A question for all religion

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
Taoist Christian. With a heavy dose of existentialism (whether or not there's a god the existential concerns still remain) and an extra heavy dose of good science (faith healing is wonderful but if you replace antibiotics with it you're an idiot and if you don't take your kids to a doc when they need it you're even worse)

To sum up...take the world as it is, realize everything is a matter of faith to some degree, and practice the three virtues every chance you get: Compassion, frugality, and humility.

axtr

Mar 25, 2009
My philosophy?

I'm a survivalist. I do what I need to do to survive. If that means I need to resort to cannibalism to keep myself alive, then I have no problem with that. I will set aside all moral and ethical restraints if the situation calls for that. Ironically, if the situation does not call for such a reaction, I have a very strict moral code I hold myself to.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
My philosophy boils down to "Honor the gods. Make the most of the fleeting moment in cosmic time that is life on earth. Worry not about the afterlife, you'll have all eternity to figure that part out when you get there."

reinersailer

Sep 3, 2008
With religious symbols, we marked, that we have to believe something. Have a look at: http://www.reinersailer.de/html/bewusstsein.html

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Utilitarianism, it's simple and i like it, it also gives me a practical reason to wear my favourite cargo shorts, god i live cargo pants. Deception is totally fine with me if it's the quickest and easiest solution to a problem, but if it has potential consequences in the long term then I don't lie. I don't believe that a divine being will punish me for doing bad deeds but I still try to be as good as is practical. Logic, practicality, discretion, efficiency are my major ideals,I'm very discreet in most things I do, I don't even like it when my footsteps make noise on the stairs.

This is the only life you get, so don't fuck it up with stupidity and crime.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
I am basically a protestant christian, what the bible doesn't explicitly pontificate, I decide for myself.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
I'm Christian always have been maybe always will be I dunno. My way of thinking is that everyone is entitled to their opinion' I can't prove mine, you can't prove yours. If I'm right I go to heaven and spend the rest of forever happy, if I'm wrong my ashes will float across Earth until the decompose back into the earth. It's not like anyone can point and laugh once they're dead

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
My opinion on religion:
Religion was invented to answer three questions:
1) How was the world/universe formed
2) What's the point/meaning of life
3) What happens when I die
All the various different religions simply built of this template, adding god(s), rules, prayers, etc.
The point of religion is to offer hope and understanding, even if it's false hope and misplaced understanding. The problem with not having religion is that there really isn't much to look forward to in the future, so in that way I "get" religion, and respect it for what it is. But I don't believe in it.

If you want my opinion of death, try to imagine what it was like before you were born, or really, conceived. Or, alternatively, imagine waking up from sleep when you haven't been dreaming, and try to imagine the time between when you were asleep and when you woke. Now try to imagine that without ever waking up. That's death.
Don't worry if it does you're head in, I'm in doubt as to whether the human mind was designed to even be able to comprehend it's own demise. Not exactly filled with hope, but I guess that's life.

Marv21

Jan 1, 2009
My Opinion: Religon is good

Your guys majority opinion: Religon is bad

MY TRUE RELIGON: Nelsonism, making it up right now! Our religon is not to look up into the skys but focus onto the earth, wether god exists or doesn't doesn't have a point, its that if or if he doesn't exist he would want us to create a utopia for everyone.

-The main prinicpals of Nelsonism(listed in importance)-

1. Respect your fellow man, if you don't like him, at least respect him.
2. Fight for justice and making the world a better place at any cost.
3.If someone does something bad he will get it in the end, yes, we do believe in some sort of karma.
4. Philospize on the workings of the world
5. Be yourself
6. We shall respect our leaders but if they don't make the quality of life better, or at least get us through a troubled time at around the same positon were in they should not be leaders.
7. One of the main points in life is to learn, and reflect. And to share you learnings with others who would benefit from this.

The main job is to create a utopia by any means nessesary. God may not come from the sky and make everything perfact, so we have to do it!

Who would join my church?

SnowCold

Oct 1, 2008
Never judge a man by his belifes, you shouldn't care if you are sure he will suffer in hell because for it anyways

Bobojo11

Mar 16, 2009
In my opinion...

religion has caused more problems for this world than every other thing combined. period.
practically every armed conflict in the past 2000 years has had some sort of religious disagreement behind it. it also manages to suck money out of people and brainwash them into thinking that it is right to press your views onto someone else because you are "saving" them.

i also agree with the person above about our place in the universe. in one word: insignificant. we have EXTREMELY short lifespans with regard to other things, and because of that i do not think that any human being has the ability to come to a rational conclusion about the greater workings of the universe.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
I am technically Christian, but instead of following the letter of the "law", I prefer to follow the overlying guidelines. I believe in things that science can prove, i.e. evolution. My philosophy is being an overall good person, and I honestly don't care if people disagree with my beliefs as long as we can respect what we each choose to believe. So, I just try to be a respectful person to everyone, regardless of beliefs or what they think of my own. Sometimes I wish everyone acted like that all the time, myself included.

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
Why do you fight for god? the other guy will probably fight for god as well...

and all gods (if there are any) are the same, just with different names

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
I am a Christian, and proud of it. I do not doubt for a second that I will not go to Heaven when I die. No, I do not have all of the answers. There are topics in the Bible which still confuse me. I believe that man will never have all of the answers. I am not the type of person who tells people of other religions that they are stupid. I know that God loves even the most horrible criminal and that there is a second chance for everyone. That is why God sent Jesus to die for our sins. It has nothing to do with giving Himself permission to not send us to hell. Jesus was the perfect sacrifice to cover everyone's sin. It is so people don't have to sacrifice animals every day to be forgiven of their sin like in the Old Testament. I am not trying to preach or make other people change their opinions. I am stating my views on this topic.
(This is a very touchy subject so it is easy for people to get mad about it)

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
I will leave it at Pagan(for lack of a better term since you can't classify me into anything specific that falls under that because i take things out of all of the classifications under pagan) and getting ready to be baptized Mormon. I'll explain if anyone asks but for now i'm going to polish my sword and daggers for ren faire.

slxiii

Sep 17, 2008
My philosophy?
Ahem. Atheists intentionally start threads based on religion/change the topic to religion so that they can troll religious people for being religious. They'll claim to want a logical argument, and even though they know full well that the basis for a religion is FAITH, not logic, they will troll said religious person for their highly illogical statements.

Atheists will pick the religion of a reply poster and blast it, citing every person ever killed in that religions name. Atheists will constantly claim that a huge majority of wars were caused for no reason other than religious difference.

Atheists will always try to convince religious people that their religion is wrong, even though they have nothing to gain from doing so.

Atheists, even though they spend more time than the average religious person looking through books on religion, still cite old testament passages and commandments as proof that Every form and branch of Judaism condones murder, genocide- you name it, but they do this knowing full well that the new testament nullifies nearly every jewish law in the old testament

Bit of a rant, but there you go.