A Game to Restore My Faith in Games?

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Dust: an Elysian Tail

The game was made by ONE GUY, and you can tell he put his heart and soul into it. It feels more solid and has better design then most AAA stuff as well. This is also the game that restored my faith, given that Metroidvanias are my favorite genre.

It's rare that you play a game and it's so obvious the person who made it enjoyed both videogames and making the game your playing. This game hits both marks.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
I've got a few suggestions for the PS3/ 360

Sleeping Dogs- great hand to hand combat, expansive open world, and a decently long main story with fun missions. My goty of last year.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon- this game knows how to have fun, it has a great stealth system but is also competent in its action so even if you screw up the stealth you don't feel like you fucked up. The game isn't afraid to take pot shots at the current video game industry and is humorous throughout. Also the amount of collectibles and garrisons scattered across the island will keep you playing long after the story is done. Not to mention at $15 it's a steal.

Edit:

Ride to Hell Retribution- Play this game, I'm not going to say why you should just do so. It will go down in history and has gotten amazing reviews such as .5/10, 1/10, and 16/100 on metacritic.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I swear I sound more like a fanboy every day. Dark Souls. No handholding, just open-ended, implicit, effort-demanding hours of challenge and satisfaction.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
ShinyCharizard said:
Get yourself a 3DS and then buy Fire Emblem Awakening. That will restore your faith.
Amen brother, for he speaketh the truth.

in all seriousness I have sunk 450 hours into this game and it's still giving. No regrets at all.

blank0000

Oct 3, 2007
ps3:
Dyad->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32eScgkt6WQ

pc:
Thomas Was Alone: should be pretty lightweight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc0C8H1YgUM

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Mark of the Ninja is on XBLA if you want a phenomenal stealth game with fantastic level design.

Dishonored is on both major consoles if you want a really immersive story driven stealth game.

Rogue Legacy on PC is remarkably easy to run, all you need is a 1.6ghz CPU and 1GB of RAM and the graphics are very retro.

The recent Batman Arkham games are brilliant. Both of them. They're on Xbox (not sure about PS3).

Awesomenauts is a side scrolling MOBA you can get on XBLA. It really is awesome.

Dust: An Elysian Tale is a side scrolling hack and slash. If you can stand the voice acting it's pretty fun. That's on XBLA.

Just Cause 2 is a lot of mindless fun. Whizzing around with a grappling hook and parachute and blowing shit up. It's a beautiful game too. And on both major consoles.

Orcs Must Die is on XBLA. That's a 3rd person wave defense game with a great sense of humour and some really cool traps.

Terraria is a side scrolling sandbox game focused heavily on spelunking and fighting. Available on XBLA.

The Witcher 2 (Xbox) is a gritty fantasy RPG with some great characters, engaging combat and an in depth story.

Spec Ops: The Line is also on Xbox. That's a 3rd person modern military shooter with one of the most engaging stories I've ever experienced. It's also very gritty.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
MeChaNiZ3D said:
I swear I sound more like a fanboy every day. Dark Souls. No handholding, just open-ended, implicit, effort-demanding hours of challenge and satisfaction.
What satisfaction? That game is just pain and misery as far as I can tell.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
WhyWasThat said:
I own a PS3, Xbox 360, PS2, PSone and Gameboy Advance.
Any games you folks could suggest? I want a GOOD game to help me out in these dark times, one that might even restore faith in my favourite pastime.

I have but one parameter: Only games that are available for these aforementioned systems count.
Oh, and no PC games please - unless they are incredibly lightweight and/or free. The reason being that my Samsung Netbook simply cannot play even the most basic of titles, for it sucks.

All that being said, fire away! Just make sure to include the platform(s) for which your game is available, thanks.
Have you tried The Last of US on PS3 yet?

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Rock Band was the game that got me back into gaming after a long rut. It brought back the joys of group gaming and offered a rewarding progression unlike any other game I've ever played. The drums have always been the only instrument of note though. Guitar/Bass just feel gimicky since they poorly represent the real thing. The vocal mechanics are to basic to offer any serious replay value.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
A hint as to you likes and dislikes would point us in the direction because for all we know we could be recommending the games that you don't like.

Anyway here are my suggestions for the 360, they are mostly arcade / oldschool in nature

Buy the shmup mega sale for 1800msp or buy one of these Ikaruga, Strania, Guwange, Trouble Witches Neo.

other XBLA Games
Guardian Heroes HD
Hard Corps Uprising
Skull Girls
Outlander (a fantastic and unique platformer) there's a boxed version too.
Dust An Eysian Tail.
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
REZ HD
Pacman CE DX
Virtual On OT
Lumines

Boxed 360

Vanquish
Musihimisama Futari
Death Smiles
Akia Katana
Space Marine 40k
Bayonetta
Dark Souls (the one with the DLC included)
Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen.
Sonic Generations (PC is best)
Rayman Origins
DMC HD collection
Ninja Gaiden Black & 2

Also if you love oldschool platformers play Cave Story + if you haven't already

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
For consoles, I'd have to recommend the Mass Effect trilogy on the 360. Say what you will about the third game's ending, the overall package still involves some quality world-building and some characters you grow to empathize with - that are a whole lot more than disposable Redshirts or handy statistics on legs or pack mules to keep along.

For the PS3, my money's on Uncharted 2. The pace is perfect, the humour is quite good if you've got a tolerance for quirkiness, and the whole feel of the game is one of self-indulgent Pulp goodness. It's like watching an Indiana Jones movie sequel that never was. Overall, it makes for awesome summertime entertainment.

For the feel-good value of these titles, however, I'd recommend anything and everything by ThatGameCompany. Jenova Chen's guys work together to create experiences that are approachable for non-gamers, intriguing for back-seat observers, and incredibly powerful for whoever's lucky enough to have a controller in their hands. Journey is something that needs to be seen to be believed, even if it's almost painfully short. Consider flOw as a great thesis of the studio's desired output and Flower as a slightly heavy-handed take on environmental responsibility that's still worth a gander for the beauty of what it presents.

For the Wii, nothing beats Super Mario Galaxy. The first one, not the second. This is Nintendo at its best and boldest, like it hasn't been in almost ten years. The game almost mercilessly whips you back and forth between a rising difficulty level and moments where you're allowed to just sit there and gawp at what they're able to pull out of the Wii's comparatively imferior hardware.

And the score, man. The score. I still get chills from the drum punches and the flute lines in Good Egg Galaxy's soundtrack. It basically screams for you to leave your cynical adult self at the door and rediscover the feeling of being glued to your controller for reasons beside scores or basic completion rates. Whenever I want to feel like I'm ten years old again, Galaxy is my choice game.

Seriously, Good Egg Galaxy is one of those songs I keep on an iTunes playlist called "Life is Awesome." I dare you to stay depressed after giving it a listen.

I know you mentioned the PC as being your weak link, but I absolutely have to insert Myst and its first sequel, Riven, as contenders to that role for their platform of choice. The Myst series triggers the same sense of wonder that Galaxy does - but in a wholly more mature and cerebral way. Instead of just thinking that what you're looking at is visually arresting, you'll find that it's all gorgeously put together - and that there's a purpose waiting to be found for nearly everything.

For the 3DS, the only thing I can really think of is Animal Crossing: New Leaf. It needs to be enjoyed in moderation, however, and with complete awareness that you're essentially playing a glorified Facebook game. What did me in was the art style and general presentation, seeing as I'm not what you'd call a Crossing veteran. Play in little chunks or in big ones, screw most long-term objectives and just have a blast.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Glongpre said:
Awesome, I'll buy it on The Pirate Bay right away.
You can buy things on the pirate bay? Uhhh...

Anyway, Ninja Gaiden Black can be played on the xbox 360 but you might need to download some kind of patch (I did). Best game ever! No bias whatsoever!
Those animations are so nice, mmmmmmmmmm. I now have a hankering for some ninja action.
Yeah, it's not OUR fault that the Pirate Bay CHOOSES to SELL all their wares for zero dollars and zero cents.

OP, have you played either of the InFamous games on PS3? If not those, Dragons Dogma is my favorite game of the last 5 years, you can get it on both consoles.

Lennie Briscoe

Jan 18, 2011
The PS2 alone has a virtual cornucopia of games I like to bring out when I'm feeling down about the current generation.

Okami
Dark Cloud 2
Shadow of the Colossus
Time Splitters: Future Perfect
Ratchet & Clank
Sly Cooper
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
Radiata Stories
Jak & Daxter
Kingdom Hearts
Odin Sphere
God of War
Devil May Cry
Dragon Quest 8
Champions of Norrath

Christ, I could go on and on and on. Best console ever made (in my humble opinion, of course).

WhyWasThat

Jul 2, 2010
Thanks for all of the recommendations, guys. I've played/own a good many of them but there are plenty I haven't touched. A veritable smorgasbord of gaming delectables!

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
CardinalPiggles said:
MeChaNiZ3D said:
What satisfaction? That game is just pain and misery as far as I can tell.
Have you played/are you playing it yourself? If so, have you defeated Ornstein and Smough without summons? Do so and you will know satisfaction, or else you must search for a more fulfilling hobby, for you shall find none greater. The pain and misery is what makes the satisfaction so satisfying.

Offworlder_v1legacy

Ya Old Mate
May 3, 2009
It's been mentioned once before on this thread but I'll say it again.

Vanquish.

It's fast, furious fun, and if it doesn't restore your faith in gaming then I don't know what will. It's the simplest concept a game can produce, zipping around shooting at things, and then blow some other things up. It's executed beautifully and the visuals are stunning, it's the most fun I've had with a game in recent memory. Plus Steve Blum's voice is in it, and that's always a good thing. It's on 360 and PS3 but it might be a bit hard to find, I found my copy at the back of the used game section so you may have to do some digging, unless you can order it or something.

On top of that, Bulletstorm. It's kinda like Vanquish in spirit, killing things in style, but it's a FPS and has comedy elements. Plus it also has Steve Blum, which is even better. It's also a barrel of fun as it challenges you to make kills in unique ways in order to score points and upgrade your weapons and get ammo. I don't know if other people did but I found most of the comedy hilarious. It's very crude but it works with the characters. Observe:

It may not be for everyone but it works for me. It's also on 360 and PS3

So there you go, my attempt to restore your faith in gaming.

Enjoy (if you play them)

Gameslayer_93

Jul 17, 2009
Tha Last of Us on PS3 and Shadow of the Colossus on PS2/HD Collection on PS3, without a doubt 2 of the greatest games I have ever played! Oh and Bioshock & Bioshock Infinite if you haven't played them yet, a must play for any gamer