A New Year Approaches! Your Personal Last and First?

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I liked the Forgotten city, except for the shooting bits which I have no idea why they are in there other then "Well, we programmed a bow so we gotta put some zombies in there".

I felt the big twist of the cannon ending killed my immersion a bit because while it tries so hard to over explain everything, it invoked a particularly tired trope that I felt didn't need to be used(I'm fine with Ancient Aliens in the Assassin's Creed Series but that's got it's whole sci-fi conspiracy vibe thing baked into it. I don't feel it benefits this story ) and also opened up a bunch of new questions that don't get addressedCharon bringing people back from the dead, even 2000 years later because......reasons. It's kind of a shame because I was really into the whole thing until that point.
Ah, yes, my fellow AC obsessive, of course as soon as I started talking to final boss debater, that's where my brain went. I mean, yeah, you think it about for like a minute and it's stupid but, hey, that's the beauty of video game story-telling- it feels cool in the moment.
If the gameplay wasn't so Skyrim blech I might have tried some save spam / replay thing to see all the endings but I'm good with the one. It was perfect to play for one day.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Ok so after a long cold grey New Years' extended weekend of indy charm (4 games in 4 days!) I'm back into self-torture and brutal punishment. I've had Sekiro on the brain. I beat on PS4, but I've since sold it and built a PC. I remember hearing claims that PS4 has lag, and I'm curious to see how this performs on my new machine. Since I already beat it I'm trying to convince myself I don't HAVE to beat it now that I'm starting it again but.. eh.

I also installed and tried out the demo for Inscryption. I'm hearing critics go ga-ga over this card strategy + other stuff (?) thing. I'm very torn on such games. On the one hand, I like the idea of strategy, on the other, I quickly lose patience and feel stupid, and walk away.
The last one I tried was Slay the Spire and I thought I was getting the hang of it but I could never get over that hump from being able to play for 30-60 minutes to build a deck good enough to actually make it to the boss. Part of what makes that game frustrating is that you have to watch the animations after you or the opponent picks their moves, so it's so slow and torturous. I just can't be arsed with that.

Witcher 3 which I love has Gwent and heck I did all that and played the spinoff Thronebreaker and everything. It being part of something else make me actually like it.

Inscryption so far seems relatively simple but I'm thinking it may be like Spire where the basics are straightforward but you have to be clever to figure out how to use all the mechanics and systems to overpower the enemy. I'm glad they have a free demo so I can play that to decide if I want more.

So, yeah, Sekiro replay and Inscryption demo. After a weekend of whimsical storytelling and cute animations, it's back to HARDCORE GAMURR mode or whatver.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Ah, yes, my fellow AC obsessive, of course as soon as I started talking to final boss debater, that's where my brain went. I mean, yeah, you think it about for like a minute and it's stupid but, hey, that's the beauty of video game story-telling- it feels cool in the moment.
If the gameplay wasn't so Skyrim blech I might have tried some save spam / replay thing to see all the endings but I'm good with the one. It was perfect to play for one day.

Getting the other 3 endings was a lot easier the the 4th. You can accomplish them pretty much the moment you have the special bow. They're all mostly variants on the same thing though and not nearly as drawn out as the canon one.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Well, first was CP2077 as expected.
It's ok with a few mods. Feels like an Ubisoft open world game in a GTA style (I guess that's maybe watchdogs, but I've not played it to compare). Just not as competent.
There's been some long cutscene/story sections that had me banging my head wishing them to be over and I imagine for people not familiar with the source material it would have been even more irritating. Or maybe it would have been an unknown and therefore more interesting.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I started A Plague Tale like Wednesday or Thursday and finished it Sunday. It was basically FINE (6/10). The stealth gameplay is really basic for basically half the game, then it gets more interesting once the rats become more apart of the gameplay. The story does keep you interested and wanting to push on, though it goes a bit "off the rails" towards the end. I don't really get the high reviews as the game really doesn't even have a single element that I'd say is 8/10 let alone the whole package. The game would've been much more interesting if it was squarely focused on the rats vs very basic stealth and combat.

Last edited: