A Linkin Park fan and A Beatles fan

oni565

Jan 9, 2009
So the situation is this. I'm in school with a friend and we start talking about music. I am a fan of The Beatles and he likes Linkin Park. I said I personally don't like Linkin Park because It's a bit to dark for my liking. When I talk about The Beatles He goes on and on about them having no good songs and bad sound etc etc etc.

My point is he gave me no good reason for not liking The Beatles, he gave me reasons but no examples as to a bad song or anything with bad sound. I gave him song titles of Linkin park I didn't like but he just rambled on about nothing. I put on some Beatles music but I got the same response, he thinks it's crap but doesn't give examples as to why. No matter what I say I just can't get him to agree that The Beatles aren't as bad as he says they are. I'm not trying to convert him into a Beatles fan I just want him to either give examples as to why he doesn't like them or say their not that bad.

Have you ever met someone like this? and how do you deal with them?

EDIT: If anyone is wondering what songs I played: I am the walrus, Strawberry fields forever, Drive my car, Helter Skelter, Twist and shout, Yellow submarine, When I'm sixty four.

Leonax

Sep 4, 2008
Anyone who says the Beatles has no good songs is absolutely fucking retarded.

Also, on how do deal with it: ignore it. You won't change his mind, don't bother, just avoid the conversation. If he persists, start insulting his taste in music. Try telling him that Linkin Park is emo or something, I don't know. He'll get really defensive and give reasons as to why they're musical revolutionaries, and get progressively more aggressive the less you appear to care.

Works brilliantly, every time.

Beetlejooce

Dec 26, 2008
I think this guy is like me. I don't really like the Beatles, but there's not really a reason why. It just doesn't appeal to me and i wouldn't listen to them, but it's nothing personal against the Beatles, it's just different preferences.

Sometimes it just doesn't appeal to someone and there's no logical scientific explanation.

GunnerGraye

Dec 30, 2008
This is an example of somebody who obviously knows their shit:
Leonax said:
Thank you Leonax, I agree 100%. :)

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Well first of all, you have an arsenal of albums. He has what? 2 or 3?

Secondomundo, It is music taste. At one point in life, he will try other bands. Hit him with a HelloGoodbye at that time.

GenHellspawn

Jan 1, 2008
This may shock you, but people have different tastes in music.

"Why don't you like that band?"
"I just don't like their music"
"PROVE IT!"

Also, I don't like the Beatles either. That doesn't mean I'm retarded, it means I have different taste than you do.

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
I think its just down to personal tastes and how they change over time. Give you're mate the white album and he will probably dismiss it as rubbish. Give it to him in a year or so and he may think differently.

I know I certainly go through stages of wanting nothing but sugary catchy pop tunes. I then go off to explore some random band no-one has heard of.

Though if in your area people aren't quite sure who Iron Maiden and Kate Bush are, then its not hard.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Give up, you can't force someone to have good taste. No offense to Linkin Park, I like them, but you can't dislike the Beatles. It's weird, I'm starting to hate your friend, and I don't know exactly why...

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
GunnerGraye said:
This is an example of somebody who obviously knows their shit:
Leonax said:
Thank you Leonax, I agree 100%. :)
I 2nd this, The Beatles is the greatest band in the world for a reason!

No good songs? Every single song and cover they made was original and innovative.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I let people think what they want, it's their opinion not mine.
Sometimes it's hard to say exactly why I hate a certain song, it's just how someone feels.

GenHellspawn

Jan 1, 2008
Reaperman Wompa said:
you can't force someone to have good taste.
You do realize how ignorant that is, right? If I said that it was impossible to dislike my music, you would call me a dickhead.

samsprinkle

Jun 29, 2008
He*eye twitch* doesn't *twitch* like the *twitch* Beatles! Even though*twitch* you showed him good songs!?

I didn't used to like the Beatles...or so I thought...I just didn't know those awesome songs were by them.

fedpayne

Sep 4, 2008
The Beatles are the second best band in the world, and there's no higher compliment than that.

TheKnifeJuggler

May 18, 2008
Yes, there are ways to deal with people like this.

You simply don't try to talk to them about the particularly sensitive subject.

(The thing is, I think when you listen to the Beatles, you need to have an understanding of what they were going through at the time to fully appreciate their music. If you wish to peruse this, try to start there.)

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
fedpayne said:
The Beatles are the second best band in the world, and there's no higher compliment than that.
Now I have to ask the obvious questions:
a) What is the best band in the world?
b) How is being the second best band in the world the best compliment you can get?

I like the Beatles, but I wouldn't necessarily say they're the best band of all time. However, that's probably because my tastes in music these days lie in obscure industrial metal.

fedpayne

Sep 4, 2008
Zetona said:
fedpayne said:
Now I have to ask the obvious questions:
a) What is the best band in the world?
b) How is being the second best band in the world the best compliment you can get?

I like the Beatles, but I wouldn't necessarily say they're the best band of all time. However, that's probably because my tastes in music these days lie in obscure industrial metal.
Nevermind, it was a misquoted reference that'll fly over the heads of most of the visitors to this particular forum. Most.

Florion

Dec 7, 2008
Just change the subject if you start talking about Linkin Park and the Beatles, and avoid any karaoke functions if possible. You're obviously friends for other reasons, right?