A new type of hero.

Drakoorr

Nov 20, 2009
Nico III said:
Probably wouldn't be much fun to play, but a silver-tongued deceiver would be interesting to experience - lie, mislead and bullshit your way to success! Persuasion mechanics have been in games before, but (as far as I know) never a character's primary means of operating.
New Vegas. Not necessarily the focus, granted, but it's possible to complete relying mostly on persuasion. The main game anyway. Alpha Protocol also had some interesting (and reasonably important) persuasion mechanics, though the focus did remain on action/stealth.

There's also a choose-your-own-adventure type series on Choice of Games which is basically what you described, or at least it's possible to play as someone like that, but I guess you have to like the format.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
A tech-empath character in a modern/future setting who is weak, unarmed and blind, but can 'see' through the lens of any type of camera they are near as well as control any other type of electronic device with their mind. Finally, a plausible reason for third-person perspective... sort of.

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
I've always dreamed of the kind of fantasy game that puts you solely into the role of the healer. You have to follow your AI controlled party of warriors around and keep them alive long enough to do whatever it is you're in the middle of doing. You also act as the diplomatic front for your party so that would leave a lot of room of all of that Talky Bioware Goodness that everyone enjoys.

Bottom line, you will be playing a complete non-combatant. Sure, you can buff and heal to your heart's content with a wide range of spells and abilities. You might even be able to turn certain kinds of undead. But you can never take part in the melee and you must rely upon your much more brawny teammates or die horrifically.

The AI would be a ***** to program, though, and I can only imagine the internet backlash that will come with the game when your average player discovers that he has no primary attack functions.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I wouldn't mind being a slightly overpowered bad guy like a necromancer, however because of it NPC's refuse to help you and might even attack you when your back is turned. So, you can raise an army of the dead but you won't be getting any good rewards from quests or able to buy stuff from shops.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Eddie the head said:
In skyrim I made a guy that just bashed people in the face with a shield. That was the only weapon I used, that was fun. And yeah it took some time to kill some things but they never killed me. Aside form that Ratchet has a unique attitude compared to most heroes. Guna save to world you may as well have some fun doing it.
So you were the Skyrim Captain America.

O.T. I don't have a problem with the conventions themselves but To give an example, GTA, a game where chaos is a popular passtime, could benefit from say pyromancy that say, gets stonger the more fire there is so the more damage your rampage creates the stronger you get. Or telepaths that play the role of healers and defenders and storm mages that control electricity and water all while in a car.

Oct 2, 2012
In Morrowind one of my most successful characters was a traveling merchant.
He traveled all over the place making and selling potions and other items. Tough going at first as he had no combat skills but eventually once my personality, speechcraft, mercantile and alchemy hit 100 I started to make potions that boosted my personality so much that non-creature enemies never attacked me and I could sell a 1 Drake piece of clutter for hundreds of Drakes.

Second best time in a game I've ever had.

razuk

Sep 11, 2008
uchytjes said:
Have we had a hero that is a sentient robot that is forced to follow the orders of some malevolent master lest he be destroyed? if not then that.
Like E-102 Gamma?

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Games need more telekinesis.

snip
I second this, we had TWO games about psychic powers at once last gen (psi-ops, second sight) which were both really good. Then... nothing since really unless you go into star wars. :/ I'm gonna say its because its hard to do, making a game where everything can be used as a weapon. I suppose you could limit how much power the main charcter had though.

-side note: You could make soldiers shoot themselves through mind control in psi ops :p

saintdane05 said:
OT: A game where you ARE the weapon. Not coming out of your hand, but your hand becoming a big ass hammer and smashing. Like Eve from Black Cat.
I think they did this in the prototype games, your hands turned into swords and all sorts. Just like venom/ carnage from spider man :p

Jun 11, 2009
tajonera577 said:
I've always wanted to play as death in the final destination series where you have to make slight changes to the environment to make a rude goldberg machine of your demise or even potentially save someone. I am aware that ghost trick explores this concept but your capabilities are limited though.....

OT:

Personally, I really like it when games treat a shield as an actual weapon (Dragon Age: Origins did this beautifully) rather than a cowering plate (I'm looking at you, World of Warcraft). The act of hitting someone full in the face with a shield is an integral part of combat when using one, and too many games treat it as a solely defensive tool.

Jun 11, 2009
daveman247 said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Games need more telekinesis.

snip
I second this, we had TWO games about psychic powers at once last gen (psi-ops, second sight) which were both really good. Then... nothing since really unless you go into star wars. :/
Uh, dude? Psychonauts? Please tell me you played Psychonauts.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I'd like to see a 'puppet master' type of hero. One that doesn't fight themselves, but makes everything around them fight for them. The environment, enemies, etc. I imagine controlling the minds of enemies, or making animated golems out of rubble, or bringing a tree to life, or even just flinging object at enemies.

That, and I want to finally see an rpg that has proper hand to hand combat. The TES series hand to hand combat feels kind of tacked on as an afterthought and useless. In mass effect you only had guns and magic. (biotics/tech) Heck, in almost every rpg these days you need at least some kind of weapon. Even the martial arts-like classes tend to use fist weapons or punching daggers or similar. Where's the proper bare handed fighting?

Brainwreck

Dec 2, 2012
I wanna play as a tank.
Yes.
A tank.
In a single-player story full of adventure! and drama! and fun! and romance!
Like, I dunno. A haunted Tiger II or something.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
BurnedOutMyEyes said:
I wanna play as a tank.
Yes.
A tank.
In a single-player story full of adventure! and drama! and fun! and romance!
Like, I dunno. A haunted Tiger II or something.
That would be unbelievably awesome. I've already thought of some settings.
1. During WWII where you pushback the Allies for Germany.
2. Cold War Era and you're out to seek revenge against the Russians and the Americans take advantage of of the carnage to launch an invasion.
3. Present Day (okay maybe pre-drones)You begin in some dusty old warehouse in Africa and move on through to the middle-east.
Could even include an RPG-like upgrade system.

Just some rough ideas but GAWD I wanna play this game so much now.

Jenvas1306

May 1, 2012
there is that guy who stomps creatures to death who are even bigger than him. cant remember the name, it was something italian I think...
and that blue hedgehog, he runs fast and tackles things or whatever that is.

PS: look at my cool glasses, I'm such a nerd!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mossberg Shotty said:
I would love to play as a guy who can only kill people by flipping their mattresses on top of them as they sleep.The pacing would be a bit on the slow side of course, but I see the potential. Picture something like an Edgar Allen Poe story crossed with Dishonored, crossed with PCP.

And if his enemies didn't sleep on a traditional box-spring, he would be powerless against them...
"Yes...Yes...Go to sleep...NO! Don't drink that coffee!"

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
Professor Lupin Madblood said:
tajonera577 said:
I've always wanted to play as death in the final destination series where you have to make slight changes to the environment to make a rude goldberg machine of your demise or even potentially save someone. I am aware that ghost trick explores this concept but your capabilities are limited though.....

OT:

Personally, I really like it when games treat a shield as an actual weapon (Dragon Age: Origins did this beautifully) rather than a cowering plate (I'm looking at you, World of Warcraft). The act of hitting someone full in the face with a shield is an integral part of combat when using one, and too many games treat it as a solely defensive tool.
WoW has Shield Bash! And whatever that thing is called that paladins have that make them throw their shields!

Zeldias

Oct 5, 2011
A student of mine told me he played through New Vegas entirely relying on Charisma and followers. He basically talked his way out of most things, and if he couldn't talk his way out, he ran and let his followers fight for him.

Sounds really cool for a game concept. Like a reverse The Last of Us.

BLAHwhatever

Aug 30, 2011
Well, a character in a book I read was an Inquisitor. He was a former war hero, officer, goodlooking, charming, etc.

Well, he'd been captured, crushing his leg in the process and getting tortured afterwards. Anyways, now he's a mere shadow of a man, dragging his halfdead leg behind him, bent over his cane, stairs are his archenemies. You get the idea.

His means of attacking is sending out his goons. He can only really "damage" his opponents in interrogations, torturing them.

So, I'm not sure how this would translate into a game, but I'd like something like that to happen. Especially if it has a good story

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
I want more antiheroes, characters who do not want to help but do so as they have no choice. Characters who really don't care which way things swing. This would be a break from all the save-the-world types or revenge driven types or 'this is my mission/duty' kind of people.
Like Mad Max.
I read this book set in the warhammer canon called Blackhearts. I've never been into warhammer myself but I needed something to read and it was really good. It was about a bunch of escaped prisoners just trying to survive and you could connect to it more as you understood their motives and there was nothing you were forced to imagine, like a sense of duty or anything.