A Look Back at Sony's Bizarre PS3 Advertising

PartyMonkey

Jun 26, 2009
It says it "does everything"...Yeah I would agree.

Buuuuuut, does it cook me cinnamon Rolls?

No it does not!

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Zac_Dai said:
Lord_Panzer said:
Ghost8585 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
A Look Back at a dead horse we like to beat until there are just blood splatters
Fixed.
Point being?
His point being its obviously a slow day for the Escapist news team who are having to scrape the barrel for PS3 bashing.
I concur with Susan, chillax dudes, it's all good. I, the #1 Ps3/Sony fanboy of this site, command you to take a chill pill and admit that most of Sony's ads are completely fucked up.

Damnit Marketing department! Why must you give us hellz?!?

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Zac_Dai said:
Lord_Panzer said:
Ghost8585 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
A Look Back at a dead horse we like to beat until there are just blood splatters
Fixed.
Point being?
His point being its obviously a slow day for the Escapist news team who are having to scrape the barrel for PS3 bashing.
Oh, chill the hell out. I don't care what product these ads are trying to sell, they're beyond bizarre. Also, the post starts out with John applauding Sony's newest commercials.

Stop seeing things that aren't there.
It still reeks of make-work, forced trend-spotting, and manufactured "newsiness". Sorry, but it does.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
the more I look at that first "it only does everything" TV ad, the more it reminds me of Sony's situation before they acutally confirmed the price drop :p

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
SaintWaldo said:
Susan Arendt said:
Zac_Dai said:
Lord_Panzer said:
Ghost8585 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Fixed.
Point being?
Oh, chill the hell out. I don't care what product these ads are trying to sell, they're beyond bizarre. Also, the post starts out with John applauding Sony's newest commercials.

Stop seeing things that aren't there.
It still reeks of make-work, forced trend-spotting, and manufactured "newsiness". Sorry, but it does.
We were talking about the history of PS3's marketing campaign after the new ones came out, and decided that hey, if we're talking about it, why not extend the conversation? "Forced trend-spotting?" Hardly.

dthree

Hey!
Jun 13, 2008
As mentioned above, advertisers have to be different to stand out from the crowd. Sometimes that means TOO different, but even if you hate the ads, you are still talking about them. Did you go into work/school the first day the PS3 octopus ad came out and find everyone talking about it? I doubt it, but I'm sure the penis thumb ad was the topic of the week. Try googling "ps3 baby ad" and you'll find 34 million hits. Mission accomplished.

Even though I think the Lair and Eggs ads are effective at selling the sixaxis feature, most of the time people DON'T want to be sold something. Ads with direct sales pitches are usually viewed as old-fashioned or cheesy, like used car dealer ads. Even the first ad in the story makes fun of them in a way. Products are sold by emotion, not by information, because people buy with their emotions.

But I do hate the baby and thumb ads.

Da_Schwartz

Jul 15, 2008
Wow..i remember some of these looking back...wtf is with sony lol. Bizzare alien hybrid scottish girl is by far the most uncomfortable for me.