A Player Reborn! (FF14 Help)

DarkishFriend

Sep 19, 2011
Can any vets from FF14 help an old player figure out what to do? I played this game back at launch and got a BRD to lvl 50. I recently bought back into it and I've run into two problems.

1) Trying to figure out if I should restart on a new character, or keep going on the 50.

and

2) What do I do? I'm totally lost when I log into the lvl 50, which is why I kinda want to want to restart. Can anyone help me figure out where to go to continue playing and where to unlock the new classes?

Also, with the new classes is there any quests to help me level up, or is it 30 levels of hunting log grinding?

Gamerpalooza

Sep 26, 2014
If I remember correctly you gotta go to coearthas(?) and from where you teleport, the massive crystal, jump off the bridge south and head east. There's a Door and a Guard that's where you continue with the expansion.

All you gotta do is open up the journal and try and remember the last things you were doing under the main story section.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
I tend to leave 14 for ages and then come back. I just stuck with the same character its quite easy to pick back up and if you want to you can just switch classes to play lower game content until you get back into the swing of things.

There are easy ways to quickly level lower classes quickly I usually just go to the hall of the novice and complete it to get the bonus XP ring and then do the turtle eggs level quest in camp tranquil its a lvl 30 odd leve that is easily doable by even a level 1 character. Just do that until you are high enough to run dungeons.

To find out where to go next in the main story quests I suggest finding the name of your last played story quest and then type that in on google to find the chain. That is what I have always done after months or just over a years absence.

Also since you have a lvl 50 character any other classes you lvl now get bonus XP at least I think its still 50 unless they have raised it to 60 now for the new lvl cap. Anyway I wouldnt suggest re rolling unless you really hate your character. One character can do everything in FFXIV so no need for alts to try out new jobs and start lower down content (plus you can still do beginner level content with a high level character if you wanted since it will scale you).

Oh and make sure you have Heavensward if you want to continue the story past 50.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
I suggest you restart. The story continues after you hit 50. Not sure where you stopped story wise. You can't just jump into the new content, you need to continue the story in order to reach heavensward. Imo, the story is the best part of the game, so if you aren't too sure what was going on, i suggest you restart.

The alternative is, continue your bard from the main quest you left off. Which could be anywherw, but most likely in revenants toll IIRC. I suggest buying heavenward beforehand ( if you intend to play for a while) as you won't interrupt the story and it will allow you to level past 50.

Also you don't unlock the new classes until you reach heavensward, so don't get any ideas about playing as the new classes right out the gate.

DarkishFriend

Sep 19, 2011
Thanks for the responses everyone. I already do own Heavensward. I'm gonna go to the lvl 50 and change them to a dragon person. Any tips on leveling the new DRK? Which is what I want to try now.

I also learned today tanking with a ps4 controller is very difficult.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Best way to level is dungeons and dailies doesnt matter what (combat class) you are levelling. Story quests are also extremely good sources of XP but you will need to get your DRK to 50 to continue where you left off with your bard if you do that.

Other good source is the challenge log which helps out massively from 50 to 60 due to it scaling to a percentage rather than just giving you a flat amount.

I play on PC but use a PS3 pad. Havent done much tanking only got my DRK to lvl 39 but once you get a good setup its not that hard unless you want to mark lots of things for the DPS to ignore anyway :).

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
DarkishFriend said:
Thanks for the responses everyone. I already do own Heavensward. I'm gonna go to the lvl 50 and change them to a dragon person. Any tips on leveling the new DRK? Which is what I want to try now.

I also learned today tanking with a ps4 controller is very difficult.
Honestly, if you need help, I'd offer to play with you, but I main Tank so... my 50 warrior/dark knight can't help, but maybe my monk can. Message me if you want some personal assistance, I don't work today so I'll do what I can.

As said before, do the daily roulettes if you have them, which will give you a extra boost the first time you finish it, and be sure to eat a food item when you start a dungeon, as it gives you extra XP. Once you get to 50, continue doing story missions because they give you a bunch of XP and progress the game to give you access to higher level dungeons, gear, and area's.