A little computer help?

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
My friend is trying to get new ram for his computer, but has no clue when type of ram his motherboard will take.

I was hoping someone knowledgeable about the subject could help.

His motherboard is an "AMD RD790", from what he can figure out. Sadly, i have to take his word on it since he lives to far away for me to even examine it.

So, anyone have any clue about this, or does he have to take it to a comp tech?

Formula21

Mar 18, 2010
That's his chipset not the motherboard. If he doesn't know the difference between these or what ram he needs, I HIGHLY recommend he does not partake in this endeavor himself.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
kouriichi said:
His motherboard is an "AMD RD790", from what he can figure out. Sadly, i have to take his word on it since he lives to far away for me to even examine it.
That's his chipset. DDR2, likely, but don't quote me.

kouriichi said:
So, anyone have any clue about this, or does he have to take it to a comp tech?
Does he have a digital camera? Get him to take a photo of the board and post it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Really he needs the manual for it or he needs to pop one of the ram sticks out and check to see if it lists what kind of ram it uses or take a pic of it and post it here so we can see where the notch on the bottom of the stick is.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Formula21 said:
That's his chipset not the motherboard. If he doesn't know the difference between these or what ram he needs, I HIGHLY recommend he does not partake in this endeavor himself.
Ok, thanks. I was wondering why i couldnt find a single thing about it.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Formula21 said:
An excellent point. Does he know the first thing about replacing RAM? Might want to see what shops charge to install it. Where I work we install RAM in a desktop PC for free if you buy the RAM from us. We also check compatibility before you buy. I'm not saying every shop on the planet is the same, but it's a simple enough value-add that I doubt anyone would charge much for it.

Calatar

May 13, 2009
According to this post it supports up to 1066 DDR2 RAM, though it doesn't say what size.
There are memory websites which have auto-compatibility checking software such as Crucial.com which will tell you the RAM types compatible with your computer. This typically isn't your best price for the RAM though, but it may help to write down the details and buy it elsewhere.

There are other tools for discovering more computer information, but given his apparent lack of expertise, I'm not sure if I'd recommend them. But SIW (scroll down the page for the freeware version) gives you pretty much all the information about your computer that you could want.

Good luck.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Leave the PSU plugged into the wall (switched off at the wall if you can) and keep one hand on the case at all times! Sorry if that is a bit obvious to you, but it didn't seem like you or your friend are super savy when it comes to hardware. I'd be guessing DDR2 from the age of the chipset, it might be hard to find now. Don't bother spending money on anything faster than 800 for DDR2.