A good (J)RPG.

DC_Josh

Harmonica God
Oct 9, 2008
Good news everyone!

Picked up lost odyssey for the 360 and to my surprise, the game was actually not that bad. The battles were reminicant of the good era of final fantasy (eg random and turn based) and the plot, although not quite as deep and meaningful as FF7 or 9, was enough to keep me hooked through the respectable 4 disks of gameplay.

Long story short. I completed it and it left me wanting more. Can any of you lovely people recommend a good RPG? It would be good if it was in a similar style as L-O. I did look at Last Remnant but according to reviews, its interface is terrible and various technical issues spoil the game.

Suggestions?

Dragon_of_red

Dec 30, 2008
Im liking Lost Oddesy, im not very far into to, stupid funeral took ages, but i am enjoying it.

Hmmmm, so you want a good Turn based one right? Just turn based?

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
The Shin Megami Tensei series is always a good place to start if you have a PS2 (and honestly who doesn't?). Check out Nocturne, the Digital Devil Saga games and Persona 3.

And really that's all you need. If you have a GC though check out Baten Kaitos (which arguably had the best turn based combat system ever). It's an incredibly underrated game but I had one of my best times ever playing this game.

greenboy2004

Feb 2, 2009
Vlane said:
The Shin Megami Tensei series is always a good place to start if you have a PS2 (and honestly who doesn't?). Check out Nocturne, the Digital Devil Saga games and Persona 3.

And really that's all you need. If you have a GC though check out Baten Kaitos (which arguably had the best turn based combat system ever). It's an incredibly underrated game but I had one of my best times ever playing this game.
Don't forget Persona 4 it is an excelent game that refines the experience of Persona 4 plus there are some absolutly hilarious moments in it, and unlike Persona 3 the good ending will not cause you to start cutting after seeing it.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
What platform? Is it just 360? In that case I can't help.

If you have a DS there are loads.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
If you count Fire Emblem as a JRPG then it is the best JRPG.

daz_O_O

Click me I'm here!
Aug 27, 2008
Tales of Vesperia, and Tales of Symphonia if you can get and play a copy. Both great games with good battle systems and interesting character and plot developments.
Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata aren't terrible either but do some research on the systems and themes 1st. Blue Dragon's similar to LO in battles and story progression, but it's more childish and its class based. Eternal Sonata is quite different and I liked it, apart from the terrible voice acting.. *shudders*

Star Ocean games are a good bet too, though the 360 ain't great storywise.

I'm just waiting on FFXIII now. *sigh*

DC_Josh

Harmonica God
Oct 9, 2008
D4zZ said:
What platform? Is it just 360? In that case I can't help.

If you have a DS there are loads.
Its only for the 360 atm. I will get a PS3 when all the riches of the world are mine to enjoy.

Keep em coming guys. Doing research on them all.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Tales of Vesperia
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Symphonia.

There's many more in the Tales series. that series isnt really "turn based" but its still a JRPG. Oh also there's Phantasy Star online and .hack

cyber_andyy

Dec 31, 2008
Isn't this thread a paradox?

I dont think there are many on Xbox 360, however, I'm probally wrong.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Fire Emblem series for an awesome Strategy RPG (hard as hell if you're trying not to die though)
-FE1 on DS
-FE7 and FE8 on GBA
-FE9 on Gamecube(?)
-FE10 on Wii

Tales Series (not turned based, since too many people complain about that)
-Tales of Symphonia on Cube
-Tales of Symphonia sequel on Wii
-Tales of Vesperia on 360 and PS3(?)

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona series.

Star Ocean series.

The World Ends With You

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
If you want to see how good JRPGs can be, any of the Final Fantasys might be right up your alley.
It's like World of Warcraft. Sure there are other MMOs out there, but if you want to see the best of MMOs, its that. Just like FF is probably the best of JRPGs.

(That being said, both genres aren't great.)

Cuddly Knife

May 20, 2009
Eternal SOnata
Blue Dragon(also from Mistwalker, who did LO)
Enchanted Arms

Those are on the 360, unlike some of the other posts who go off on other systems.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Seconding the recommendation for Baten Kaitos.

Vlane said:
I preferred the Active Time Battle system from Baten Kaitos Origins, personally, though the first game is still pretty good.