A question about PSN being down...

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
In my mind, "down" means not working at all when it comes to websites/online things, and it's no secret PSN has been "down" for about a week. Before the crash, I began downloading two demos from the Playstation store; Swarm and Might and magic: Clash of heroes. I don't know when Swarm finished, but MnM has been downloading bit by bit in the time I spend in the PS3 startup menu, going to "pending" status (as demos most always have when I play certain games) when I start a game.

My question goes thus: If PSN isn't working, why is the downloading process appaently functional? I've been disconnected in the middle of demo downloads before (Force unleashed 2) and it canceled the download entirely, but here it just keeps going.

Sincerest apologies if this has been brought up before.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
The PSN is back up now (in Europe at least) im not sure to what extent it is up, but a patch for Killzone 3 dumped itself on my PS3 from the internet.

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
gigastar said:
The PSN is back up now (in Europe at least) im not sure to what extent it is up, but a patch for Killzone 3 dumped itself on my PS3 from the internet.
Patches go through the developer, not PSN.

Don't get my hopes up like that :(

Jackpot524

Certified Canuck
May 24, 2009
I just got an e-mail from Sony saying that my Playstation account information was compromised... Apparently the network was hacked into and that's why they shut it down.

I'm really not that concerned about the downloads...

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
MysticToast said:
gigastar said:

Wait, how can anything make it through the developer network if the PSN is down?

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
Jackpot524 said:
I just got an e-mail from Sony saying that my Playstation account information was compromised... Apparently the network was hacked into and that's why they shut it down.
That sheds a bit of light on things, at least. I thought the network was hacked so badly it couldn't operate any further. I'm no computer expert, as you may have guesssed.

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
gigastar said:
MysticToast said:
gigastar said:

Wait, how can anything make it through the developer network if the PSN is down?
Because they release it through the internet, so as long as you're connected to the internet, you get the updates.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
MysticToast said:
Because they release it through the internet, so as long as you're connected to the internet, you get the updates.
Is that how it works? I guess that explains the demo thing. Thank you for your time.