Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Vault101 said:
SoranMBane said:
Oancitizen posted a thing: http://kylekallgren.tumblr.com/post/108118690279/a-farewell-to-awesome

No personal drama in this case, it seems. And, like in the other recent cases, he's still going to continue producing content, just not for Channel Awesome.
this seems to be the case with the others...I also suspect it might be why Lindsey left...they just don't need channel awesome anymore

anyway I'm happy to hear an explanation that makes sense
Patreon is killing ad based sites. Hell it could kill the escapist as we saw with Jim. I feel this will be a weird five years for a lot of this types of sites.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
I remember back in University for the first few years watching a lot of TGWTG content to break the grind of studying. Video games would take to much time, but I could load up a video while studying then watch a show, then go back to studying. Of course, that wasn't exactly how it went as time went on.

Speaking from my experiences, I just fell out of the channel over time, as most of them seemed to be just reviewers screaming half the time, doing really childish stuff that after a while just got super annoying. The only one I watch from time to time is Angry Joe, but he might be his own thing at this point. I stayed with the Weekly Manga Recap guys for a while, but not anymore.

Another thing for me is after University, I started offshore work, where I would be gone for weeks at a time. This means that if I really wanted to keep up, I would have to come home then catch up on 5 weeks worth of stuff. Instead of watching those guys, I can probably find that movie on a boat, then watch it and get more entertainment mocking it myself.

Still sad to see an old friend break up like that though.

Slowking

Feb 27, 2011
Armadox said:
CA wanted to work more like a mainstream television channel, with less reviews and skits and more full blown shows. Mike Michaud has shown he doesn't care one bit for the reviewers and has used underhanded tactics to keep them working full steam to have site content without actually presenting them with any real benefits (exposure on the internet post 2009 is a hilariously out-dated concept. If you're good enough to gather a few hundred people, you are good enough to get a few thousand out of word of mouth and regular content up-dates.) With Mike and the managers seeing the producers as parasites, they tried rebranding Doug out of the already over-saturated review pull and into an actual show (Demo Reel, nobody got what was happening then, and it bombed). Now that they're losing content providers, they're grabbing up literally any show of wide ranges of production quality to plug the hole left by the dissenters, though I can't actually say that I can tell you the names of any of them (they came all at once, with no way to discern them individually and to many to go through one at a time. A case of to much of a good thing...)
That might be partly the case, but I think Doug was really just done with the Nostalgia Critic and reviews in general and was crushed when demo real didn't work out and he had to go back to it. I mean he has been using the melody of Queen's "the show must go on" as his outro music since then and that song screams "I don't want to do this":
"The Show must go on!
The Show must go on!
Inside my heart is breaking,
My make-up may be flaking,
But my smile, still, stays on!"

Which might also be why his reviews seem so bitter now...

Darks63 said:
In the Case of Phelous, Lupa, and Dickman who cares since you can see all of them on Phelous's website anyway. Which as a website works MUCH better than TGWTG. All but four of my Fav contributors have their won sites so I don't have to go to TGWTG. IF Maven, That Sci-Fi guy, LT, and Mike J got their own sites I would be set.
At least Maven can be found here: http://chezapocalypse.com/
The others you could just follow on blip.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Queen Michael said:
Happyninja42 said:
Obscurus Lupa and Phelous had a very annoying way they spoke, and they're stage presence in their clips...
Whoa. Hold your hippogriffs. I get your complaints about Phelous' speech. I don't get your complaint about his stage presence, or Lupa's, or about Lupa's speech. Please explain.
Lupa had this sort of nasally, deep voiced way of speaking in a lot of her clips. I can't really describe it other than it sounded sort of like....actually I don't know, just odd. It was distracting and annoying to me. Maybe it was simply a combination of her natural voice and the quality of her recording equipment, but the end result just annoyed me.

As for Phelous' behaviour, in the few clips of his that I could sit through for a few seconds, he did a lot of this over exaggerated eye rolling, and super sarcastic, ironic tone to his voice. It was just annoying. I don't know if this was his normal way of behaving in his clips, maybe I just had bad luck to find the ones where he behaved like this, but it just annoyed the shit out of me. Most of my exposure to him are from the Channel Awesome movies they did, and not from his specific show, but the few bits I did watch, annoyed me. Granted, it was only a few moments of any clip, because his voice really does annoy the piss out of me that much. But if his behavior in the official movies they did is a reasonable representation of his average work, I don't like it, and find it annoying.

nyarlathotepsama

Apr 11, 2012
You know people here are lot more reasoned than the people over on the actual CA forum. They are all leaping to random conclusions and playing a very extended blame game with only one side's testimony. I'm actually kind of shocked because I came here for more snark than I'm seeing. I dunno how to feel really...

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I'm going to miss Lupa and especially Phelous. Though I'll never miss either of them together...such a terrible duo on camera for some reason.

These two and Spoony are the only people who have left the site that had content I truly enjoyed. Not to say that it's a big deal at all. Simply favorite their personal sites and continue to enjoy what they post.

The other producers mentioned weren't my cup of tea. No big loss.

The site as a whole still has a promising future though. Several of the new content creators have been wonderful especially when going through their history of content prior to the site. Some of the NEWER ones I'd recommend are:
- The Horror Guru
- Good Hook
- Ross's Game Dungeon
- What we had to watch
- The Yomarz Show
- Blood splattered Cinema

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
This in particular sounds like an internal politics thing. It's Lindsay's posse that left, and they all left at the same time. Either they left in protest, or were fired for a very real collective incident.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
nyarlathotepsama said:
You know people here are lot more reasoned than the people over on the actual CA forum. They are all leaping to random conclusions and playing a very extended blame game with only one side's testimony. I'm actually kind of shocked because I came here for more snark than I'm seeing. I dunno how to feel really...
Care to give me some more info? What are the CA forums like?

nyarlathotepsama

Apr 11, 2012
Queen Michael said:
nyarlathotepsama said:
Care to give me some more info? What are the CA forums like?
A lot of people are demanding that Doug Walker making a statement on the issue, even though he had little or nothing to do with the situation. More are accusing him of being some kind of complete asshole. It hasn't broken down into White Knights Vs More White Knights yet but it is starting to lean that way. Loads of people talk about having pestered one side or the other on social media rather than just letting the people actually involved handle their business.

There are a lot of long running arguments that are just speculation or at worst demands to be given answers, which will comes I assure anyone that cares just not instantly. Some other people who have left over the years are getting really vocal and hostile on social media, the person in question has a history of whiping the forums up by sending followers to basically troll the site but that hasn't happened this time as of yet.

From what I can tell the majority of the issue is from the over the head of the Channel Awesome Mike Michaud (apparently) being a colossal dick and the clear favoritism shown to Doug Walker's productions in Chicago. He is the both the most popular member of and most recognized member of CA so it just makes sense he'd get better treatment but from the testimony of Allison (Lupa) it seems that it goes beyond the norm for such a situation.

Overall it is like any other forum but with a really bitter edge to it currently and the mood doesn't seem to be improving. I doubt that this is the end of the site in any way but a nice strong hit on the fans for sure.

nyarlathotepsama

Apr 11, 2012
Nieroshai said:
This in particular sounds like an internal politics thing. It's Lindsay's posse that left, and they all left at the same time. Either they left in protest, or were fired for a very real collective incident.
It is more the Phelous/Lupa side that left, Andy Dickman is also featured on their personal site so I'm assuming he left to show kinship. From what I can tell Lindsay was planning to leave on her own for numerous reasons. Not sure of those though, I'm not normally into site gossip unless it ends up becoming the only thing anyone wants to talk about.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013

Well, goodnight gents. I will miss Jesuotaku, even though I haven't seen her content in years.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to hangout at Redletter media!

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
nyarlathotepsama said:
Nieroshai said:
It is more the Phelous/Lupa side that left, Andy Dickman is also featured on their personal site so I'm assuming he left to show kinship. From what I can tell Lindsay was planning to leave on her own for numerous reasons. Not sure of those though, I'm not normally into site gossip unless it ends up becoming the only thing anyone wants to talk about.
I feel, after going over their posts partly but mostly based on the Spoony Incident, that Doug doesn't really get to make decisions on the channel. I don't know much about Rob, but the owner of CA has definitely shown far more animosity towards contributors than Doug ever has. The Spoony Incident, though, reminds me of something: firstly, that even Noah doesn't blame Doug for it, and second, that Lupa is now in Spoony's shoes (minus nasty heart disease/bipolar combo I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies) and yet she still takes the time in her farewell address to go "Poor me!" about the twit-storm that supposedly led to Spoony's banishment. Based on these recent developments in particular, I wonder if it was the popularity of Spoony's own site that was at least partly the issue and a mental disorder-related outburst in the wake of an anniversary special that pissed EVERYONE off was just an excuse to let him go without fanbase fuss.

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
All things must come to an end some day. Like many others I just grew out of their videos; The content wasn't anything new or refreshing and the humor didn't appeal to me anymore. Spoony was indeed my favorite. It's sad to see all of them go like this. What's most interesting is that they are leaving for almost the same reasons: They don't like the business direction that Channel Awesome is taking post TBF. It become far too strict where people should be in order to be supported, i.e. Chicago.

I'll remember their content fondly, and I hope they have good luck in their future endeavors.

This makes me want to watch the SWAT 4 vids again.

nyarlathotepsama

Apr 11, 2012
Nieroshai said:
nyarlathotepsama said:
Nieroshai said:
I feel, after going over their posts partly but mostly based on the Spoony Incident, that Doug doesn't really get to make decisions on the channel. I don't know much about Rob, but the owner of CA has definitely shown far more animosity towards contributors than Doug ever has. The Spoony Incident, though, reminds me of something: firstly, that even Noah doesn't blame Doug for it, and second, that Lupa is now in Spoony's shoes (minus nasty heart disease/bipolar combo I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies) and yet she still takes the time in her farewell address to go "Poor me!" about the twit-storm that supposedly led to Spoony's banishment. Based on these recent developments in particular, I wonder if it was the popularity of Spoony's own site that was at least partly the issue and a mental disorder-related outburst in the wake of an anniversary special that pissed EVERYONE off was just an excuse to let him go without fanbase fuss.
I feel mostly the same. I don't blame Lupa for being upset though, if her story is even half true it is pretty disheartening. I like Doug, not just the characters he plays and not even just his personality but what he represented. His site used to be a place of just pure creative joy with friends working together to make content and pool resources to some degree or other. I think though, like in most popular communities, money started become a factor. A lot of people saw Doug as an inspiration so after he quit his time to be the NC full time other people followed that example leading to a lot of folks just not being able to get the revenue required support a decent lifestyle. Not everyone has the cult of personality to make reviewing their full time job, sadly I'm one of the idiots who tried this at one point. It didn't go well. I'm so personally embarrassed of my videos I not only took them down from my channel but deleted the files two hard-drives ago. I'd have burned them but I didn't want the fines.

I think Spoony is doing better than the majority of CA producers because of patreon, which should be the "industry" standard instead of ads, it just works out better if recent information is to be believed.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
nyarlathotepsama said:
I think Spoony is doing better than the majority of CA producers because of patreon, which should be the "industry" standard instead of ads, it just works out better if recent information is to be believed.
patreon I think is another factor in this. it has been so much easier for people to make money on the web because of it. it cut out the middle me, gives content creators more power on the web and it much easier for them to leave places they don't like. We saw the same thing with Jim.

nyarlathotepsama

Apr 11, 2012
tf2godz said:
nyarlathotepsama said:
patreon I think is another factor in this. it has been so much easier for people to make money on the web because of it. it cut out the middle me, gives content creators more power on the web and it much easier for them to leave places they don't like. We saw the same thing with Jim.
I almost forgot about Jim! I'd go so far as to say it is a massive game changer and that a lot of similar sites are seeing the same effects as we did with Jim. I personally prefer the patreon system, well obviously, for the reasons you stated. It is going to be an interesting year for internet based shows me thinks.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
tf2godz said:
Patreon is killing ad based sites. Hell it could kill the escapist as we saw with Jim. I feel this will be a weird five years for a lot of this types of sites.
its an interesting concept and has definitely had an effect on content producers but I wouldn't call it the next big thing yet, relying solely on goodwill might not always work

Nieroshai said:
Lindsey left because she needed to move on and stopped being "Nostalga chick" long before she gave up the name, Oancitizen because of creative differences...he didn't see the need for CA

I think Todd is still there and Chez contributors Stuff you like and needs more gay have actually joined CA

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
The whole thing bugs me. I didn't know about the politics behind the scenes, and from what I've heard, it's none too pleasant. This is why I hate it when reality interferes with my interests...

It feels like the "internet review" craze is dying down, and all this just leaves me feeling depressed...

I wonder if it's time to move on from the site and just start watching my favorite reviewers on Blip or their own sites... (of the newer CA reviewers, I recommend checking out Calluna, SF Debris, and Some Jerk With a Camera. They at least are worth a look)

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Vault101 said:
I think Todd is still there and Chez contributors Stuff you like and needs more gay have actually joined CA
Did Needs More Gay join Chez Apocalypse or Channel Awesome?