A new Hellboy movie trailer. This time David Harbour replaces Ron Perlmen.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuV92mmp1cU

Everything looks ok, but I don't know, I am not feeling this actor playing Hellboy.

I mean he's not as cool as even the Injustice 2 one let alone the Ron Pearlmen one.

And yeah I just think having Hellboy in a costume/makeup looks very gaudy and dumb.

I feel this is a case where I actually prefer a CGI/Mo-capped Hellboy like Davy Jones/Thanos.

Apr 17, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
This is a case where I actually prefer a CGI/Mo-capped Hellboy like Davy Jones/Thanos.
Ooh, I dunno, did you see that CGI bat demon thing? I'm thinking keeping things practical might be for the best.

And since we seem to get a shot of Baba Yaga's hut for a second there I'm really hoping Pretty Evil Lady isn't supposed to be her

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Palindromemordnilap said:
Samtemdo8 said:
This is a case where I actually prefer a CGI/Mo-capped Hellboy like Davy Jones/Thanos.
Ooh, I dunno, did you see that CGI bat demon thing? I'm thinking keeping things practical might be for the best.

And since we seem to get a shot of Baba Yaga's hut for a second there I'm really hoping Pretty Evil Lady isn't supposed to be her
But also consider that the actor has do action/fight scenes in all that make-up.

Then again these actions scenes tend to evolve (or devolve) into CGI animated fight scenes with the actor replaced with a CGI double.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
bluegate said:
I liked the hair better on the Perlman version.
Yeh. Perlman has a cooler voice too. This guy kind of sounds like a goober everytime he speaks up.

Hellboy 2 also had better monster designs. Cuz you know, Del Toro.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Chimpzy said:
bluegate said:
Yeh. Perlman has a cooler voice too. This guy kind of sounds like a goober everytime he speaks up.

I think Del Toro is overrated. All this guy does is Lovecraft fanfiction.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
What does that have to do with the fact that new Hellboy looks inferior to Del Toro's version?

I'm forever pissed that we'll never get the third movie.

Apr 17, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Chimpzy said:
bluegate said:

...what exactly do you think the works of Lovecraft entail? Because I'm not entirely sure how you're getting that from del Toro's filmography. I can only think of two of his films that even sort of come close to something Lovecraftian (Pacific Rim and Shape of Water) and those have much clearer inspirations than Lovecraft (Japanese monster movies and the Creature from the Black Lagoon respectively). The dude mostly loves fairy tales and vampires

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I don't like the actor, but more importantly I don't like the tone of the trailer. It's like, one notch away from a 90s Jim Carrey movie.

Oct 22, 2011
Heeeyyy Mr. Wednesday is there. I didn't know.

Samtemdo8 said:
I feel this is a case where I actually prefer a CGI/Mo-capped Hellboy like Davy Jones/Thanos.
Nah, all the monsters seem to be cg this time, i'm liking that they atleast are leaving Red physical.
Samtemdo8 said:
But also consider that the actor has do action/fight scenes in all that make-up.
So had Perlman. And he was 10 years older than Harbour, when filming first Hellboy.

Oct 22, 2011
Chimpzy said:
bluegate said:

Same. Liked the street samurai style.
And yeah, i'm gonna miss Perlman's voice, but still willing to give Harbour a chance. He atleast looks the part.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The hair, the face, the voice, it all feels off. Everything else looks more or less fine, but then hellboy looks like the netflix adaptation of hellboy next to the Ron Perlman version.

It might get better though, I assume the effects aren't quite done yet.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I have my issues with Del Toro, but you can't deny his Hellboy knew how to bring the visuals -- This movie looks incredibly flat. If you're gonna follow up Del Toro, the least you can do is make sure your cinematography is up to snuff.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Wasn't this movie supposed to be closer to the comics in terms of scary and dark tone? This doesn't look much different from the Del Toro movies.

Sep 24, 2008
Like... Ok, let's get the point of the thread. The music was ranked as 9 of 25 overused Sports Anthems [https://bleacherreport.com/articles/706252-most-overplayed-songs-in-sports#slide17]. The "Oh Shit, DC Movie line was bust by the serious tone, so we need to be sooooo irreverent" tone is palpable.

The problem is I was exposed to Hellboy via Ron Perlman's depiction of him before I knew there was a comic. So for people like me (which probably makes a good part of people who consider themselves to like Hellboy since a lot of people never even heard of Dark Horse Publishers [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Horse_Comics]), trying to unwrap their idea of Perlman from Hellboy is an uneasy task. But probably one worth taking for geeks at some point.

But for most comic book movie goers... yeah, most people know only what the movies say. How many people know Wolverine is supposed to be Short? How many people know Thor Ragnarok was actually "Planet Hulk" with a few characters taken out? How many people watched Civil War and didn't realize... like none of it is right?

Anyway, I got off to a tangent. My real point is this.

I fucking hate trailers now.

Why must every trailer give away the big reveal? EVERY TRAILER DOES THIS. Is it supposed to be cute? Do they think it marks up the value to have people say at the end of the movie "Oh... so THAT'S the part I saw in the trailer! Huh. I basically got all the good parts watching that trailer months ago".

I personally love trailers that give alternative side stories or explanations that doesn't have to do with the movie proper. Those are very rare now.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
ObsidianJones said:
I fucking hate trailers now.

Why must every trailer give away the big reveal? EVERY TRAILER DOES THIS. Is it supposed to be cute? Do they think it marks up the value to have people say at the end of the movie "Oh... so THAT'S the part I saw in the trailer! Huh. I basically got all the good parts watching that trailer months ago".

I personally love trailers that give alternative side stories or explanations that doesn't have to do with the movie proper. Those are very rare now.
If you think trailers are bad now at spoiling shit then you would have hated watching trailers in the 1970s because they show off the whole movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne6KMHLTvik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gqit3zVmyc