A Good Game for an Absolute Beginner?

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
If you have ps3, I suggest Heavy Rain. Controls are easy enough and she should be able to get through it on easy setting.

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
Something by Double Fine or Telltale. And indeed, let them figure it out.

Also, if you have a DS, The Layton games may be the right ticket.

irmasterlol

Apr 11, 2012
The Plunk said:
Minecraft would be a good game to start as it's really only as hard as you make it (just tell her not to dig straight down!)

Also, Portal and Portal 2 as the puzzles require logical thinking rather than gameplay expertise. Plus, the brilliant writing shows just how far games have come.
I don't think a new gamer would really know enough to appreciate these games. I tried to get my girlfriend to play Portal, but she panicked and shut down in one of the early rooms. A recurring question in getting someone to play Minecraft would be "why?" and I really wouldn't have an answer. A non-gamer really just wouldn't have the experience to understand why freedom or strong storytelling within gameplay is important.
I would say it's important for a game to be clear in what the player is meant to do, and be very specific about how to go about doing it. I'd say Spyro the Dragon if you've got that laying around. They tell you to free dragons and then immediately drop you in front of the first dragon, who in turn tells gives you a smaller goal of freeing X dragons to continue.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Tons are recommending Minecraft. NO, NO, NO. That game is really confusing to new players unless you go through the wiki constantly (which probably won't be enjoyable), due to it not having a tutorial.

I would second Portal, however it's first person, which might confuse her considering her inability to control Ghost Recon.

Y'know what might really work? Cave Story. Simple, free, extremely fun.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
zDoom.

That is, Doom with full mouse-look and jump mods. It is a fundamental yet very simple shooter.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
The Abhorrent said:
The Portal series is a great place to start, as both are known for being 90%+ tutorial for the player and entertaining the whole way through. Not too difficult, and puzzle games aren't too demanding in terms of reaction times and that; controls are quite simple as well, and introduced at a rate that's perfect for gaming newbies. To top it off, the games aren't too violent nor offensive in any way (GlaDOS' scathing remarks aside)... though the humour can be a bit dark at times. Portal 2 comes with a co-op mode as well, though it's recommended that both parties got into it dark (haven't played the co-op mode before); that way you can solve the problems together, not just have one guide the other through it.

For other PC suggestions? Maybe the two recent re-releases for the Monkey Island franchises (for the first two games of said franchise, called "Special Editions"). Point-and-click adventures are a bit dated as a genre at this point, but those are whole-heartedly entertaining and hilarious.

And so far, everything is available on Steam.

---

Now for the mildly tricky part, platformers. While it was requested to keep things on the PC, platformers are a bit rare on it; Nintendo has some of the best ones on the Wii, if you're able to get her on it. The reason you want to look at platformers is because they're more or less pure gaming fun; and as a result, a great way to get someone into gaming (by showing them what it's all about). While the genre definitely has a "for kids" look to it, anyone can have fun playing them; they're just that damn good.

Super Mario Galaxy and it's sequel are probably the best to go with, both of which received near-unanimous praise from both critics and players. Again simple controls are at work here, but they also have motion controls; while that might seem off-putting at first, the game's design knows they're new to everyone and eases players into them. Someone who's completely new to gaming might actually have an advantage here, as they don't have to fight the muscle memory developped from years (or a couple decades) worth of playing games with a standard controller.
I disagree with Portal. I've seen newcomers confused with the game play and controlling dual analog (my father didn't understand game play, my sister struggled with dual analog)

Mysterious Username

Jun 4, 2012
EternalFacepalm said:
Tons are recommending Minecraft. NO, NO, NO. That game is really confusing to new players unless you go through the wiki constantly (which probably won't be enjoyable), due to it not having a tutorial.
Fun fact: The Xbox 360 port actually does have a tutorial for what it's worth.
Although I agree that the game is far too complex for an absolute beginner.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Try any Point N' Click adventures. Good ones are everywhere on the internet (some even for free), and usually have very simple control schemes that utilize abilities most of us have already learned (point at things and clicking on stuff), so they should be easy for people who do not game to get a handle on. Try those before you try anything else (and I mean anything). Trust me, for an older person, those are by far the best.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Try Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

*evil grin*

OK, what about Skyrim on PC? Simple enough, but really good game.

Sep 14, 2009
lRookiel said:
EDIT: Quite hard since most of my games have a fair amount of action in :/

However, I think Portal(+ Portal 2) is a fun puzzle game that is not too challenging, it's just an absolute joy to play the game(s).

Oh and ofcourse the Nintendo platformers :3
yeah, my 4 year old brother was having lots of fun with portal when i first showed it to him, besides the later levels there isn't much on "dying" or anything, so playing around with the mechanics is fun at first.

also, as mentioned, any nintendo platformer, especially on the wii. however, you said pc, so maybe the sims? (no offense on this, i play the games and love em too) but alot of moms tend to like those games.

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
Have you gotten her to play Bastion yet? The "No-Sweat" mode seems like it would be a perfect fit, and the game has an amazing story to boot.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
The Fable franchise is very easy on new gamers, so I'd suggest that. Scarygirl is a fun little platformer she might enjoy as well.

Thing is, it's hard to recommend things when we have no idea what sort of stuff she likes. Is she fond of sci-fi, fantasy, both or neither? Does she mind violence or not, or does she actually love things like action flicks? Does she like horror or not? Etc etc etc.

We sort of need more to go on if you want us to make good suggestions. Tell us more about her tastes in entertainment.

Evilpigeon

Feb 24, 2011
Point and click adventure games. Story focused, challenging and engaging puzzles, simple controls.

If you're trying to get somebody into a new form of entertainment you need to give them things they're familiar with. I doubt many non-gamers are going to take to mario or any other very mechanics focused experiences in a big way. This is why Portal is an amazing gateway game, it has an intriguing story and puzzle based gameplay which means that people who aren't going to be mechanically competant can still get into the experience without much difficulty.

Examples of stuff my Mum has enjoyed:

Discworld 2 Point'n'click
Myst series
World of Goo
Heavy rain

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Alot of people are probably going to foam at the mouth at this suggestion, but I'd say CoD4.

Available on PC, no "trenches" to speak of, pulls you in within the first 5 minutes, not too terribly difficult, and she's already familiar with shooters.

Smallells

Feb 18, 2010
Lego games.
Lego Star Wars to be exact.
My parents never play video games because they get motion sickness JUST BY WATCHING IT.
However, I remember trying to play Lego Star Wars with my mother and it was a blast. Get the original game, play with her, and Just.Have.Fun.
You can't lose, there's incentive for you to do better, and it brings quite a few elements of challenges to attempt to get completion rates. It's fun for two or one players. THE ORIGINAL LEGO STAR WARS!
My advice anyway...

Zaydin

Mar 2, 2009
There's always the Civilization series, or Plants vs Zombies. I'd also recommend Bastion, let's see.... Braid might be good, too.

Nightmonger

Jul 1, 2010
What about the recently HD'ified monkey island games ? simple point and clicks reasonable visuals now and quite a few funny moments which is always a good thing.

On the other hand I would suggest looking at your mothers interests and asking her what she would like to play or heck ask her to sit down infront of steam and have a browse and see what looks interesting and then take it from there.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Dark Souls! I kid, I kid

But yeah, Bastion is pretty simple to play, I only ever really used 2 buttons (aside from wasd)