A Jailbroken System - We Need DRM Exemptions for Abandoned Games

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
thewatergamer said:
DRM could go die for all I care but I'm not naive enough to believe that the industry is going to abandon it, but the least publishers could do is remove DRM for you know...GAMES UNPLAYABLE? Remember DarkSpore? A mediocre game but that game is unplayable too my knowledge due to the DRM being abandoned...
I've got DarkSpore and it is still playable. I just booted it up to play about 2 minutes ago after I read your comment. I believe EA did something to fix the problem because people complained when it was announced that Darkspore wasn't going to continue to work.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125526-Darkspore-Gone-Forever-Due-to-Abandoned-DRM-UPDATED

Link to an Escapist article documenting the "death" and "rebirth" of Darkspore.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
thewatergamer said:
DRM could go die for all I care but I'm not naive enough to believe that the industry is going to abandon it, but the least publishers could do is remove DRM for you know...GAMES UNPLAYABLE? Remember DarkSpore? A mediocre game but that game is unplayable too my knowledge due to the DRM being abandoned...
I've got DarkSpore and it is still playable. I just booted it up to play about 2 minutes ago after I read your comment. I believe EA did something to fix the problem because people complained when it was announced that Darkspore wasn't going to continue to work.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125526-Darkspore-Gone-Forever-Due-to-Abandoned-DRM-UPDATED

Link to an Escapist article documenting the "death" and "rebirth" of Darkspore.
Huh well the more you know I guess, with that said though DarkSpore is certainly not the only game I can think of, tons of decent games are outright unobtainable because they can't be sold anywhere, and even if you get a copy it's unplayable because of abandoned DRM, situations like DarkSpore will continue to happen and the company won't always fix things for people, if the company can get away with it, they won't bother removing the DRM, dark souls on PC is another prime example, that game was unplayable for me because of GFWL, the only reason I managed to get it working is because eventually From patched out GFWL when that service was shut down (thank god) if anything DRM is only going to make things worse now that it's becoming more and more intrusive, so even though DarkSpore was fixed, replace it with any game that has abandoned DRM that didn't get the same treatment and my point still stands

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
The problem is that the EULA usually explicitly states that you don't actually own the games you purchase, just a license to use them. Technically, circumventing their DRM goes against that. It's beyond idiotic, but it's hard to avoid.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
And since you have offered exactly "jack and squat" to prove that, I'm just going to shrug my shoulders and say "No, it plainly doesn't EFFECT them enough to matter."
It actually is "affect" in this case. A company "effects" DRM, DRM "affects" the playability of a game.