A Question About Origin

TJ rock 101

May 20, 2008
I recently decided i want the Mass Effect trilogy on Origin (i had the second game on my Xbox but its broken now) and i was wondering how the DLC is handled on Origin.
Is it something i buy from inside the games? because i didn't see any of it from looking at ME2 on the Origin store.

Also is Origin still considered spyware?

Thank you for your time.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
TJ rock 101 said:
I recently decided i want the Mass Effect trilogy on Origin
How.

How?

How on Earth did you come to this decision? Solid blow to the head? Are you being blackmailed? Does EA have your family?!

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Mass Effect 2 DLC is purchased through the Bioware website. Link provided [http://social.bioware.com/page/me2-dlc], in case you want it.

And some people will always consider it spyware. I am, frankly, less concerned. I've got 20 games on it, and have had no problems.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Not Spyware, but the tinfoil hat brigade refuse to accept it. Before you buy from Origin look around, in Australia anyway, Retail and Steam are both cheaper than Origin and you can still register the codes through Origin. I've been doing that with EA games on Steam, just getting the code on Steam and downloading through Origin because for me it is faster.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
I tried to buy Mass Effect 2 DLC once. When I literally couldnt figure out how to buy the fucking Bioware points, where to use them, and how many log-ins I needed I just gave up. How is it possible to design something so terrible?

Maybe its easier with Origin? I dont know. I wont be buying ME3 at least, thats for sure.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Origin was classed as Spyware by the German goverment I think. However they changed the terms and conditions so that it is no longer as bad, that said I still say Origin is pretty crappy.

way2sl0w

Resident COD Fanboy
Jan 29, 2012
octafish said:
Not Spyware, but the tinfoil hat brigade refuse to accept it. Before you buy from Origin look around, in Australia anyway, Retail and Steam are both cheaper than Origin and you can still register the codes through Origin. I've been doing that with EA games on Steam, just getting the code on Steam and downloading through Origin because for me it is faster.
ME3 won't be on steam

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Three posts in and we've already been visited by both the Mass Effect Anti-fans -and- the Origin haters, this thread is off to a good start.

Anyway, to answer your question, As far as I can tell Origin -has- been fixed to only be as intrusive as Steam is, and they're actually rolling out a handful of nice features for it to make it try and at least pretend they have a chance of knocking Steam off its pedestal. As someone above said, you should shop around a bit, EA's prices on Origin can be all over the place, and sometimes you can get pretty badly ripped off depending on where you live.

The DLC is a different kettle of fish, as the only DLC out right now is for 2, which doesn't require Origin, and is purchased through the Bioware social site using their damnable, Microsoft-esque, points. And seeing as how the Reckoner gear showed up in my registered game content on that site, I've the funny feeling that the DLC for 3 will follow suit.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
way2sl0w said:
octafish said:
ME3 won't be on steam
Your point being? The question was about buying ME and ME2 on Origin. Both games are available on Steam and can be registered on Origin if you want to keep them all together with ME3. I can guarantee there will be copies of ME3 in Australian Shops cheaper than on Origin. EA have their head up their arse when it comes to pricing down here.

FrostyChick

Little Miss Vampire.
Jul 13, 2010
Dandark said:
Origin was classed as Spyware by the German goverment I think. However they changed the terms and conditions so that it is no longer as bad, that said I still say Origin is pretty crappy.
Was it changed? I haven't heard anything about this. Could you provide a link to your sources?
Also what was changed about them?
As far as I'm aware it still contains the whole unrestricted access to personal files clause. Although I could be wrong.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
octafish said:
I would like to announce my undying devotion to your avatar.

As for OP, Since all prior BioWare DLC was handled before origin, there's no way to know until the game actually ships. However, based on on BF3's Back to Karkand expansion and Kingdom's of Amalur's dlc, it looks like Origin is trying to standardize a system similar to Steam, where they advertise and sell DLC on the storefront.

Also, fun fact, I just loaded up Origin to fact check and my 4gb ram gaming pc straight up froze for 9 seconds while it was loading. I'm not saying it was running a full system scan, but I'm pretty sure it was running a full system scan.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Yes Rayman Origins is a good and challenging platformer...

...OH mass effect...
sry never played it and don't know anything about this origin stuff.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
FrostyChick said:
Dandark said:
Was it changed? I haven't heard anything about this. Could you provide a link to your sources?
Also what was changed about them?
As far as I'm aware it still contains the whole unrestricted access to personal files clause. Although I could be wrong.
I have never really cared enough to find links so I can't right now but after much complaint I know that EA changed the terms and conditionsm, I assume that it was to avoid being classed as spyware but I don't know.

Origin defenders claim that after the change they are currently the same as Steams but I don't know for sure, they still have that whole unrestricted access thing though, I know that.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Origin is no more spyware than steam this is from the steam privacy policy.
Collection and Use of Information
By using Valve's online sites and products, users agree that Valve may collect aggregate information, individual information, and personally identifiable information, as defined below. Valve may share aggregate information and individual information with other parties. Valve shall not share personally identifiable information with other parties, except as described in the policy below.

Interesting point to note this isn't presented as part of the EULA like it is with origin but by accepting the EULA you accept this as well and also when this gets updated you dont get informed about it when you start steam you have to check it manually which means if steam were to change this to we can sell personally identifiable information to the taliban you could use steam without noticing seems a little bit underhanded to me.

FrostyChick

Little Miss Vampire.
Jul 13, 2010
Dandark said:
I have never really cared enough to find links so I can't right now but after much complaint I know that EA changed the terms and conditionsm, I assume that it was to avoid being classed as spyware but I don't know.

Origin defenders claim that after the change they are currently the same as Steams but I don't know for sure, they still have that whole unrestricted access thing though, I know that.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the whole uproar specifically about the unrestricted access clause? Or at least a good deal of it, I know there were other factors.
Isn't that also why it was considered spyware.
The definition of spyware is software designed to maliciously collect data often without the users consent.
How can EA claim that its status as spyware has been cleared when the offending clause is still contained within the EULAs?

I'm not EA bashing here, but their argument is completely illogical. Heck it makes the tin foil hat brigade look like geniuses.

And the Steam comparison doesn't really hold water, I've read their EULAs too, while Valve can collect data. It's limited to stuff utilised by Steam and Steamworks games. I.e. nowhere near as potentially intrusive.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
FrostyChick said:
Dandark said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the whole uproar specifically about the unrestricted access clause? Or at least a good deal of it, I know there were other factors.
The definition of spyware is software designed to maliciously collect data often without the users consent.
How can EA claim that its status as spyware has been cleared when the offending clause is still contained within the EULAs?

I'm not EA bashing here, but their argument is completely illogical. Heck it makes the tin foil hat brigade look like geniuses.

And the Steam comparison doesn't really hold water, I've read their EULAs too, while Valve can collect data. It's limited to stuff utilised by Steam and Steamworks games. I.e. nowhere near as potentially intrusive.
I have no idea. I have never planned to get Origin so I haven't looked into it but in all the threads about Origin I have always seen some people going on about how the terms and conditions have changed so that it is now equal to Steam. I assume they were telling the truth since I don't think the anti-Steam crowd are that bad yet.
I know many people still complain about it but I don't know what it's like at the moment other than the two opinions that are "Steam sucks and Origin is just as good" and it's counter "Origin sucks and so do EA".

EDIT: That said it is probably a good idea to assume that it is still bad since we are talking about EA here and they haven't exactly got a positive history.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
FrostyChick said:
Dandark said:

The uproar was that they were able to sell the data they collected.

Here is EA current EULA
http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBPRIVACY/EN/en/PC/

And here is steams

http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/
http://www.valvesoftware.com/privacy.html

TJ rock 101

May 20, 2008
Thanks for the help everybody.
I'll purchase the games later today, although i am suddenly really worried that something will go wrong... meh.