A quarter million people petition for the Westboro Baptist Church to be reclassified as a hate group

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
I'm hoping this gets passed. WBC is a disgusting organisation and the idea of them protesting the funerals of those poor children just makes me want to puke.

This would also take away their status as being tax-exempt. Which should have happened years ago.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Rose and Thorn said:
People should be allowed to voice their opinions
Yes, but that's a problem in and of itself. WBC doesn't stop at their opinions. They have physically obstructed people and processions and gone so far in the past as to lay hands on folks. that no longer counts as free speech.

These guys should be jailed already, but they have a bunch of lawyers in their fold, etc.

Also, I would like to see the concept of "fighting words" used against them. Part of their gimmick is to antagonise, get attacked, and then sue. The thing is, what they do really does constitute fighting words a lot, a concept recognised by the Supreme Court as a legit exception to free speech.

There's beenat least one case of it, but the Supreme Court ruled in favour of WBC. However, it was on pretty narrow grounds and regarding a law banning their protests.

The major point I'd make, however, is that this hasn't been a free speech issue for quite some time. If they didn't hide behind freedom of religion, if they weren't a "church," they would have been jailed a long time ago for the stuff they've pulled. Unless they did it to an abortion clinic, because seriously, nobody enforces those laws.
I don't think you read my whole post, there was a "but" after I said that! Hehe

I agree with you of course, I too said it goes beyond free speech and intrudes into hate crimes.

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
I wont argue that they aren't a bunch of a-holes, but they ARE a church. They have a common faith that for some lord only knows reason leads them to believe what they are doing is right by the Lord.
If you want to take them to court for public disturbance, slander, intmidation, etc. then fine. They should have to be held responsible for their outrageous behavior. Meeting them with the opposite, yet equally extreme behavior wont work.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
It's a hate-group AND a scam. All of the higher-ups in the organization are lawyers, they protest military funerals and chant their hate-speech protests just HOPING that someone snaps and assaults one of their members, at which point they sue the pants off the person that snapped.

The best way to get back at them is the exact same way you get back at an internet troll: clown the hell of of them.

...........well after searching youtube briefly for a counter-protest against Westboro in which people dressed like clowns and had funny signs, I can't seem to find it. But yeah, as the saying goes: "The greatest insult one can give to an enemy is to ignore them." Don't give the attention whores the attention they want, just laugh at their ignorant asses.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
I think they should be allowed to express their opinions. But they're gonna have to deal with the consequences. Like, for example, the majority of people hating this church as much as the church hates human decency. Fuck 'em, let them say what they want but people are going to react to it. Like this! If they're going to do the shit they do, they should expect this kind of reaction.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Uhg... another thread where people refuse to see their own hatred and bigotry wanting to gut freedom in the name of defending their personal hatred and bigotry by destroying what they are bigoted against.

Yep, seen enough here. /exit.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
viranimus said:
Uhg... another thread where people refuse to see their own hatred and bigotry wanting to gut freedom in the name of defending their personal hatred and bigotry by destroying what they are bigoted against.

Uhg... another person misunderstanding the concept of rights and refusing to read any counter-point less they might actually have to learn rather than assume.

Superlative

May 14, 2012
viranimus said:

As much as i can't stand these guys, they have a right to freedom of speech and assembly. if we start going after them, whats to stop them from going after me for expressing my own controversial thoughts.

I take special offense to these guys (when i dwell on it). they use my faith, something that is supposed to act as a rock to stand on in hard times and a sacred calling to greater and greater acts of kindness for mere trolling. These guys aren't Christians, but they are Americans and, therefore, cannot have their rights messed with just because they anger people. Luckily, those who act like this, are prone to define intervention working against them.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Maze1125 said:
viranimus said:

Uhg... another person misunderstanding the concept of rights and refusing to read any counter-point less they might actually have to learn rather than assume.
Yes I fully understand the concept of rights. Most likely moreso than most. Ive in fact read all the counterpoints this thread has to offer. I still stand by what I said because it is exactly what I have seen, In this thread and countless threads before it. What Is offered as counter point is basically that of trying to destroy freedom of speech because of the faux enlightened mentality that only views its own viewpoint as acceptable, and anything that conflicts with it is wrong, evil, stupid, unevolved, ignorant, etc etc etc ad nausea. THATS why I said I had seen enough, because ive seen it countless times before.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
viranimus said:
Maze1125 said:
viranimus said:

Yes I fully understand the concept of rights. Most likely moreso than most. Ive in fact read all the counterpoints this thread has to offer. I still stand by what I said because it is exactly what I have seen, In this thread and countless threads before it. What Is offered as counter point is basically that of trying to destroy freedom of speech because of the faux enlightened mentality that only views its own viewpoint as acceptable, and anything that conflicts with it is wrong, evil, stupid, unevolved, ignorant, etc etc etc ad nausea. THATS why I said I had seen enough, because ive seen it countless times before.
And the posts about it being a case of protecting people? Did you miss those, or just ignore them?

And how, exactly, is preventing people from talking in one specific place "destroying freedom of speech"? Especially considering, as pointed out such laws already exist.

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
RJ 17 said:
It's a hate-group AND a scam. All of the higher-ups in the organization are lawyers, they protest military funerals and chant their hate-speech protests just HOPING that someone snaps and assaults one of their members, at which point they sue the pants off the person that snapped.

The best way to get back at them is the exact same way you get back at an internet troll: clown the hell of of them.

...........well after searching youtube briefly for a counter-protest against Westboro in which people dressed like clowns and had funny signs, I can't seem to find it. But yeah, as the saying goes: "The greatest insult one can give to an enemy is to ignore them." Don't give the attention whores the attention they want, just laugh at their ignorant asses.
Dammit... Beating the piss out of one of them was going to be my plan. I have never been legitimately violent toward another person, but they make me want to.

Subscriptism

May 5, 2012
NearLifeExperience said:
I have heard of the WBC having picket rallies at memorial ceremonies for deceased American soldiers, harassing the attending family members and holding up signs that said the dead soldiers are now burning in hell.. as much as I'm against the american military agenda, this is a FUCKED UP thing to do.

I can't believe this wasn't already classified as a hate group the moment they started pulling that shit in America..

Is freedom of speech more important than the right to mourn in peace?
They have done, or are going to do it for the dead children at that school shooting.

Personally, if I had the choice and legal consent I would burn their houses down at night and shoot the ones that come running out. There are certain people that the world doesn't need and is actively worse for having, no one would miss them.

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
Abomination said:
This is NOT a slippery slope, this is NOT about taking a stance against churches, this is NOT about infringing on the rights of others. This is a surgical strike against a group who goes out of its way to be reviled and cause suffering for others. Such legislation should not be feared, it should be embraced. Practical solutions to impractical problems.

The 'church' uses its tax exempt status to make its picketing and harassment even easier to carry out. They have no tax overhead. That is significant.
Freedom of peech is never intended to support popular ideas. It is intended to allow minority opinions to be allowed to speak their mind, no matter how hated and reviled they might be. I would argue that this freedom in neccassary for a free, open minded, and progressing society, ironically things the WBC would not likely agree with. It is one of those cases where even if you don't like what someone is saying, even if you despise, hate, and revile what they are saying you should still stand for their right to free speech. If we claim the authority to shut down religoin's status out of disagreement with their policy then we have sacraficed that freedom.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I agree its a hate group but I dont like the precedent of setting them as one when they're already defined as a religion. Opens up to make any religion (or group lacking their off and get classed as one anyway) to be labeled as one and I know plenty of people who would be of the same opinion for an other sect of christianity, or judiasm or islam or whatever, and then by association YMCAs and people like the salvation army would be hurt and they do far too much good for that.

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
All this talk about violence being committed against them, how come no one has delivered them unto their god?

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
Quadocky said:
All this talk about violence being committed against them, how come no one has delivered them unto their god?
cause most ppl like to spend their time thinking they are some sort of hero but never actually doing anything... like murdering those you don't like cause hitler hit the nail on the head with that one right?

seriously i can't believe how blindly one sided some ppl are in this thread. i assume most of you in here support gay rights so try and picture yourself picketing outside a church or courtroom then having someone tell you to take your protest to a deserted park or corner of a dark alley where it won't bother anyone.
YEAH BUT THATS DIFFERENT CAUSE MY OPINION IS RIGHT AND THEIRS IS JUST STUPID DUUUUUR. yeah except they think their opinion is right and yours will make you burn in hell

FFS the million man march would have interfered with more ppl than these guys ever would, or how bout rosa parks? surely that black ***** must have pissed at least 1 guy off that was peacefully minding his own business just trying to go to work when she ruined his day.

if everyone went around murdering and burning down the buildings of those who had a different opinion then themselves all we would be left with is 1 guy with a can of gasoline and a box of matches cause noone can agree on everything but the ability to share our opinions with others without fear of reprisal is how we further ourselves as a society

i'll stress this again. i do not support what these guys do but they believe in their hearts that what they are doing is saving souls and they are actively attempting to change the world for the (their) better in the best (most effective) way they know how meanwhile everyone else can do nothing more than ***** and moan

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Frankly, I don't think anything[/i] could stop these morons from doing what they do, save for God himself coming down in a shower of divine light and chewing them out for every way in which they have mishandled even the most basic principles of Christianity.

Hell, even that probably wouldn't stop them. They'd probably just make some new signs that say "God Hates God" or something...

It would be so nice if we could somehow get everyone on earth except to pretend that they simply don't exist, but sadly, getting everyone on the same page can be hard.