A good RPG to play?

Russano_Greenstripe

Apr 10, 2011
I heartily recommend Skies of Arcadia: Legends to any RPG fan. Basically, you're an air pirate in a fantasy counterpart world to ours, but with magitek. The plot is fun, the characters are very rarely annoying or wangsty, the mechanics for ship-to-ship combat is arguably one of the best features of the game, and there's a titanic world for you to explore.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
I recommend The Witcher 2 - if you can run it that is. The Mass Effect series is always a good place to start, as is Dragon Age: Origins. Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 is also enjoyable and fairly cheap.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Dragon Age: Origins(Fantasy party based RPG with some of the best characters and writing I've ever seen, in video games or otherwise)

The Witcher 2(Great combat, interesting premise, but a little bit short(For an RPG) and lacking a truly great story hook)

Oblivion(The story sucks and the combat lacks impact, but everything else is suburb)

Fallout 3 or New Vegas(Oblivion, set in the post apocalypse with better combat and writing. Play it again if you have already)

Mass Effect 1 & 2(One of, if not the most, thought provoking, philosophically charged games released to date. Also with some of the most striking characters)

Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2(The first one is an exceptionally well structured RPG with actual role playing. The second one lacks a proper conclusion, but is just so goddamn fascinating with it's nuanced characters and intelligent and subversive themes, that you owe it to yourself to play it anyway. This is one of the video game equivalents to Watchmen)

Persona 4( Never have I been so attached to in game characters, that the very prospect of a game ending made me tear up)

Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines(Multifaceted world, interesting mythology, great characters, and of course, it's beautifully written. Unfortunately, it's not nearly as fun to actually play)

Demon's Souls(It's punishing, yet you can't turn away from the mystery it holds within. It's more of a survival horror game then most survival horror games. It's horrifying, yet darkly beautiful and mesmeric in it's immersion)

You may very well have played some of these before. I recommend telling us what you've already played

quantum mechanic

Jul 8, 2009
As others have said, the Mass Effect series is one of the best in recent years. It's more on the shooter side of RPG. Dragon Age: Origins is another recent Bioware game, but it has more emphasis on character building/customization (with many different skills, specializations, and powers to choose from, as opposed to simply upgrading your gun) and tactics during battle. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is a good RPG from 2003, so if you want something that can run on a laptop with, say an integrated graphics card, that'll work. It's based on a Dungeons & Dragons-like system.

From the non-Bioware side of things, Oblivion (The Elder Scrolls 4) is pretty fun, and it does a good job of making melee combat, ranged combat, magic and stealth equally viable and fun. Fallout 3 is also pretty entertaining, if you don't mind a lot of brown scenery.

Also, I don't normally go for MMORPGs, but Guild Wars is pretty fun, and it has the benefits of no monthly subscription and being able to easily play most of the content using NPC henchmen instead of real people.

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Seriously, if you haven't already.. Get Mass Effect 1 & 2. I didn't bother with them until a week ago and I'm blown away. You really miss out otherwise.

ME2 is far superior than ME1, but ignoring ME1 means you'll miss out on a lot of references and events that took place. Better yet, you can import your first character into Mass Effect 2, and if you keep that character, import him or her into the upcoming Mass Effect 3 :p

I think you've got enough material to think about for now.

furmaster3000

Apr 5, 2009
Just to add to the pile, mark for us which you had in a post or topic update. I'm personally interested.

- Golden sun
- Boktai
- Tales of Symphonia
- Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced
- Skies of Arcadia

MalthusX

Jan 15, 2009
If you have an X Box, X Box 360, or decent PC, I recommend as last-gen BioWare title called Jade Empire. It has brnaching dialogue, a detailed leveling and powers system, and a really good story. The Kung-Fu fighting system is also a blast to play.

dillinger88

Jan 6, 2010
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is like £3.75 on steam this weekend. I've purchased it because I heard food things.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Kilroy17 said:
I'm looking for a RPG to play, it can be old or new, offline or online. What would you recommend? ALso no need to mention WOW. I've never really been big on RPGs but now I'm looking to get into them for a different gaming experience. So it is a bit broad but just recommend any sort of RPG you thought was good. I guess shooting orientated.

Platform is PC.
If you want shooting oriented i.e. FPS then there are a few choices, and only a few at that, they are:

Deus ex
System Shock 2
Bloodlines the masquerade

Now they are all old games and somewhat rough round the edges, if you do get these then be sure to get all the graphics mods and patches available, Bloodlines in particular has a massive community support and the community made patches are essential.

There are some more modern titles too but these really capture the essence of RPG. Modern RPG/shooters tend to be much less RPG and much more action. The only possible exception to this rule is the new fallout games... though even they are watered down somewhat in the RPG department compared to the older games.

MalthusX said:
If you have an X Box, X Box 360, or decent PC, I recommend as last-gen BioWare title called Jade Empire. It has brnaching dialogue, a detailed leveling and powers system, and a really good story. The Kung-Fu fighting system is also a blast to play.
Sorry I have to disagree, the only good thing about jade empire was the voice acting, and the main good thing about that was the quantity of it. The story was insipid and the combat was little more than simple hack 'n slash button mashing. Plus there was no inventory if I remember rightly and you couldn't change your equipment or clothes/armour... Not much RPG in there really.

Rzepik

Feb 25, 2010
The Best:
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate 2
(start with story-oriented Torment so you can get used to AD&D)
Deus Ex

Worth checking out:
The Witcher 1 & 2
Baldur's Gate
Icewind Dale II
vampire masquerade bloodlines (unofficial patch!)
Arcanum (unofficial patch!)
Gothic trilogy (install Gothic 3 huuuge unofficial patch, avoid expansion)

Notable RPG-ish games:
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Dark Messiah of M&M (story is so lame it's entertaining, but the gameplay is pure fun. Underrated game.)

Avoid:
Dragon Age II (waste of time)
Neverwinter's Nights (single player campaign is horrible)

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
Hristo Petrov said:
Septtera Core
Planescape Torment
Picked these two up from a 'Deals' store with a double pack of Fallout for a total of $2.14.

Best. Buy. Ever.

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
DeltaWolfson said:
YogSothoth said:
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion....ive had it for four years and i still play it
That is like the worlds most re-playable game on the planet.
You really think so? Wow..

I got fed up during my first run. I could only stand that much genericness and bland dungeons/caves/portals. A second time I tried to spice it up with some mods, but the generic shitholes put me off again.. Not to mention the same quests again (and the voices. The voicesssss).

Mount and Blade though. That's RPG-y with a whole load of action and replayability. Add a ton of available mods and presto!

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
Though not a traditional RPG, Marvel Ultimate Alliance (the first one, the second one took a lot of the RPG elements out) is sweet and one of my favortie games. It actually got me into comic books.