A professional, objective, apolitical future for The Escapist...

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
G.O.A.T. said:
Based solely on the information given in this thread, I find the addition of this Mr.Morse to be odd. At least based on my visits to these here forums, the community seems very liberal and progressive. And then to see this guy's tweets regarding transgender people...I don't get it. Is management so far removed from the fan base? Did they not screen properly? Has he recanted? Does he actually fit in with management's philosophies? I don't want to judge him based on next to no info, but upon first glance the Escapist really seems to have missed the mark.
I agree. At the very least, The Escapist needs to make a full and honest statement about this situation ASAP. A complete statement by Mr. Morse would also be extremely helpful. Despite my personal attachment to these forums (and the apparent lack of anything comparable anywhere else), I will not feel comfortable supporting the site any longer even just via page and ad views unless things are clarified post haste.

William Ossiss

Apr 8, 2010
Once Yahtzee/Critical Miss leaves, I'm out.
I'd also leave if this site started getting any kind of political.

I've no real idea what this guys inane twitter ramblings seems to imply...
From the context of the comments, though, I'd say this moron is more than just a little offensive.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
IceForce said:

So they've pretty much just hired Milo Yiannopoulos, yeah?
I went to confirm if that's the case,well you are technically right.
it does seem to have the /gamergate/ seal of approval.
if it is this
I don't tend to wander over to /GamerGate/ often enough to tell but I will say I've posted that on 8chan's /tg/ for sarcasm's sake so....
Anyway, god I'm glad I stay in /tg/ and the other boards, that place is a flustercluck. better then /b/ of halfchan or even new questia like ol' /tg/.
That being said, 'm fairly certain there still is a number of aGG and non-GG staffers here and that could be really cool.
If there's a good balance, perhaps we could have even handed discussion.
>like that would ever happen

Wait I have to wonder I heard Lizzie something or other was hired and a GGer, why aren't we talking about that either

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
MarsAtlas said:
G.O.A.T. said:
Based solely on the information given in this thread, I find the addition of this Mr.Morse to be odd. At least based on my visits to these here forums, the community seems very liberal and progressive. And then to see this guy's tweets regarding transgender people...I don't get it. Is management so far removed from the fan base? Did they not screen properly? Has he recanted? Does he actually fit in with management's philosophies? I don't want to judge him based on next to no info, but upon first glance the Escapist really seems to have missed the mark.
He's done work under a different Defy Media property and... thats it, as far as I can tell. No other qualifications to work at a geek culture site. Most of his contributions seem to be explicitly political, which doesn't jive with the "we're gonna be apolitical now, mmkay?" line from the Community Manager. Of course, the Community Manager doesn't get to make the hires, nor does he have the psychic ability to know when management is lying to his face. Defy Media has been fucking with many of its properties lately, so whatever is going on, its likely a result from them.

And no, he hasn't recanted, he's doubled down, as evidenced by tweets made just today that are embedded in this thread. Its doubtful he'd recant, since he also holds a very religious view of homosexuality as well. The only difference is that he doesn't make fun of cisgender non-heterosexuals on twitter.
See this is what I don't understand. Can someone help me out? Vuz like...does he do geeky media? I knew of Jim from Destructiod, and even witnessed some of his less egalitarian moments. But even if Jim hadn't changed his stance on some issues his work at another video game site explained why he was hired as a content creator for the Escapist. I knew Movie Bob from some of his Game Overthinker videos and those videos that he did on his own explain why he was fired as a content creator for the Escapist. But what is up with this guy?

Its odd to ask for people to set the transphobia aside because transphobia is harmful, but I'm really baffled, and I'd like to assume that he wasn't hired for his political stances on sex and gender. What exactly is his role going to be at the Escapist? Like, does he have his own personal blog where he posts his opinions on geeky media at least?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
faeshadow said:
God damn it, Escapist. I applauded you for firing Moviebob for his nasty and unprofessional behavior on Twitter, so you....hire this guy? Who seems to be even worse?

Color me disappointed.
Agreed, barring one factor.

MovieBob could be, at times, just as ignorant and bigoted as this new guy seems to be.

Same food, different flavor.

That said: I plan to extend him the same courtesy I did to Bob. I will judge his content contributions by the, well....content of those contributions.

I didn't care that Bob was a spiteful, hateful, ignorant jerk on Twitter. Er, I mean, I did care, and his behavior colored my opinion of him as a human being, but his 'Twit'ter behavior didn't factor into my judgement of his content on the site. Just as this man's hateful transphobic tweets won't factor into my judgement of his contributions.

However, if he brings the same sort of bigoted rhetoric into his contributions as Bob did with his....

Then you need to fire him a.s.a.p., Escapist Staff.

JustAnotherAardvark

Feb 19, 2015
Vigormortis said:
However, if he brings the same sort of bigoted rhetoric into his contributions as Bob did with his....

Then you need to fire him a.s.a.p., Escapist Staff.
I know!
It's almost as if this never would have happened if all the folks complaining *now* had complained *then*.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
cleric of the order said:
Wait I have to wonder I heard Lizzie something or other was hired and a GGer, why aren't we talking about that either
Well, being a Gamergater isn't really the issue. Lizzy's not done anything terribly offensive, as far as we know.

RobXSIQ

Feb 22, 2015
End of the day, its a business. If a persons outside behavior compromises his work or the company he works for, and in this case the behavior in question can be seen as transphobic and devisive (not controversial, just flat out disrespectful), then this must be put into consideration from simply a cold ruthless business perspective.
Watch the guy...people most certainly can change, but if he hasn't, or confirmed to a more professional representation of himself, then the guy should (and will) get sacked.

Quite simple really.

Should then a person never have a opinion outside his work? of course that is fine in spirit, but a journalist/actor/etc has decided to take a public figure life that will be judged. You trust a journalist due to who he is as a person..otherwise a computer with clever algorithms can spit out articles.

I say give the guy a chance, but if this continues..then..well, escapist will cut loose any liability. There is a -lot- of talent out there just begging for the chance to be the next sterling/biscuit/credits/etc. cutthroat business wont tolerate too much straying from social norms. (unless they are gawker of course..in which case, that is a prerequisite)

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
RobXSIQ said:
Watch the guy...people most certainly can change, but if he hasn't, or confirmed to a more professional representation of himself, then the guy should (and will) get sacked.

Quite simple really.
Well, how do we know this? Management will probably have been aware of this to a degree before the hiring, since he's primarily known for political writing.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Silvanus said:
runic knight said:
I suppose it is inherently so, yes. Though not quite sure "I disagree with this assessment of something I obviously know jack shit about" is so much intentionally rude as it is just ignorant. In that regard I have to liken the perspective similar to how I would a creationist's. Yes I think they are ignorant the topic, but I can't use that alone to call for their head. The opinion starts interfering with the job, they start using it to justify attacking people or accusing them of horrible behavior, then yeah, in a heartbeat I'll call for the guy to be kicked free with the rest of everyone else. Right now it seems a little too close to just "I don't like your politics so begone".
There was no such humility as admitting he knows nothing about it; I can't see any other way to honestly describe the comments than intentionally insulting and dismissive.

Now, on sexuality, I'd describe his views on that count as ignorant, but not intentionally denigrating, based on the article in the OP. But on gender identity, I can't see it as anything other than intentional denigration.
I have never seen a creationist go "I don't know much about evolution" either. Indeed, it often is the opposite, where their ignorance is presented as fact in spite of actual evidence. Such as the examples showed. On gender identity, he is wrong. However I can't say that is intentional denigration as comes off more as ignorance not malice. The "I don't agree you are what you say you are, because I don't believe what you say you are exists, so you are dumb" seems the line of thought. I don't see him saying such people are horrible immoral monsters or lesser human beings, merely dumb for having a different opinion then himself, which while ironically un-self-aware still doesn't seem malice towards transpeople so much ignorance and refusal to take in contrary information. Call him out, certainly, try to engage and correct the ignorance if you can, but I still can't say I support removal off ignorance and political difference alone. Granted, he is walking a paper thin line in that regard to me and one good twitter ragefest would be enough to convince me otherwise, but for now I can't.

MarsAtlas said:
Ignorance becomes malice when somebody tells you that you're wrong, explains that you're wrong, and you continue to deny it.
Explain that to any creationist, hell, any religious person, global warming denier, etc. Stubborn ignorance is still just ignorance, not malice. Even intentional ignorance is just ignorance, not malice. When we realize that information comes from other sources, and knowledge only comes from sources we trust (knowledge being what we know, not necessarily what is fact), saying ignorance is malice is saying that they are immoral for not believing someone who supports your position. They are factually wrong, and they are ignorant. But being malicious is an incorrect claim.

Funny thing, evangelical creationists are deliberate liars, the lot of them. They know what they're saying isn't true. Interestingly enough, most creationist teachings express a false reasoning that one cannot be a follower of their faith without being a creationist. Some go further to say that its one's duty to spread these creationist lessons.

Given how hilariously easy it is to knock down the "XX Woman, XY Man" proposition, and that its already occurred, I believe its safe to say that Morse's views on trans people, which are harmful, are religious in nature.
I would agree. And it is because of my experiences with religious people of a similar mindset that I have to take the stance I do. Ignorance is just ignorance. When the basis of other opinions, it ripples down, but while one can call someone wrong for arguing with bad information, one can not call them immoral for that alone. Stubbornness doesn't respond well to dictates, and stubborn ignorance doesn't respond to dictated definitions that thy don't already accept. It is a pain in the ass, it is annoying, it is stupid even, but immoral it is not. Nor, for that matter, can I see that sort of stubborn ignorance by itself be reason enough to call for his head.

I know creationists who have ben con artists and swindlers. But I have also known the stubborn faithful who have believed them because of their ignorance and because they reacted poorly to attempts to inform them. I can't call an aged grandmother malicious because she doesn't know better and doesn't trust the messenger trying to teach her otherwise and I can't call this guy malicious because he is responding to a twitter conversation on the topic with the investment you'd expect of a political conversation on twitter. Now, if he uses it to justify attacking people, he uses it as excuse to not help people, he uses it as a means to devalue their rights as humans, then things change. Him disagreeing with what people call themselves because he doesn't believe in gender identity and instead sticks with gender dichotomy is archaic, but I can not call it malicious in nature.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
To quote Lizzy, who is coming to The Escapist as a content creator:

This guy may have some radical beliefs, but that doesn't necessarily have to come out in his works. Nor do his beliefs make him bad at making things. Lovecraft was a massive racist (and possibly beat his wife, memory is shaky on that one). Orson Scott Card is a homophobe yet he writes solid sci-fi. As somebody mentioned Doug Tenapel made Earthworm Jim, one of my favorite alltime platformers.

How many people here use Java?

If he's a bigot in his content, then by all means get him out. If he starts insulting people for not agreeing with his articles get him out. But give the guy a chance, come on.

Talk about tolerance.

small

Aug 5, 2014
wow they are employing someone who is proudly a bigot.
well the escapist have made their position on what they view is acceptable. time to go demand they close my account

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
This thread got impossible to read after a few walls of text so I'm not sure if other trans people have responded. That being said I do have something important to say.

This guy stated the XY = Male and XX = Female, because it's only biology. Ohhh kay.... Then explain this: There are females who are born physically female with XY chromosomes. Males are born some times with YY chromosomes. And some males like me are born male yet have XX for a chromosomal set up. By and large people like this aren't trans and show no outward sign of their chromosomal make up. Some of us are transgendered, hell not even all transgendered people fall into the "want a sex change surgery" category. That's leaving aside his thoughts that being homosexual, trans, or bisexual is a choice. Which I happen to believe it isn't but I also believe it's not all about biology either. The human mind is too complex to hone how we form our sexuality and gender identity on a basis of "it's this one thing!" It's too many factors really to calculate, or possibly properly identify.

Now this guy is a conservative some say. Well I know far too many conservatives who are accepting and perfectly nice people. This guy isn't a conservative he's a bigot.

If he can keep his bigotry out of his content then I'm fine with that. If he'd at least say he accepts people for who they are and how they are then he'd look a lot better in just about everyone's eyes.

As a more or less middle ground libertarian my thought is this: Moviebob was obnoxiously left-wing, this guy looks like he might be obnoxiously right-wing. The only but in my mind is this; I've seen more conservatives who can stay off of political subjects than liberals, so I have a little glimmer of hope for the new hire.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Sorry to show case myself as an absolute dunce, but who is this guy and why should I care? From this thread I've gleamed that he is apparently a new content contributor that has nothing to do with "geek culture".

I'm rather ignorant of the change of management at the moment. Aside from the observable impacts, such as people leaving/getting fired. It feels like there's some kind of apocalypse going on that I haven't bother to check up on.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
G.O.A.T. said:
That confuses me even more to be honest. The only thing that makes any sense to me at all at this point is if this Defy Media is a blatantly conservative entity. Or they find the Escapist to be a money pit and are trying to kill it off. I'm curious enough now to see what else these Defy people produce, see if it all leans toward a particular viewpoint. I just...I just don't get this decision. Even accepting that most corporations aren't real strong on the moral compass, this was a positively SHIT move from a PR standpoint. Because (granted, I select the people surrounding me very carefully) I never see the kind of people that Mr. Morse's rhetoric would appeal to. Maybe Fox News is looking to purchase a gaming site?

On a more positive note, I see your avatar change and...I HAVE NO STRONG FEELINGS ONE WAY OR THE OTHER.

(Tell my wife I said...hello)

;p
What I view it as is simply pandering to different audiences for different properties (an audience that largely doesn't even come here).

Essentially, I'm of the viewpoint that recent events aren't actually about "separating content from political or contentious issues."

It is VERY odd that he'd be a contributor on a site that largely holds political leanings FAR to the left of wherever he is.