A Note From Your Friendly Neighborhood Editor in Chief

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Fat_Hippo said:
Honestly, I don't even think Yathzee is all that terribly negative. He's long gotten past humorously describing why a game is shit as his shtick, and is rather just a funny, irreverent games critic.
True, but Yahtzee has a hell of a lot of indirect influence on the tone of discussion in the forums here - in that perceptions (accurate or otherwise) taken from his reviews will often be repeated ad nauseum as Truth. And often in posts that go heavy on the vitriol and light on the wit.

Unfortunately, I've read that the corporate overlords aren't entirely happy with Yahtzee (because he has opinions about things) so I wouldn't be surprised if he got the boot in a similar manner to Jim sometime within the next 6 months. Which is funny, considering that the Escapist as it is today wouldn't even exist without Yahtzee's influence, as you pointed out.
If they lose Yahtzee they may as well shut the site. He's no longer my first port of call when I'm browsing the Escapist, but the last time I saw a "what brought you to the Escapist?" thread the answers were about 95% Zero Punctuation. I doubt that's changed.

Perhaps Yahtzee's opinions do annoy some potential advertisers, but if they lost ZP they wouldn't have the traffic to be worth advertising on.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Fappy said:
Also, surprised to see we're getting a new Community Manager. What's Schuyler going to be doing moving forward?
He'll do what he's always done, not much. XD

OP: G'luck with the new job.

I will always have a soft spot for Russ Pitts though. If only because his signature made it look like his first name was "Piss".

I don't see how you can compete with that.

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
As Bob already tweeted Suffice it to say: Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. I have NOT been fired from The Escapist or Defy Media. [https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/558041993843335168]

Rampant speculation begone!

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Good luck buddy! I've only been here since 2009 but the changes I've seen have been overwhelmingly positive from my perspective. I've always felt that The Escapist did a very nice job of riding the line between cautious optimism and passive-aggressive negativity. I feel like this site comes at stories from a positive angle first, but doesn't shy away from speculating on realistic limitations and/or cloudy past histories if the evidence exists to provide fuel for speculation. My only concern: don't pull punches. I often come to this site seeking honest appraisals of products before I buy them. Please don't stop providing criticism of shoddy work or half-baked products in the name of "positive reporting". I don't imagine you will, but just to put it out there. I wish you and the fine folks at the Escapist nothing but the best in this new year. I'm excited to see where the site goes and am happy for your progress, even if I am just some rando on the internet. Have a good one!

-Jarod R.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
webkilla said:
Well this should be interesting.

Could we perhaps get an official statement on the twitter convos revealed here-in: http://www.alienpickle.com/2015/01/defy-media-cuts-staff-at-escapist.html

But I guess it'll be interesting to see how many bridges will be burned over the next few days.
I just read... well a portion of that link, anyway. Pretty good example of why I dislike Twitter. A lot of people captured on that page come off sounding like dicks. I don't think they are, but there's going to be some ill will after getting canned, and Twitter's character limit doesn't leave much room for nuance. In all honesty, I feel that some bitterness is likely warranted, but some of it isn't. At the very least this:

kind of pisses me off when taken at face value. Because what it sounds like is that the previous EiC was trying to redefine the community rather than letting the community define itself. Now that could be a total misinterpretation. What he might have meant is that he was trying to introduce new content and articles that might attract more people with different viewpoints, and that's totally fine. But because this is Twitter, there's no way to tell for sure what he actually meant.

Of course it also doesn't help that the linked page is heavily biased, so I strongly suspect the Twitter quotes to be cherry picked to support its premise. But's that not a Twitter thing so much as it is an internet thing, and hey, it's not like the Escapist isn't trying to spin things too.

Oh well. I'll just wait to see how the wind blows, I guess. So welcome to our new new Escapist overlords for now!

Oh, but Escapist staff(or more likely, Defy Media)? I didn't start subscribing to the Pub Club so I could have a slightly larger avatar than everyone else. This site hosts some video content that drew me to the site, and some more than kept me. Some of it has come and gone over the years(Extra Credits, Jimquisition, Space Janitors, LRR), but there has been a strong core of it that I enjoy seeing in high resolution, and I decided I was willing to pay the small required annual fee to access it. The rest of the perks are nice, but that's what keeps me shelling out money, and I doubt I'm alone in that. If they go, so does my subscription. And again, I doubt I'd be alone in that opinion.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
I swear that Voldemort is afterthe EiC job at the Escapist. It's just a revolving door, and by now I feel the whole problem comes from above, since all the people that have been in that spot have tried their hardest. I do wish you good luck, Mr. Vanderwall, I've always liked your vibe and your formal Fridays, and ejoyed the Escapist Podcast (when it was only one) more when you participated. However, I don't think I can have the same optimism, since the site seems to been hemorrhaging content produceers (even if I don't like their style) at an alarming rate. Plus, if we're after the whole positive community effort, how come Lisa Foiles left? It was like the most joyous thing to come to the Escapist, little to no sarcasm or snide comments.

Also, the always broadening topics on the site have, in my opinion, made the quality of the overall coverage decline. There's more and more lack of focus and cohesive tone. It's just all over the place. I used to check tons of stuff here, now it's just some columns, which are seriously the best part of the site. Remember the long form articles that started this "magazine"? Yeah, that was great content, but I guess it doesn't pay the bills or satisfy Defy Media, and the Escapist has lost a lot of "academic" clout I think will return.

WaltIsFrozen

Apr 11, 2014
Moving forward, The Escapist is eschewing the "curmudgeon" mentality that is so pervasive these days...
Nice thinly-veiled jab at editors you guys fired. Way to kick people while they're down.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
If I'm gonna complain, might as well do it here since the new guy in charge might be able to do something about it, so here goes.

I really don't know why I come here anymore. Originally, I came because it was a great news aggregator and had funny webcomics and videos. I never really liked the reviews and never really felt like the scores necessarily reflected the content of the reviews either. Then a couple years ago, I noticed that about 20% of the news stories started showing up with more clickbaity titles that didn't necessarily reflect the content of the article. The one that stuck with me was when the title of the article claimed something along the lines of "Spider Woman writers quit because of lesbian wedding" where the first part of the article and title lead you to believe that they quit because they were being forced to write a lesbian wedding, when in actuality they quit because the editors wouldn't let them.

The misleading and clickbaity titles disappeared after a while and I don't remember any recently, but what has gone is pretty much everything of substance from the website. I joined Twitter 2 years ago and since then I really get most of my gaming news by following other sites, The Escapist piece usually goes up 15 minutes to several hours after I've already seen the news elsewhere, so it's not useful for me to check out the site. The cool webcomics and funny video series have been cut almost entirely in favor of Top 8 lists, and reviews of every show on the air.

Jim Sterling was alright and I'm a fan of Moviebob, but both of them did way too much stuff for the website and for a good year/year and a half the entire place was utterly dominated by their content. I used to enjoy the letters arguing back and forth between Yahtzee, James Portnow, Jim Sterling, and Moviebob, but once Extra Credits was jettisoned, the series never went anywhere. There's not enough diverse viewpoints and discussion among the content creators anymore, especially since half the people in that series are gone.

I used to love the (I think it was) EGM way of doing reviews, where they'd have one main reviewer, and 2 side columns with second opinions and think that's something that's really worthwhile. It prevents one particular reviewer's biases and tastes from being the only one represented, and would prevent things like fucking Dragon Age 2 getting a perfect score and glowing review which it objectively didn't deserve (regardless of whether or not you liked it, you can't ignore the problems the review ignored).

And while I'm at it, I need to voice a couple of what are sure to be unpopular opinions: LRR need to go. They do really funny Magic stuff, but so many series that were better, more informative, and even more funny have come and gone while they've remained. Unskippable and Feed Dump are both about 20/80 on the hit or miss scale. Checkpoint was OK, the main show/Commadore Hustle is/was OK, and like I said, the stuff they do for Wizards is great, but they're way oversaturated here.

There's way too many goddamned TV show reviews. The Agents of SHIELD one was the only one that I kept reading, simply because someone being able to link the comic book universe to the TV universe is a great skill to have, but Arrow, Flash, and Gotham are all mediocre shows that don't plumb the depths of the comic book mythos nearly as much. Star Wars Rebels is OK, but it's no Clone Wars and the episodes are so simplistic you don't need a freaking review. Constantine never got me. The Walking Dead jumped the shark for me a while ago, but given it's popularity I can see keeping that one. But really, you're doing freaking ARCHER now? A lot of them are cheap content shat out in an hour or two for a few views and can be cut for stuff that's actually either entertaining or informative.

I get that you guys are news aggregators primarily, but are you ever going to do actual journalism apart from trade shows? Just wondering. I get that preview content is largely bought and paid for hence all the hype and positivity before the thing comes out, but I think your review score is pretty broken given I haven't seen a game below 2 stars in a long ass time (certainly none in the last several months, didn't check past that). Even super critical text is met with 2 1/2 to 3 stars. Why the fuck have a star system at all (other than being listed on Metacritic because for some reason people don't feel legitimate without that fucking site) if you're not gonna use it to accurately reflect how you felt about the game?

I usually just come for Critical Miss, ZP, and sometimes Escape to the Movies and Big Picture (and back episodes when I'm really bored). The MO over the last year has seemed to be overload the schedule with as much shit as possible without regard for quality, and I'm not feeling it. If I wanted clickbait lists, I'd go to Cracked or Buzzfeed. If I wanted one person's lengthy opinion on pop culture, I'd go to Reddit or Youtube. I used to come here for clever comics, funny gaming videos, and reviews, all of which are severely lacking in number and/or quality these days.

Ever since Pub Club was announced, I've never seen anything on this site that made me actually consider joining. Not just because there are few member benefits, but I didn't feel like the site was worth supporting. I'd like for that opinion to change, but it just seems lately I've been proven right over and over. Hopefully, you can change that.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Encaen said:
?Don?t ever become a pessimist? a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.? ?Robert A. Heinlein
Please tell this to Yahtzee. Dude seems convinced that pessimism is the way forward.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Good luck on your new position. May to resist the EiC curse successfully, unlike so many before you. Love positive vision you've got, I hope you stick around for a good while.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
I'm deeply concerned about the future of this site. Joshua, I wish you luck and success, but I'm not very optimistic about what's happened and happening. I understand that you're going to do your damnedest to make/keep The Escapist a success, and hopefully our criteria for success overlap.

I didn't always agree with Tito, and I've told him so directly. But I was always impressed by and appreciative of his candor. It pains me to see him leave, and I hope he finds success elsewhere.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
BrotherRool said:
Congrats on getting the job, I like your vision and I hope you'll be awesome.

Is spin. Using 'ramp' to make things sound like they're increasing is smart.
First and foremost, thank you, and to everybody else, for the positive thoughts and congratulations. I can't really explain how big this is for me, and I hope that even the naysayers will eventually come to appreciate the values I'm hoping our team be able to bring back to The Escapist, and to the whole media space. Down with bile. Long live fun.

Hoping to avoid getting nitpicky here, but given that [mtg_card=Birds of Paradise] is one of my favorite cards ever, "ramp" is just part of my daily lexicon. ("Mana Ramp", for the uninitiated, is when you use small creatures, artifacts, and spells to get more mana faster than your opponent.) Didn't intend it as spin in any capacity, I promise you, as our cross-site coordination will assuredly be increasing in the coming weeks and months.

Ori Klein said:
Funny. Zero Punctuation is a curmudgeon style. And it panders. Infact, just the name, no? Defy Media. Defy...
This whole front was supposed to be a home for the critic, cynic and sarcastic. A relaxation of sort from mental gymnastics of the day and just throwing casual dismissive wit onto the air, blowing some vents.
Remember the first articles with Lord British ripping into EA? Yeah. Good times.

I am neither pessimist nor optimist. I am a pragmatist.
As to the notion that Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation is counter to my enthusiast objectives, I have just one word: "comedy."

ZP is a comedy show, not an intellectual critique of the games he plays. I don't take issue with Yahtzee taking the piss out of a game he didn't like. Nor of him taking the piss out of a game that he adored. He takes the piss out of literally everything, and that's part of what makes him amazing.

Not to mention, the man has been doing weekly episodes for 7.5 years. That's almost 400 episodes. I'm not sure how better to describe an "enthusiast," honestly.

That said, I fully understand your uncertainty, and I encourage you to find a source of content that suits your personal tastes for the time being. All that I'd ask is that you check back in a couple of months, read, watch, or listen to what we've got going on, and then make a fully-informed decision as to whether The Escapist can fulfill your particular needs!

Also, pragmatism is the best matism. I've been a pragmatist for decades now. But it's not mutually exclusive with optimism!

Encaen

May 6, 2005
WaltIsFrozen said:
Moving forward, The Escapist is eschewing the "curmudgeon" mentality that is so pervasive these days...
Nice thinly-veiled jab at editors you guys fired. Way to kick people while they're down.
While I can glean where you're coming from, you're entirely off base with this. I can't really elucidate just how personally difficult it is to lose the amazingly talented writers and editors that I'd spent twelve months laboring side-by-side with, but rest assured, that statement reflects my views on the industry in general, not of the incredible people I've been so privileged to work with.

Not to mention, insulting my colleagues isn't exactly in line with the whole "enthusiasm" and "positivity" thing I'm going for.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I listen to the movie podcast all the time and Ross gave me kudos on a comment I made in his article on Black Panther. I'm really pissed to see he got cut.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Fox12 said:
Pyrian said:
Encaen said:
Moving forward, The Escapist is eschewing the "curmudgeon" mentality that is so pervasive these days in favor of the "enthusiast" mentality that we want to foster among our community, and geek culture at large
Soooo... No more Zero Punctuation and sharp cutbacks to MovieBob? XD
Exactly what I was going to say. I'm curious what they intend to do, since The Escapist basically defined the funny pessimist attitude. Not that I'm complaining, I could use a little more optimism. I wouldn't mind seeing something similar to Extra Credits make a return. That always left a smile on my face.

Yahtzee will be displeased.
I don't think this is what they're saying. That kind of stuff is done mostly in humor. I mean, you can say Yahtzee is a misanthrope, but even if it was true, he's a funny one, which is the point.

I think what they're trying to say is rather than copying other sites like Kotaku who constantly put out hit pieces about how gaming is terrible or gamers are terrible and other sorts of nonsense, they'll be backing away from that trend and instead looking for stories that support gaming as a hobby.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Dead Century said:
Well, I wish the new chief good luck. Hopefully this place doesn't collapse.
I hope not, I really don't have anywhere else right now webwise that I hang my hat. D:

OT: Good luck to our new Editor in Chief and the positive mindset!