A New Community Manager and a New Code of Conduct

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
PoolCleaningRobot said:
It's good to see clarification of the rules in nice plain language and I appreciate that it pops up before you post. Good luck at your new position!

reiniat said:
Alpha Maeko said:
Hurry, someone start trolling this thread!
How about an anti-trolling clause for the site itself? im tired of clicking around the Escapist and being bombarded with pop-ups, and some of them EVEN CLOSE THE ESCAPIST and redirect me somewhere else, also many adds have annoying sounds that loop over and over.
It would be nice if someone could fix that, where should i make a ticket, or what can i do?
That was more or less off topic.
I don't block ads on the escapist and I don't get that problem. Does it happen other places? Your computer could have been hijacked by malware. It happened to me a while ago and I was even getting pop ups on Steam
This seems as good a place as any, so people will see this: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contact/subject/tech

That's where you report bad ads. That's also where you can contact the community manager / site staff in other ways! What joy!

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
PoolCleaningRobot said:
V da Mighty Taco said:
I'm not going to lie, I really despise the new rules on necrosis.
Really? I was actually surprised by the fact that you can request a thread be reopened by the moderators rather than "no threads older than 30 days" like it was before
I must have misread the original rules then, because I definitely did not notice any hard rule against necroing threads when I last went over the CoC and I'm the type of person to actually read through things like that. From my understanding through previous chats with mods over the matter as well as read-throughs of said CoC, necroing was discouraged but never full-on forbidden.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
JonB said:
bdcjacko said:
Congrats on the new position.

Also when you say Janelle has a new role, does that mean a new role with The Escapist/War Cry or has she left the site?
She still here.
Follow up question, how does river boat captain (retired) transition into community manager? I am also a recently retired river boat captain trying to break into the community manager industry.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
V da Mighty Taco said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
V da Mighty Taco said:
Really? I was actually surprised by the fact that you can request a thread be reopened by the moderators rather than "no threads older than 30 days" like it was before
I must have misread the original rules then, because I definitely did not notice any hard rule against necroing threads when I last went over the CoC and I'm the type of person to actually read through things like that. From my understanding through previous chats with mods over the matter as well as read-throughs of said CoC, necroing was discouraged but never full-on forbidden.
Maybe I'm wrong then because I thought it was simply never ok to necro a thread. Regardless, if an old thread does have good content in it, then the mods can reopen it. Sounds simpler than just guessing whether or not a thread can be reopened

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
EDIT: Redacted in the name of a kinder, gentler message board experience. Nothing to see here folks.

Best of luck to Mr. Dievendorf.

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
bdcjacko said:
JonB said:
bdcjacko said:

Also when you say Janelle has a new role, does that mean a new role with The Escapist/War Cry or has she left the site?
She still here.
Follow up question, how does river boat captain (retired) transition into community manager? I am also a recently retired river boat captain trying to break into the community manager industry.
The trick is to take what you've learned from River Boat Captaining and apply it to the community, it's actually quite an organic transition.

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
MinionJoe said:
The "8 Games from EA That Don't Suck" link takes you to an IMS Login page over at http://ims.themis-media.com/module/96/ims_articles/view?id=10854. FYI. :)
Thank you for the heads up, it has been resolved.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
DrStrangelove said:
bdcjacko said:
JonB said:
bdcjacko said:

She still here.
The trick is to take what you've learned from River Boat Captaining and apply it to the community, it's actually quite an organic transition.
Ah, so I should keep drinking heavy and make Internet forums scrub the deck while singing in unison?

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
bdcjacko said:
DrStrangelove said:
Ah, so I should keep drinking heavy and make Internet forums scrub the deck while singing in unison?
...and continue the floggings until morale improves.

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
bdcjacko said:
DrStrangelove said:
bdcjacko said:
JonB said:
bdcjacko said:

She still here.
Most definitely keep drinking, that'll fix all of your problems. The internet forums are great for singing in unison.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Hello!

Just so you now, Janelle and Jon used to let us eat sweets and let us go to bed whenever we wanted and delivered a kitten to our door.

Hope you can match up :D

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Mortuorum said:
bdcjacko said:
DrStrangelove said:
...and continue the floggings until morale improves.
Ah yes, the cat-o-nine tails, the greatest improvement in moderator/poster relations since the ban hammer.

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
EeveeElectro said:
Hello!

Just so you now, Janelle and Jon used to let us eat sweets and let us go to bed whenever we wanted and delivered a kitten to our door.

Hope you can match up :D
You can order pizza but no sweets before bed otherwise you aren't ever going to get to sleep.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
reiniat said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
I don't block ads on the escapist and I don't get that problem. Does it happen other places? Your computer could have been hijacked by malware. It happened to me a while ago and I was even getting pop ups on Steam
Thats the first thing i checked and no; everything is fine but this page, so im inclined to think it is fault of THIS page.
Anyway, im gonna download a something something software and that shalt fix the problem.
You might want to edit that because the new rules state we can't talk about those here. I got a reply from a mod about it and you file a report about bad ads here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contact/subject/tech

I doubt the administrators want bad ads on the site either

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
PoolCleaningRobot said:
V da Mighty Taco said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
V da Mighty Taco said:
Maybe I'm wrong then because I thought it was simply never ok to necro a thread. Regardless, if an old thread does have good content in it, then the mods can reopen it. Sounds simpler than just guessing whether or not a thread can be reopened
That directly leads to several of my issues though.

First off, needing to bother the already-busy mods (as far as I'm aware anyways >:p ) just so someone can make a quick post in an age old thread seems like a waste of mod efforts to me, as well as making it unnecessarily tedious just to add to a conversation.

There's also the fact that the comments section to any Escapist video or article would also apply to these rules (at least, the rules do not imply any leniency towards them), meaning that any potential new community member who catches an old ZP or something like that and signs up just to make a comment on said video will likely be discouraged by receiving (albeit light) mod wrath, and that's not even getting into those who simply like rewatching old videos of their favorite Escapist personalities.

Lastly (for now - I could go on, but laziness and a desire to be brief win out here), there's the issue of people constantly making new threads over age-old topics that often end up going down the exact same paths as those before it. Just look at the Great Mass Effect Debate and how often new threads about it wind up with most members either repeating what they've said before on the subject, saying something along the lines of "this thread again?", or even both. It also encourages making new threads over using the search bar, since the results are likely to bring up old threads and gives people even more reason to be too lazy to search. Keeping things constrained to only a handful of threads on a given topic, as opposed to new threads on old matters re-emerging every month or two (sometimes far more often than that), seems far more rational and community-friendly than encouraging storms of hyper-repetitive threads.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
V da Mighty Taco said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
That directly leads to several of my issues though.

First off, needing to bother the already-busy mods (as far as I'm aware anyways >:p ) just so someone can make a quick post in an age old thread seems like a waste of mod efforts to me, as well as making it unnecessarily tedious just to add to a conversation.
Given the wording "reopening a thread", I thought the idea was to continue an old discussion with valuable posts rather than make a whole new thread for the topic you want to discuss. There isn't a whole lot of point in just adding a quick comment, all the site rules are centered around creating a discussion. And hey, its their job. Its not like glancing at thread/PM and posting "This thread reopened" takes very long

There's also the fact that the comments section to any Escapist video or article would also apply to these rules (at least, the rules do not imply any leniency towards them), meaning that any potential new community member who catches an old ZP or something like that and signs up just to make a comment on said video will likely be discouraged by receiving (albeit light) mod wrath, and that's not even getting into those who simply like rewatching old videos of their favorite Escapist personalities.
That's totally true. I only gave thought to discussion threads started by members rather than comment sections

Lastly (for now - I could go on, but laziness and a desire to be brief win out here), there's the issue of people constantly making new threads over age-old topics that often end up going down the exact same paths as those before it.
Then whats the point in necroing a thread at all? If its all been said before then people should just lurk through old posts. I don't think letting people open old threads would change that. If people are mulling something over in their mind like the ME3 controversy they're going to start a thread about it anyway. I doubt many people want post in threads that are longer than 3 or 4 pages anyway. I read a sociology paper that stated many threads are simply carried by a few people who posted first so at some point your posts simply get lost in someone else's conversation. When it comes to shit storms, most are over in a month anyway so you can feel free to post in any thread even if its a few weeks old

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Given the wording "reopening a thread", I thought the idea was to continue an old discussion with valuable posts rather than make a whole new thread for the topic you want to discuss. There isn't a whole lot of point in just adding a quick comment, all the site rules are centered around creating a discussion. And hey, its their job. Its not like glancing at thread/PM and posting "This thread reopened" takes very long
A post can add to the discussion and be quick, ya know! :p

(By quick, I'm referring to two or three sentence posts rather than stuff that'd normally be classified as low-content anyways)

Anyways, I'm one of those guys that doesn't like involving mods if it can be reasonably avoided and considers bothering them over something as minor as this to be a waste of their time / efforts. When mods have much bigger issues like keeping close eyes on highly-controversial threads or removing bot posts with hidden links in them, having to get them to take time out of their day just to let someone post in an old thread (which would probably involve hearing the poster out and evaluating the legitimacy of their claim) comes across as frivolous to me. As I've said before, I don't see how necroing threads inherently harms discussion in any way, hence why I view bothering mods over it as pointless.

Lastly (for now - I could go on, but laziness and a desire to be brief win out here), there's the issue of people constantly making new threads over age-old topics that often end up going down the exact same paths as those before it.
Then whats the point in necroing a thread at all? If its all been said before then people should just lurk through old posts. I don't think letting people open old threads would change that. If people are mulling something over in their mind like the ME3 controversy they're going to start a thread about it anyway. I doubt many people want post in threads that are longer than 3 or 4 pages anyway. I read a sociology paper that stated many threads are simply carried by a few people who posted first so at some point your posts simply get lost in someone else's conversation. When it comes to shit storms, most are over in a month anyway so you can feel free to post in any thread even if its a few weeks old
Look at it this way: Would it be better to have people repeating the same thing over and over again in forty different threads, or just two? Personally, I'd much rather have the latter as it'd at least contain the conversation better and discourages people from flooding the forums with countless renditions of the same topic, plus it gives people reason to check and see if someone has already said the same thing that they were going to say (possibly in a better way than they themselves could have).

As for the shit-storms, it is true that most end up over within a month. However, the Escapist (and probably other forums as well) has this cyclic tendency where certain topics come back every so often in droves and new threads on said topics flood the boards like crazy. Encouraging people to go back to previous threads that already discussed that exact topic would hopefully cause people to look at the massive size of a thread and ask themselves if they could actually add something new to the discussion, hopefully ending the cycle or at least encouraging the conversation to go somewhere other than in circles.

Kilt'd

Feb 19, 2013
Is there a way to formally complain about an ad on the Escapist? I'm seeing these obnoxious booking.com ads that play a video with audio automatically when the page loads. Trying to click the mute button opens a separate, seemingly unrelated pop-up. That's kind of seedy.

While the ads would usually be annoying anyway, they also play when I'm trying to watch Escapist video content and the audio overlays and interferes with that.

Automatic audio and links hidden as skip or mute buttons are some of the dodgier ad practices, and it doesn't seem to belong on a site like the Escapist which generally has a very high standard of quality.