A Note From Your Friendly Neighborhood Editor in Chief

Encaen

May 6, 2005
A Note From Your Friendly Neighborhood Editor in Chief

?Don?t ever become a pessimist? a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.? ?Robert A. Heinlein

Read Full Article

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Good luck, man. This position seems to be cursed. Here's hoping you have a good Will save.

Also, surprised to see we're getting a new Community Manager. What's Schuyler going to be doing moving forward?

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I have a question, ever feel like you've been tossed in the middle of a minefield and asked to make a map of it?

Good luck.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Congrats on getting the job, I like your vision and I hope you'll be awesome.

But whilst I love the aim for optimism, I'm going to be pessimistic just for a second
With that in mind, The Escapist's mothership, Defy Media, has a number of other gaming properties that we're eager to ramp up coordination with, including GameFront and GameTrailers. Fostering better collaboration between our existing geek-oriented sites is going to be a major step forward in our ability to offer the breadth of content that geeks and gamers alike are browsing, given the oft-eclectic tastes of our group and the staggering array of exciting content being created for us nowadays
Is spin. Using 'ramp' to make things sound like they're increasing is smart.

But the truth is Defy Media decided to cut costs by firing half it's staff and making the rest do even more work than they were already by working across the multiple sites it owns. That's not ramping up to something. Greg Tito was an awesome guy and I'm pretty sure he got pushed out because of the cost-cutting rather than him leaving because he wanted to move on.

His leaving statement [http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sk5tel]

But that's not on you of course. That's a sucky business decision from Defy Media that might even have been necessary for the business for all I know. It's just a sad situation

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Good luck! Hoping you can keep the site rolling as it always has been. Even with recent events I'm still optimistic that everything will turn out alright.

Carzinex

Mar 29, 2011
"Moving forward, The Escapist is eschewing the "curmudgeon" mentality that is so pervasive these days in favor of the "enthusiast" mentality that we want to foster among our community, and geek culture at large. We want to focus on finding the good in the geekspace, rather than focusing on the bad. We want to facilitate enjoyment, rather than disparagement. We want to talk more about the things we love, and less about the things we hate."

thank you for this and best of luck in the new role!

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Well this should be interesting.

Could we perhaps get an official statement on the twitter convos revealed here-in: http://www.alienpickle.com/2015/01/defy-media-cuts-staff-at-escapist.html

But I guess it'll be interesting to see how many bridges will be burned over the next few days.

Elader

Needs more Dakka
Sep 7, 2008
I love the vision, I want an optimistic and enthusiastic source of news for my multitude of nerdy interests. Thank you for taking up the mantle and good luck!

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Sounds good, it'll be a tough task ahead but this site can rise again. Oh and a new CM?

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Congratulations, and good luck. Glad to hear about your appreciation for the "enthusiast mentality".

Ori Klein

Oct 14, 2011
"Moving forward, The Escapist is eschewing the "curmudgeon" mentality that is so pervasive these days in favor of the "enthusiast" mentality that we want to foster among our community, and geek culture at large. We want to focus on finding the good in the geekspace, rather than focusing on the bad. We want to facilitate enjoyment, rather than disparagement. We want to talk more about the things we love, and less about the things we hate.

With that in mind, The Escapist's mothership, Defy Media, has a number of other gaming properties that we're eager to ramp up coordination with, including GameFront and GameTrailers. Fostering better collaboration between our existing geek-oriented sites is going to be a major step forward in our ability to offer the breadth of content that geeks and gamers alike are browsing, given the oft-eclectic tastes of our group and the staggering array of exciting content being created for us nowadays"
Funny. Zero Punctuation is a curmudgeon style. And it panders. Infact, just the name, no? Defy Media. Defy...
This whole front was supposed to be a home for the critic, cynic and sarcastic. A relaxation of sort from mental gymnastics of the day and just throwing casual dismissive wit onto the air, blowing some vents.
Remember the first articles with Lord British ripping into EA? Yeah. Good times.

I am neither pessimist nor optimist. I am a pragmatist.

What this all reads to me is: the trend of these operations "not getting it" and losing their audience finally reached a point where they can no longer support themselves at their current structure. Hence: termination of jobs. 'Consolidation'
"This brand not fit? go visit the other brand!"

Heh. No.
I am no longer wanted in The Escapist. And that is fine with me.
Long ago it became clear that the few rare times I visited I only came to watch Croshaw's and Sterling's material anyway.
I have no qualms over this.

Your business. Take it wherever.
I'll show myself to the door.

Good luck and have fun.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Congrats and good luck with the new gig, Josh!

Very surprised that we're getting a new CM, but considering all the behind-the-scenes shuffle I would probably shouldn't be that shocked.

In any event, glad to see you're moving up in the world. :D

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Encaen said:
Moving forward, The Escapist is eschewing the "curmudgeon" mentality that is so pervasive these days in favor of the "enthusiast" mentality that we want to foster among our community, and geek culture at large
Soooo... No more Zero Punctuation and sharp cutbacks to MovieBob? XD

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Damn, Editor-in-Chief seems to be an extremely temporary position here at The Escapist. From Pitts to Butts to Arendt to Tito and now to Vanderwall...this is the 5th one in the the years I've been coming to this site.

I think it's a damn shame that Tito wasn't allowed to write some kind of goodbye letter to the readers of the site, he's been here a damn long time, always seemed like a cool guy, and I liked his work. I realize he was let go as part of this wave of rationalization (which is hardly a good omen for the future of the site) but I think letting him say his goodbyes to the readers would be the decent thing to do.

Either way, I'm gonna see how things develop, but with so many good people leaving, they're gonna have to prove that The Escapist is still worth coming to. It hardly has anything left to do with with what it once was, and has been in a never-ending state of constant change. Whether it changes to something I'm still interested in...we'll see.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Fat_Hippo said:
Damn, Editor-in-Chief seems to be an extremely temporary decision here at The Escapist. From Pitts to Butts to Arendt to Tito and now to Vanderwall...this is the 5th one in the the years I've been coming to this site.

I think it's a damn shame that Tito wasn't allowed to write some kind of goodbye letter to the readers of the site, he's been here a damn long time, always seemed like a cool guy, and I liked his work. I realize he was let go as part of this wave of rationalization (which is hardly a good omen for the future of the site) but I think letting him say his goodbyes to the readers would be the decent thing to do.

Either way, I'm gonna see how things develop, but with so many good people leaving, they're gonna have to prove that The Escapist is still worth coming to. It hardly has anything left to do with with what it once was, and has been in a never-ending state of constant change. Whether it changes to something I'm still interested in...we'll see.
I agree to me you can cut only so much before its not near what it was, I am willing to stick around for awhile, but if the content isn't here I won't be either.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
So the site is going to move away from the sometimes messy and personal aspect of gaming and instead focus even more on being a spread too thin something for everyone and everything's just hunky dory site? Ehhh... well, at least the forums will still be here I guess.

Jan 12, 2012
Ori Klein said:
In an entirely different direction, how have you had an account for more than 3 years and never done anything with it? This one comment and the most basic badges makes me think you haven't signed in ever (even just watching shows would get you something). I'm not upset at the fact, just baffled.

OT: Good luck to Vanderwall, I guess. Any position of authority seems to be chewing up employees like nobody's business, and between that and the hemorrhage of content creators I'm thinking it's more on Defy Media's approach than anything else.

EDIT: Also, apparently we're losing Ross Lincoln, Elizabeth Harper, and Carly Smith as well?!? That's not the kind of thing people who just read the official statement from the new EIC should be finding out through forum posts by people in the community. Can we get a flow chart about who's getting axed, who's moving into their old jobs, and when they kill the tabletop section entirely for only drawing a small number of fans who like the pretty solid, non-clickbait coverage they do there?