A North Korean critique of Western media

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
GunsmithKitten said:
OKay....

This is North Korea we're talking about.

This is a place who's last leader, WHO WAS AN AVID FAN OF AMERICAN CINEMA, considered Friday the 13th to be the pinnacle of movie entertainment.

Yea, I'm not taking seriously this thing's opinion, even if it is correct.
But but.... King Jong Un likes mario or nintendo or something... he's totally hip, he's got this all figured out.

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
I honestly don't think that North Korea is allowed to say anything about any country until they get their shit together

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
people in glass houses....

you know just say'in

anyway, the 90% applies to pretty much anything...and I like having the freedom to watch as much crap as I like

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Aaron Sylvester said:
If someone from US had made this exact same video: "Yeah man totally agree with this, so true, etc etc"
But sadly this video came from a Korean: "LOL u r korean ur country is lame, look at urself first".
The first part of your post is correct: most of the posts do indeed agree on that there is plenty of shite to be found in western popular culture. The point is, however, that "giving any attention to Lindsay Lohan" somewhat pales in comparison to "a good chunk of the populace is on the brink of starvation".

SaneAmongInsane said:
Actually, removing myself from western thought and looking at it all... Jesus it's no wonder people hate the west. It's like living next door to Disney World. Might be fine for the first week, but eventually you just grow sick of seeing tourist passed out on your lawn.
You'll just have to pick what you like best - and personally I rather have a shallow and retarded popular culture than deal with persecution because I believe in the wrong god, or have the wrong opinion on politics.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Most people already know all this but let themselves get sucked in anyways. Personally I find it creepy so I make a point of paying as little attention to this sorta thing as I can possibly manage.

Prosis

May 5, 2011
EDIT: Just started watching the actual documentary. Have to say, the opening statement cracks me up. Things are definitely worse for North Korea. Didn't realize that this was actually endorsed by the government, so I guess this is NK's opinion of western media.

That being said, I agree with this video. Reality TV is garbage. Utter filth. It appeals to the lowest denominator of humankind, since that denominator is more likely to make the kneejerk impulse buys of various goods and products. And the worship of celebrities is stupidity (although to be honest, sports celebrities make me angrier than most good music/acting celebrities).

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
The great irony is that NK is guilty of some these things as well. For example plastic surgery is used alot in NK mainly for women who work in tourims, PR etc... espcially fancy state owned restaurants.

I laughed at the bit about Americans not knowing where the UK as despite Britain trying to be the USA's BFF.

Whitbane

Apathetic...
Mar 7, 2012
Yeah, Western culture is pretty crappy, but you know, at least we can leave if we want.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
jaded zombie said:
I liked how the video says that the media is being used to keep people ignorant about important issues, but remains silent about what those issues are...
As described above.

The media are more concerned with "first world issues" that they are with more seemingly more important stuff like poverty, even then there's an inherent bias.
nikki191 said:
Although pointing out that north koreans cant produce enough food purely because their farmers dont have tractors yet they have a huge military and a nuclear program not to mention an extensive missle program would get you sent to a re-education camp at the very least
Well the the price that's paid for isolationism. If they opened-up trade (or per se) with other countries in the near area they might fair a little better.

Trading isn't inherently capitalism.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I have to agree with you. While the criticisms made in the video are entirely valid, a) they've been repeated by people in Western Culture many times already, b) those people (and this video too, for that matter) are allowed to criticise Western Culture.

RubyT

Sep 3, 2009
What's up with people agreeing with the video?

Yeah, celebrity culture is scum! Why? Has Paris Hilton ever hurt somebody? Is she oppressing people, is she forcing anybody to pay attention to her?

You might find her dumb, you might find her "fans" dumb, but there are millions of people who find hanging out in internet forums or playing hours of video games dumb.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
I've heard this wonderful saying about--

Vault101 said:
people in glass houses....
Dammit, Vault.

Sure, no society is perfect, but if I had to choose England or North Korea I'd much rather be sitting on my double bed, taking a break from learning from a textbook I brought online, to check world events from my laptop and wait for my Shepard's pie to cook than, y'know, none of those things.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
DugMachine said:
Can't deny the facts. A lot of our pop culture and media is a heap of shit. At least we have the freedom to change the channels or go to a different website unlike some countries..
that sir, as an epic burn right there

wish I'd thought of it ......

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
IamQ said:
The video is more like "U.S.A sucks, North Korea is best Korea."
It is just that. There are plenty of countries that have questionably things in their media and questionable celebrities. Also, for the most part, the US on many fronts is just a big copy country. So many people from other countries come here to live because of the freedoms we do have, that they bring their culture, and then people here that are interested in it, copy it.

They blame the stuff that happens on capitalism, when that isn't the problem, it is just stupid people doing stupid things.

I almost couldn't stop laughing when they mentioned Michael Jackson.

This is Michael Jackson....US SLAVE TRADE!!!! So off base of an argument point, it is funny and not funny at the same time.

Shuguard said:
I'm surprised he didn't take a few shots at fox news or any other media channels. Pop media is garbage i will agree with that, but i prefer free speech/expression over prison.
So true. That video was basically, "This is why we should control what you say and do."