A Major Marvel Hero Will Die In Civil War II

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Blugh.

Marvel, I don't know if you know this, but I don't want to see heroes fight heroes. I want to see heroes apprehend villains. Stop it! Have them team up to fight...I don't know, the Dire Wraiths or something. Let heroes be heroes!

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Odbarc said:
I think Iron Man will die. It'll keep Robert Downy Jr. out of the movies so they can pay him less. The Iron-man can still run around as controlled by AI programming so they won't really be losing an iconic super hero. Just his alias. War Machine may get a repaint to take over the role. His resurrection will come in the form of a Tony Stark AI and eventually be given a 'practically like real' robot body.
I do agree that Iron man is on the chopping block but not for the same reason. Consider all the A-list heroes in Marvel today. With the sole exception of Iron Man, they've either been modified, replaced, or just plain put on a bus as sacrifices to the "diversity" altar. All but Iron Man is protected from being killed so Marvel won't be accused of sexism, racism, etc. The only other possibility is Thor (the original one, not Jane Foster) being killed off so the team at Marvel won't have to fish for excuses why they won't bring him back when the cancer that Foster has is supposed to kill her off (which should have happened already considering it was supposed to be drastically accelerated and she was already at death's door to begin with.)

Elijin said:
WolvDragon said:
Uh Hold up a second, now I'm not into comics, I never read them, but I did read into Civil War, and after reading article post, I find it freaking hilarious

Captain America was on the anti registrationn side, meaning he was for pro privacy, and Iron Man was on the pro registration side, so he had no problem spilling the beans on your identity. Now they're going for a complete switcheroo here that shows how hypocritical they are. Comic buffs will instantly know this, but it needs to be pointed how stupid it is for their motives. Plus they killed off Captain America in the first Civil War, and brought him back, so obviously they're doing the samething. Way to go Marvel, you truly ran out of ideas

Besides they'll bring them back later on anyway.
Not sure its really hypocritical....in round 1 he was advocating registering weapons at the cost of personal privacy. Round two he's against punishing people for actions they havent actually done. Its only hypocritical if you treat it as 'He agreed with the government once so he has to agree with the government every time!' Which completely robs the civil war arcs of their motivator: Individuals backing their morals, even when it means hard choices and fighting friends.
There's also the fact that Tony DIDN'T advocate it. He even staged an assassination attempt on himself at the congressional hearing for it to try to prevent it from passing (as well at get Spiderman on his side). But Tony was looking for legal means to shut down the law instead of saying "screw you" like the antis did. Then the trenches were formed, congress got stupid by using villains and all hell broke loose.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Seriously??? They bring back that garbage again and I'm suprised I kinda forgot about it I think? I mean I did know they were reusing the titles for present comic arcs like the Battleworld thing but one of them was Civil War?

Also what was the cause of this second Civil War this time round. Some minor villain blew himself up? Beside for some of the smart characters, I thought they know well enough to not repeat it given to how much crap made against them.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
I don't get the impression just from this story that the death in question is supposed to be anything more then a contributing catalyst for this one particular series, and you know what? That's fine, that's good even.

We all know everything goes back to zero at some point or another but that doesn't mean you can't still use death as a way to motivate others or explore ideas. Basically it goes like this, what makes Death and Return of Superman dumb was when they pretended like he wasn't going to come back because of course he was. What makes it potentially interesting however is the idea of forcing people to face a world without Superman, to explore the idea that maybe the invulnerable man isn't, to ask if maybe putting so much hope in one person who might not be able to be there all the time isn't such a good idea? That's good stuff, and you can do all that in the context of /one story/, and then fuck off to whatever the next /one story/ is.

I like the pitch here. Even if the execution was muddled in the first War, the idea that there isn't just One and Only One way to save the world is still just as fascinating as it was all the way back when Rorschach first started being a dick to people. I like the Minority Report argument as an exercise, and honestly I'm surprised it's taken them this long to get there. I like the rebalanced teams, it offers up some interesting complexity in the idea that, yes, Stark can be pro-registration and against arresting people for things that haven't happened yet. Those aren't mutually exclusive. I like that it gives Danvers a chance to step into the spotlight a bit more and explore her morality on the same playing field.

I like these kind of stories because, at least as an idea, they feel more honest somehow. These are the kind of debates that would occur between these people and these are the kind of issues a world like this would face. Ignoring those possibilities just so "Hero fights Villain and saves the day" again feels a bit disengenous, and I like "Hero fights Villain and saves the day"!

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Marvel is killing a major character, you say?

*starts setting Back-from-the-dead Stopwatch*

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Sure, just like Thor, and Captain America, and Iron Man. Only Bucky stays dead.

Oh, wait, even THAT'S not true anymore.

Y'know, I really liked that scene early in Morrisson's JLA where they're burying Metamorpho, and almost no one shows up because they figure he'll be coming back soon anyway.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
McMarbles said:
Sure, just like Thor, and Captain America, and Iron Man. Only Bucky stays dead.

Oh, wait, even THAT'S not true anymore.
Shit, even uncle Ben has had scenes from the afterlife and made appearances as a spirit, so even if they stay dead they still get used to push story lines along. Even Bucky was just a sidekick, basically, if they kill anyone of the head liners, expect them to stay dead for a year or less. If they kill a C or D-lister they might stay dead for a few years. The only exception is if it's a title instead of a single hero like with the green lanterns, then they might keep a big name dead for more than a couple years, they'll still likely be back in time for the next big event though.

I mean, I get it, there's still suspense in reading how they die and where they take the story lines, but you would think the superheroes themselves would realize that death is basically a revolving door for them, why would they take a prediction like this seriously when marvel heroes should realize that there's about 6000 ways to bring someone back from the dead in their universe.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Only 1? It's a big event comic, half the main cast should be killed off if you want to do it properly. That way you can do another big event comic to bring them back. Duh, do you even Comic Book Marvel?

Just look at DC, they've not only killed their entire cast before, they've killed they're entire cast and universes of that cast multiple times in the same comic.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Odbarc said:
I think Iron Man will die. It'll keep Robert Downy Jr. out of the movies so they can pay him less. The Iron-man can still run around as controlled by AI programming so they won't really be losing an iconic super hero. Just his alias. War Machine may get a repaint to take over the role. His resurrection will come in the form of a Tony Stark AI and eventually be given a 'practically like real' robot body.

If they're going to do a Civil War 2, they should have one of all villains to see who gets to rule Earth. Doomsday vs Mageneto.
The Great JT said:
Blugh.

Marvel, I don't know if you know this, but I don't want to see heroes fight heroes. I want to see heroes apprehend villains. Stop it! Have them team up to fight...I don't know, the Dire Wraiths or something. Let heroes be heroes!
I would happily give Marvel (even more of)my money to see villains fight each other about who will rule/destroy the world. It still boggles my mind how the Red Skull got a bunch of villains to work for him in that AXIS event. All those enormous egos in one place is a powder keg; I thought we learned that lesson from Norman Osborne and his Cabal.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Civil War 2? Secret Wars? Again? Wow! They can't even show any originality in what they name this drek anymore, nevermind the retread marketing fluff that they try and pass off as stories.