler: Touch ANYTHING and you either explode in a shower of blood, or you get knocked into something that will make you explode in a shower of blood.

GAME OVER. PRESS "R" TO CONTINUE.

Yonnick19

Oct 17, 2008
On Guitar Hero (any), easy mode is actually hard for me since I play on expert, I think it's just the lack of rhythm in the notes on easy.

Chancie

Sep 23, 2009
The Dog Island. No, really. xD My friend made me play it on the grounds that I like dogs and video games. That game was mind numbingly easy and yet, I still struggled with it. o_O I made me feel really stupid.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Tetris. It starts out easy, but gets harder as you progress.

It can also cause a few rage quits.

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
benylor said:
I Wanna Be The Guy.

Ahhhh... You just had to remind me of this accursed game... Yes, yes I agree, it's Hell. On medium difficulty. Apparently there are 2 higher difficulties and a lower difficulty which I refused to play because the game "outfits" your character with a bloody ribbon like you are a sissy or something! I stack on Kraidgief (Or whatever was the name of this Zangief plus Kraid hybrid) and I never touched it again ever since. The fake difficulty of the game is off the rocker. (I know because I saw various Youtube runs on it)

As for commercial games (as opposed to fanmade), I would have to say: Ikaruga. Yes, it's not the most difficult bullet hell game, but the most difficult bullet hell games are usually found only in Japan anyway and since I struggled with it, even on Easy mode, I just can't think of another game that is so hard. Simple concept, easy to learn (just 3 buttons), bloody hard to master.