A Machine For Pigs: More Horror Through Better Visuals

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
poodlenoodles said:
Therumancer said:
I'm just saying, when I feel my character suffers from severe mental retardation in addition to Amnesia, it breaks my immersion.
imagine you're so scared you're going insane, and now picture how clearly you'd be thinking. it's not character in the game that's breaking immersion, it's you! you're playing the game from a detached perspective instead of pretending you're actually there.
Not so much because Amnesia does involve puzzles that require a degree of logic and focus, which wouldn't be possible if you project that much dysfunction onto the character. Basically if my reasoning can be applied to those parts of the game, then they would also be applicable to other aspects of the game.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
It's based on the industrial-revolution-era meat packing industry. They would have to be complete idiots to fail at making it scary.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Interesting.

From what I understood about the appeal of the first Amnesia, a lot of the horror came about in what you couldn't see. While I didn't find the game all too frightening myself, I did think that it was impressive how they managed to have a monster that you most likely never got a good look at.

For a horror game, that's something they did right.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Tamrin said:
I think whether thechineseroom can pull this off isn't something that can simply be answered with a yes or no. In the end the results will have to speak for themselves.
Absolutely true, although I think that's the case with any studio. What makes tcr an ideal candidate is that Dear Esther was in many ways very, very similar to Amnesia, but directed toward a different purpose. Sound, visuals, a slow-burning story and a masterful use of what isn't there to manipulate players are common elements in both games that were used to achieve different (although also similar, in some ways) reactions.

I say all this as a big fan of Dear Esther but if anyone beside Frictional is going to do the job, I'm glad it's them and I'm really looking forward to what they can do with it.

poodlenoodles

Nov 17, 2011
Therumancer said:
poodlenoodles said:
Therumancer said:
I'm just saying, when I feel my character suffers from severe mental retardation in addition to Amnesia, it breaks my immersion.
imagine you're so scared you're going insane, and now picture how clearly you'd be thinking. it's not character in the game that's breaking immersion, it's you! you're playing the game from a detached perspective instead of pretending you're actually there.
Not so much because Amnesia does involve puzzles that require a degree of logic and focus, which wouldn't be possible if you project that much dysfunction onto the character. Basically if my reasoning can be applied to those parts of the game, then they would also be applicable to other aspects of the game.
i haven't played so you might be right. i played part of penumbra and lost interest when i got some other games, so i don't really know much about the games.

Ectoplasmicz

Nov 23, 2011
I. Cannot. WAIT!

I don't think the fact frictional isn't completely in charge of the game is going to hurt it too much. They are still there, still watching over the whole thing. And if it is scarier than the last, sleep takes a back seat for a while.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
You know who we need to make the sequel to our much beloved horror game? The people who made the world's most pretentious hiking/suicide simulator. That's an awesome idea.

Edit: also, this:

JoesshittyOs said:
From what I understood about the appeal of the first Amnesia, a lot of the horror came about in what you couldn't see.