A Girl's Best Friend - Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur Is Marvel's Latest Tag Team

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
A Girl's Best Friend - Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur Is Marvel's Latest Tag Team

Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur resurrects a classic Jack Kirby character and introduces perhaps the most outrageous Marvel Comics tag-team yet.

Just when you thought <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/marvel%20comics?os=marvel+comics>Marvel Comics had mined and rebooted everything in its library, it turns out there was a big concept waiting in the wings. And when I say big, I mean prehistoric, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/reviews/cinemarter/14059-Jurassic-World-review>Jurassic World big. Based on a short-lived 1970s Jack Kirby series, Marvel will introduce Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur for its <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141410-Marvel-Launching-45-Comic-Series-After-Secret-Wars>"All-New, All-Different Marvel" event. And yes, this book is literally about a young girl and her T-Rex pal.

The original Devil Dinosaur was a 1978 series set in a parallel universe where dinosaurs co-existed with humanity's ancestors. Devil Dinosaur ended up partnering with a humanoid called Moon Boy and had many adventures, including some where they moved into the modern timeline of Earth-616. But now Devil Dinosaur is partnered with Lunella Lafayette, a latent Inhuman who opens a Kree time portal and meets the giant red dinosaur.

"Brandon [Montclare] and I were talking about co-writing books with Marvel, and we were really interested in doing something that would be a lot of fun, and that gravitated towards something that wasn't made yet or wasn't a main character or popular character for awhile," co-writer Amy Reeder explained. "I like that idea because you get to do a lot with those types of situations. You get to put a lot of creativity into it, and have your voice heard. You're not quite tied in to all the events. So that's something that attracted us."

Unlike the original Devil Dinosaur, which was largely set in a fictional past, Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur's action will keep the focus on present day. "What's really cool is to be able to put a Tyrannosaurus Rex in modern day New York City and also juxtapose with a little girl," Montclare said. "You're going to have a 30-foot dinosaur interacting with a three-and-a-half tall girl...I can't think of any other book that's kind of like that, where you have these kind of crazy things that are going to be very different to work on. But if everyone can pull it off, it's going to be a unique type of storytelling."

Naturally, the concept will lend itself to massive, larger-than-life creature battles. Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur's prime enemies are the Killer-Folk, ancient beings who also emerge from the time portal hoping to claim Kree technology for themselves. Moon Boy himself will also make a brief appearance at some point as well. But while the series will dip into Marvel continuity at some points, it sounds like Reeder and Montclare want the series to stand on its own.

[gallery=4516]

"It's not all about the Marvel continuity," Reeder continued. "It's about people, and that's something that I'm really excited about it. It's something that I actually didn't expect working for Marvel, but I'm super excited about it, and I thin people are just going to love it. It's going to have a lot of heart because it's all coming from a good place."

I don't know why Spider-Man or the Avengers will give Lunella and her giant dinosaur a pass, but I can't wait to find out. Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur launches this November with art by Natacha Bustos and a cover by Reeder.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012

... Before we get nostalgic for the old Kirby series, a reminder of what Moon Boy looked like. And also Devil Dinosaur.
Who looks like he's plotting something nefarious for NEXTWAVE to deal with.

OT: Looks fun? Sounds kind of like their trying to catch the Ms. Marvel lightning in a bottle but hey, I'd read it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I guessing Moon Noy will bite the dust now that he got replaced by the new character?

Also isn't the whole secret war still going on? I wonder which worlds this comic will take place on?

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
reminds me so much of this;

Another Marvel girl-dino team-up Arsenic and old lace from he Runaways

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
CaptainMarvelous said:

... Before we get nostalgic for the old Kirby series, a reminder of what Moon Boy looked like. And also Devil Dinosaur.
JSoup said:
And then he was in Agents of H.A.T.E.

I heard that guy was retcon into being a clone when nextwave was made canon just to let you know it's technically not the same dinosaur.

OT:dinosaurs make everything awesome I'm in.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
tf2godz said:
CaptainMarvelous said:

JSoup said:
And then he was in Agents of H.A.T.E.

I heard that guy was retcon into being a clone when nextwave was made canon just to let you know it's technically not the same dinosaur.

OT:dinosaurs make everything awesome I'm in.
Yeah, but it's also the only appearance he had for several years. If anything, I reckon it'll be Steve's D. Dinosaur from that Planet Hulks tie-in.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
This needs to be in the MCU just so i can see Thor riding to battle on a mother fucking T-rex.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Meh. Just more examples of marvel digging up old properties instead of doing anything new or interesting. And no, making "moon boy" a black female teenager isn't actually interesting in and of itself. Frankly given how crap Montclare and Reeder's last collaboration "Rocket Girl" was, I expect this to go 5 issues.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
$20 says that the word wacky was up on a white board while the committee was putting this together.
Also, ugh that generic art style. That's exactly what I'd think of when I think mediocre fanart.