A Look Back At Fallout

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
A Look Back At Fallout

Fallout 3 [http://fallout.bethsoft.com] is coming tomorrow, and to whet your appetite Gametrailers.com has produced a pretty cool look back at one of gaming's most storied cult classics.

The 15-minute retrospective covers everything from the 1988 release of Bethesda's [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasteland_(computer_game)] imminent take on the post-nuclear RPG franchise. Naturally, there are spoilers, so if you haven't played the first two games yet but still intend to get around to it someday, consider yourself warned.

For everyone else, the video is an entertaining and informative overview of one of the most durable franchises in videogame history, and a great way to get into the mood for Fallout 3. The Fallout Retrospective can be downloaded or viewed at Gametrailers.com [http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42026.html].

Flangle

Mar 12, 2008
Cheers Virgil! I've been waiting for Fallout 3 for the past 2 years or so. I even went and bought the previous Fallout games for my last birthday just so i could fully experiance the full franchise.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
Great! I sadly haven't played the other Fallouts, but it's a great to motivate myself, by watching the video...and naturally prepare for Fallout 3. :)

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Thanks Virgil.

GT seem to be producing some top-notch video original video material at the moment. Kudos to them.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Tactics isn't Canon??? What the Hell, that game had a really good story. The Brotherhood had to compromise their xenophobic politics and eventually got consumed by outsiders because they adopted so many new cultures. When the super computer finally took over it was brilliant because it was your own character dethroning the Brotherhood leader.

Plus the last level was one of gamings most brilliant exercises in 'Go F*** Yourself' difficulty.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
L.B. Jeffries post=7.75181.859813 said:
Tactics isn't Canon??? What the Hell, that game had a really good story. The Brotherhood had to compromise their xenophobic politics and eventually got consumed by outsiders because they adopted so many new cultures. When the super computer finally took over it was brilliant because it was your own character dethroning the Brotherhood leader.

Plus the last level was one of gamings most brilliant exercises in 'Go F*** Yourself' difficulty.
Well, first off there was never a Vault 0, and I think that there just weren't enough people who played Fallout Tactics to consider it canon. Hell, I never played it much. It came with my three-in-one Fallout disc, but I just couldn't get into it.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Elurindel post=7.75181.862246 said:

Well, first off there was never a Vault 0, and I think that there just weren't enough people who played Fallout Tactics to consider it canon. Hell, I never played it much. It came with my three-in-one Fallout disc, but I just couldn't get into it.
Y'know, we are talking about a fictional universe with fictional characters where you can just make stuff up when you need to.

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
Elurindel said:

Fan bases can decide canon? Someone tell Star Wars fans, stat! We need to retcon those prequels out of existence.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
Saskwach post=7.75181.863059 said:
Elurindel said:

Fan bases can decide canon? Someone tell Star Wars fans, stat! We need to retcon those prequels out of existence.
I'm pretty sure no decent star wars fan counts the prequels as canon anyway :p
But yeah, the reason it's non-canon is because it goes against previously-established canon. As I recall, the Brotherhood of steel had decent training and most of the good technology, but were crippled by a council of elders who "can't even figure if they want to piss, let alone which pot to piss in". Which is why they needed the Vault Dweller to go and do stuff for them.